Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #127

Thor Owners Club
i don't agree with the thought that travellers should apply for travel visa's in their own country. That smacks of 1960's communist state control. I like the comment that we all want police to hammer and arrest the crooks, control and seal the border, but don't hassle me in the process. And the funny thing is that if your stopped and asked questions and perhaps the LEO has a look around your RV we consider this to be an invasion of privacy or an infringement of personal rights. I think police are more pro active in doing their jobs to keep our communities safe and the crooks/smugglers/terrorists are getting smarter too. Yes we all know how someone can write a story that leaves us scratchin our heads and wondering if it actually happended, but 99% of the time LEO's do their jobs proffesionally with the best intentions of keeping you and your families safe. There will always be folks that just have to take jabs and whine about their rights, generally they are the folks that do the least to support authorities in dealing with issues like illegals running the border or drug dealers using RVs to transport drugs. I'd rather be stopped and questioned than have the same LEO not bothering to take action after being beaten down by the politically correct who have armchaired the police to death. These same folks generally never right a good story how police/authorities helped them....because thats there right, to expect service....their way

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #128
Pnr

Well ,yeah let em go stand shoulder to shoulder on the border if that is what it takes!!!

Don't seem like they are too hog-tied, on Interstate 10 or even 20 or 37 where I got to meet em . They are Border patrol lets get em on the border where they belong. Stop the illegals from setting foot on our soil.

And NO I am not interested in giving up a single right that I have.

Paul

Old 05-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #129

I tell them, "I am going to see a man about a horse!"

Mercedes MBE 926
Old 05-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #130
Pnr

State control where does it stop ? Hopefully it stays in the limits of our constitution !

Bet they would like to do a cavity search on the horse, if he was within a hundred miles of the border i know they would . Lol
Old 05-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #131

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnr View Post
Well ,yeah let em go stand shoulder to shoulder on the border if that is what it takes!!!

Paul

Every served your country, sir?

Old 05-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #132
Pnr

Yes sir. Your point being ?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #133

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
In my experience, people that say "let somebody else do it!" "not my problem!" and so on about societal issues are generally NOT vets.

That's all.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #134

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
TXiceman, I understand your problem and would stand right beside you to stop it. I don't envy you folks one bit for having to deal with this, but I won't tolerate an overzealous stop and search. just as stated above,
But some of this stuff goes a little bit over the top.
I was stopped at Thanksgiving by a local State Trooper, what was he looking for a possible DUI, why me ? he saw me take a sip from my recently purchased coffee, his reason to stop me,,,didn't use my turn signal to change lanes. Was I speeding and driving erratic,,,nope. I have to admit the trooper was polite and so was I, but don't waste my time because you thought you saw something and then go fishing for something else,, Trooper, do you have anything in here I should know about all the while the flashlight was searching my truck, Me, Nope Didn't ask what was in the cup either. I had given him my DL and Registration, Trooper Anything I should know about these before I check'em,,, me, nope! Flashlight still searching and he was a sniffing, no booze in here and nothing to smell.....
Trooper, Do you know why I stopped you? me, Nope. Trooper you didn't use you turn signal to signal your lane change back there. Me..Oh thats unusual for me because I always do that, must have been because I saw no cars around me to signal, Trooper didn't know what to say to that..
Trooper ....well you have a good holiday and drive safely,,, Me Well sir you do the same goodnight.
Don't waste my time for a feel good program,,,stop the people that need stopping.
For what you folks are dealing with this is small small potatoes but we are slipping down that slippery slope.
Failure to signal lane change is a violation of the traffic code. Period. His stopping you following your illegal action is proper. The fact that he did not write you a citation or take you straight to jail (which he could do here in Texas) is entirely within his discretion. His actions tell me he is being proactive in stopping illegal activity. Here, Here, to his good job well done!

But this is off from the OP, that being The Border Patrol. I might remind you that the millenium bomber was stopped at the border by an agent doing exactly what many are complaining about, stopping, speaking to and examining each and every car and driver that comes through their check point.

In order to have a secure community, I believe it is incumbent for each and everyone of us to assist in making that happen. The authorities cannot be everywhere at once and without the help of the citizens, their job IS impossible.

Why is it that we want officers to provide security to us, set the parameters within which that job is to be accomplished and then complain when they perform within those same parameters?

Yes, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. And further, I think it is necessary for us to cooperate with the authorities in order to keep our loved ones safe. IMHO
Old 05-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #135
Pnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief
In my experience, people that say "let somebody else do it!" "not my problem!" and so on about societal issues are generally NOT vets.

That's all.
Ok, but I'm not wanting somebody else to do anything. Illegals and border patrol 100+ miles from the border is a problem to me. We have a system in place to deal with the problem ,I just want it to work, and not be rogue.

Paul
Old 05-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
Advise from Experience on Crossing Canada to USA

Where to begin. I have been wintering in Arizona for the past four years. I owned a home in Canada, and rented condos on Phoenix. Three years, no problem at the border, either way. Thinking I would go to Arizona every winter for 3 or 4 months, I purchased a condo last spring. I also sold my house in Canada, as I would't be there a lot, and maintenance while I was away was costly. I bought an rv to live in while in Canada, then park it for the winter and go back to AZ.
Here is where it gets fun. Last December I attempted to cross at Blaine, WA. After telling the dude I owned a condo in AZ and was going there for 4 months, I got pulled over into the check area. After going in and standing in line for the better part of an hour, I got to the Agent. After explaining all to him, and after FIVE hours of waiting, I was denied entry because I could not prove sufficient "Ties and Equities" to the agent. His perception was that I could just go AZ and stay full time, and that I could have been living there and just crossed over and back down.
I went back to Canada and photocopied my pension, income tax, bank and charge card statements, as well as financial records to prove I was self sufficient fund wise.
Two days later tried to cross again with ALL the info they said I needed. Two hours and 101 questions, they allowed me to cross, stating that I should bring all the same documentation with me this fall to cross into the USA.

So I guess the lesson of the day is that if you own property in the USA, and do not own in Canada, ensure you have ALL the appropriate paperwork with you to ensure you can prove you have Ties and Equities to Canada.

Have all appendages crossed for this falls crossing.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #137
Pnr

Yes, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. And further, I think it is necessary for us to cooperate with the authorities in order to keep our loved ones safe. IMHO quote.

This has got to be the most uninformed statement, and the scariest.. I have nothing to hide either. your local police are fighting the war on drugs, looking for drugs daily.

You have nothing to hide in your home, invite them to come search your home when ever they want.. Better yet give them a key so they can check you out anytime day or nite!

Help them win the war, remember you have nothing to hide! Let them rummage thru your possessions any time, you have nothing to hide.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #138

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't read any responses to the OP nor do I intend to. However, if the Border Patrol were to stop me, I would happily answer any of their questions and let them search my MH to their heart's content. They have a thankless job and I will not make it more difficult. I passed through a BP check point on the way down to Big Bend a couple months ago and other than some innocuous chatter with them, I was passed through in five minutes or less. Possibly the fact that I have Texas plates and live in Texas may have something to do with it. Age certainly doesn't as I'm past 70.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #139

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnr View Post
Yes, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. And further, I think it is necessary for us to cooperate with the authorities in order to keep our loved ones safe. IMHO quote.

This has got to be the most uninformed statement, and the scariest.. I have nothing to hide either. your local police are fighting the war on drugs, looking for drugs daily.

You have nothing to hide in your home, invite them to come search your home when ever they want.. Better yet give them a key so they can check you out anytime day or nite!

Help them win the war, remember you have nothing to hide! Let them rummage thru your possessions any time, you have nothing to hide.
Excellent idea!!! Talk about uninformed. We're talking about Border Patrol and the search your vehicle at check points!!

But since you mention it, My neighbor has a key to my home with strict instruction to allow the police to search whenever they want. Usually their search follows an alarm activation. Great time to invoke the 4th amendment protection, woldn't you say?
Old 05-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #140

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
PNR, please tell me where there is a Border Patrol checkpoint on I20 or I37. I have driven the length of both of these Interstate Highways on several occasions and have as yet to see one.

Jerry

Closed Thread