Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

Harley Enthusiasts

Hello All...

As you can tell by my signature, I have a 2010 Ultra Limited... While working on my bike (installing new Boom speakers), I inadvertently left the ignition on.. Well, my battery is now dead.. I've hooked up my trickle charger and it has yet to charge... I fear I've "killed" the battery..

I'm not too mad about it.. the bike is five years old and the battery is original equipment.. I am the 2nd owner (just got in October) and I don't know how the original owner took care of the battery.

I have a couple questions:
  1. How long did your HD battery last ?
  2. What are some suggested ways to maintain the battery best during the winter months ? (take out vs leave in)
  3. If you've replaced your battery... which brand did you buy ?
I just got off the phone with the local HD dealership and they are charging $180 for a new one... If you've replaced your battery and went with another brand.. which did you go with.. what's your experience been with brand X..

Facts is.. HD isn't in the battery business.. so obviously someone is making it for them.. does anyone know who...

Sorry for the completely off topic thread on an RV forum... but I'm bored and we're expecting another winter blast, AKA polar vortex, here in WI and I miss my bike.. my RV... and it makes me feel better talking about one or the other.. or both at the same time...

I'm lucky to have chose two hobbies/pastimes that blend real well together..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

I changed mine at 6 years, 2008. The original battery still will start the bike, but I didn't want to get stranded. I bought a factory replacement. The bike is hooked up to a smart trickle charger all the time it is parked at home. I start it about once per week and let it warm up for about 20 minutes.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

Battery Tender for maintenance and charging. Big Crank battery for OEM replacement. Worked great on both of mine!
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

A "trickle charger" will not recharge a dead battery for what little I know... Put it on a real charger for a few hours... But 5 yrs is getting old for most batteries....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
A "trickle charger" will not recharge a dead battery for what little I know... Put it on a real charger for a few hours... But 5 yrs is getting old for most batteries....

I'm kinda in agreement with monkey. I'd try a real regular charger for a few hours.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #6

According to his questions it looks like he wants to replace his dead battery (not revive it) and then maintain the new battery. That's the direction of my comment.
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Eric,
I have an 04 Ultra Classic and my battery was 10 years old, still working but a Harley Mechanic told me I was pushing my luck.
I ordered the following...HDX30L from this web page.
ThrottleX Batteries: Original Equipment (OE) Harley-Davidson Replacement Battery (HDX30L)

As others have said, use a trickle charger if not using the bike for extended period.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #8

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Not all "trickle" chargers are equal...a Battery Tender does a much better job of maintenance without you needing to check the battery frequently during those cold winter months. I haven't had to buy a new battery for any of my bikes in 20+years. I've been too busy for the last 7 months building a new house. Cranked my '04 Beemer for the first time yesterday, turned over like it had a brand new battery, thanks to a Battery Tender.
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
5 years on a motorcycle battery is riding on borrowed time. Batteries start slowly degrading with time even properly maintained. Especially small cell motorcycle batteries. I replace mine every 4 years, unless the bike makes me do it sooner.
There are better options out there than the $180 HD battery. Last battery I bought for my Road King was an absorbed glass mat (agm) type off Amazon. Had good service from it, up to the time I traded the bike for my Limited.
As others have said, an electronic battery charger/maintainer like Deltran's "battery tender" or similar will keep it charged between rides. Your Limited has electronics that draw from the battery constantly (radio, alarm, etc.).
Good luck and RideSafe.
Bigdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
This is where I bought from last year Harley-Davidson ® FL, FLH Series (Touring & Police) Motorcycle Battery - BatteryMart.com , great quality battery, no need to spend the money for OEM unless you have extra money to toss down...........
FREE SHIPPING to boot!
Old 02-19-2015, 05:05 AM   #11

Interstate is making and for Harley now. About $130 Got one for a friend for 08 Street Glide. So far so good. I've got a 6 year old Deka in my 84 Shovelhead with Battery Tender I use at times. Hope it makes it thru this cold winter
Alrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:17 AM   #12

I replace the battery on my Heritage every 3 years. It still works but I view it as maintenance. $ 100 bucks or so is cheap compared to sitting out somewhere not being able to start. The battery in a Heritage sits in the middle of a hot oil tank which likely shortens it's life. I'd rather change it at my leisure when and where I chose rather than wait for it to tell me when to do it
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #13

Yep, I have the battery tender pigtail peaking out from under my seat. Whenever I park it in the garage, I plug it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska 2007 071.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	86455  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile HD battery

Hi from CO. Well, think 5 years out of the battery isn't too bad. Suspect if you hadn't left the key on and ran it dead now, it probably would have failed in the next summer. No doubt somewhere inconvenient. lol I also have a 2010 HD Ultra and also the second owner. I do use a trickle charger through the off months but also try to get at least 1 ride in every month. I replaced my battery last summer and went back with OE$M HD. Difference, HD, I believe has a two year warranty and one from Battery's Plus, a one year. As for trickle charger, you can purchase one through Harbor freight for much less than the HD one. Doubt there will be any difference. Have you done any mods on your ride? Mine is stock with exception of having the Cats removed.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote