Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #155

Solo Rvers Club
[QUOTE= And if you think the Bill of Rights is a guarantee, please re-read. Those rights are privileges, not a guarantee.[/QUOTE]

This is the quote from the previous post that prompted me.

Bill of Privileges? Really?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #156

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Where does it say they are privileges? I really like our Bill of Rights, and I don't remember any wording about privileges that can somehow be revoked!

It is called the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Privileges!

I'm serious. Where does this come from? Thanks for any enlightenment on this one....
I'd have to ask the same thing.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #157

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was in the military for 6 years and served overseas in a combat zone. I have a problem with jack - booted officers taking liberty with their badges and I'll be the first to remind them that I don't need papers to move from state to state 'comrade'. As far as border patrol I have a lot of respect for these guys, they are outgunned at every position and their adversary is well versed in the profiles they are looking for. They are the first and often only defense this country has. I've got nothing but respect for what they do and funny it must show because I've never been stopped although I've been through the checkpoints over and over again.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #158

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never been mistreated or harrassed by the Border Patrol
traveling thru Arizona and Texas.
We have a security wire fence across the DMZ of Korea,
and a security wire fence around Area 57,
YET securing our southern borders are suppose to be impossible.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #159

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
...And before I am reminded by someone that the Texas border is 2000 miles and too big to cover, let me point out that we seem willing to spend hundreds of billions of US dollars (that we do not have, by the way) to create a war in a country that never attacked us or even threatened to attack us? Why not spend all that money on our own border security?...
I was reluctant to mention that since it could shut the thread down but since you brought it up, AMEN!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #160

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I was reluctant to mention that since it could shut the thread down but since you brought it up, AMEN!
No names, no parties, just a policy gripe....
Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #161

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale60 View Post
For those who complain, have you checked the laws of your state lately? In Arizona they have passed a law requiring LEOs to ask anyone they stop. And since profiling is illegal, and since LEOs have to account for all stops they make, how else to they prove they are not profiling? Less government? Do you really think you'd have more rights? You'd have states competing against each and passing laws against each other just like this country did after the Revolutionary War. The problems created by the lack of power for the federal government, and the states competing and arguing and going to war against each other is the reason the Constitution was created. And if you think the Bill of Rights is a guarantee, please re-read. Those rights are privileges, not a guarantee.
One of the purposes of SB1070 was to put a stop to law enforcement agencies ignoring situations when there is adequate reason to believe someone they are in contact with is an illegal alien, especially since some were and some weren't. Profiling isn't necessary to suspect someone of being here illegally. Various things, such as body language, poor or no English, driving too slowly (in addition to other factors), etc. are more than adequate, especially body language.

When I worked for a convenience store chain, I usually knew the moment someone walked into the store if they were going to shoplift or do a beer run. I stopped a lot of that activity simply by getting on the phone with the police (I still know the direct number--faster than 911--by heart) and obviously watching the individual. Most would change their minds, often while in the act of carrying the merchandise from the store, rather than risk getting caught. It was mostly body language that gave them away, things like coming in from the west end of the lot where they could park out of sight, waiting until the store cleared out before coming in, watching me when they came in, the way they would walk, wandering aimlessly around the store, etc. especially when more than one of these behaviors were present. Large handbags were always suspect (at one of the stores I worked at, backpacks and large handbags were prohibited). So were coats when the weather was warm. Again, all I had to do was watch them.

I reported a possible shoplifter to the grocery store I shop at based only on the way she was dressed and was behaving. It was summer, she was dressed too well to be homeless (probably ruling out she was just trying to get out of the heat but not conclusive by itself), was wearing a heavy shawl that covered the open top of a large handbag hanging on her shoulder, and was wandering aimlessly through the store without a shopping cart or basket, picking up items and putting them back. Store security managed to catch her in the act on camera.

LEOs are far better at reading behaviors than I am. Many collars for crimes happen because of stops made just for suspicious behaviors which hold up in court. Profiling is completely unnecessary.

As far as the Bill of Rights being priveleges goes, what utter twattle! Since when does rights equate privilege? I would like to see you back that comment up.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #162

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I totally agree. I am blond haired and blue eyed, but wasn't even born and raised in the US. I am from Germany. However, I became an American Citizen in 1988 and served in the US Army for 5 years, including Desert Storm.

This kind of racial bias started in the 50s with the Japanese internments and has now spread to Latinos and people of middle eastern descent. Not all muslims are terrorists and the border patrol is trying to keep them separated and keep YOU safe. Instead of complaining, you should be thanking them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdat View Post
"This was a total BS stop as we are as white as can be and were born and raised in the US."
"I felt like asking the agent questioning me if he was a citizen as he was most noticeably of Mexican decent but I knew doing so would just prolong the search as you never want to flunk the attitude test. "

What does the color of your skin, or the ethnic background of the agent have to do with any of this.
It appears to me that the only issue here is your attitude!
BTW, the drug cartels use plenty of older white folks as mules because of attitudes by folks like you.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #163

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm glad you think this is nothing more than security theater. I'm married to a LEO and I can tell you that a lot of terrorist acts have been stopped in the last 10 years that the public knows nothing about. If you think for one minute that AL Qaeda and other radical groups have given up, then you are sadly misguided and living in a dream world. Instead of complaining about what law enforcement is doing to make your life inconvenient, why don't you try thanking them for keeping you safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
And Ken, I reply to you that the life we have here is rapidly being changed from a free country to a police state all in the name of "safety" and "terrorism prevention", when most of the so called solutions are nothing more than security theatre. There are ways to protect ourselves from those who would do us harm, but rampant political correctness has TSA agents fondling six year old girls and embarrassing eighty year old grandmothers in wheelchairs. Ditto for Border Patrol agents asking me for my citizenship status fifty miles inland from the border. They should be asking that question AT the border. Next you'll be seeing random checks in the heartland, all in the name of "safety". Ever heard of a TSA VIPR team? In my humble opinion those guys are only slightly removed from the Nazi stormtrooper demanding "are your papers in order?"

Remember what Benjamin Franklin had to say about giving up liberties for safety, saying those who give up liberty for safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #164

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, and that's how the terrorists of 9/11 got away with going to flight school. We don't live in the innocent fifties anymore. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee and live in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnr View Post
Oh yeah, it ain't none of their business where I been or where I'm goin.

We are in America, I don't need permission or travel papers, to drive down the road !!!!

Paul
Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #165
Pnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsauerkraut
Yep, and that's how the terrorists of 9/11 got away with going to flight school. We don't live in the innocent fifties anymore. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee and live in the real world.

Well , you have a good day standin in line trying to get a travel pass . Were those terrorists blond haired and blue eyed ? Didn't think so.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #166
Pnr

. Not all muslims are terrorists and the border patrol is trying to keep them separated and keep YOU safe. Instead of complaining, you should be thanking them.

[/QUOTE]

But all terrorists seem to be Muslim........ Hmmm.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #167

Quote:
The problems created by the lack of power for the federal government, and the states competing and arguing and going to war against each other is the reason the Constitution was created.

That was called The Civil War, in 1861 about 80 years after our Constitution.

One line from the purpose statement of The Constitution was "to provide for a common defense."
Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #168

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
... And if you think the Bill of Rights is a guarantee, please re-read. Those rights are privileges, not a guarantee.
I just re-read the Bill of Rights, per your suggestion. I failed to locate the part about them being revokable or 'privileges'. Please enlighten me.
Closed Thread