Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #169

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnr View Post
Were those terrorists blond haired and blue eyed ? Didn't think so.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #170

When they ask me "are you a US citizen" I tried to think of what I regularly carry to prove that. Nothing! Most of us don't travel around the US with our passports. Drivers license doesn't prove citizenship. I don't carry my SS card anymore. So I wonder what is the point of the question?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #171

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
When they ask me "are you a US citizen" I tried to think of what I regularly carry to prove that. Nothing! Most of us don't travel around the US with our passports. Drivers license doesn't prove citizenship. I don't carry my SS card anymore. So I wonder what is the point of the question?
I imagine the point is to gauge your response rather than to have you prove it.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #172

Only in America would we make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their homecountries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege while we discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just become American citizens.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #173
Pnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca
I knew somebody would bring that up. But I don't believe in the tooth fairy either.

So flame away.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #174

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnr View Post
I knew somebody would bring that up. But I don't believe in the tooth fairy either.

So flame away.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #175

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I'm guess I'm missing something here. Do ya'll think that all of the illegals that come across the border are coming through the border crossings? Because from what I have read in most of these posts that seems to be the train of thought. Well that train needs to be derailed right now. You would be surprised at how adept they are getting across all along the border and, not just coming across into Texas but, the entire border from California to Texas. And, guess what they're not all Hispanic either. That is why there is a checkpoint at Sierra Blanca, nearly 100 miles from El Paso. Also if you think they don't know that checkpoint is there, oops, another surprise. So, like I've said before, I support what the Border Patrol is doing at that checkpoint.

Jerry
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #176

New Horizons Owners Club
Our son is an LEO also and in a very poor and crime ridden area. He also knows by training and experience the folks who will be trouble and who won't. Yes, we all want our "rights," but if those "rights" endanger others, they cease being rights.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #177

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm Canadian, living in Canada. I have crossed your border(s) many times over the last 40 years or so; in a car for the first 30 and in a motor home the balance. I have always respected, understood, and appreciated the manner in which I was treated by the Folks at the border who represent your first line of defence even though there was the odd, overly zealous Chap from time to time. I have taken my coach to the southern texas, Arizona, NM, and California parts many times. My Sister has lived in southern california for 32 years now and we have a couple of what you call LEO's in the family. My Son in in the Canadian Army helping to find those terrorists that many of you don't seem to think exist outside our own Countries. I think a bunch of folks commenting on this thread should a/ pick any spot within eyesight of the Rio Grande or Mexican Border (your choice of State) and b/ drive off the main roads to pick a spot to boondock for a few nights then c/ when you hear those noises at 2 a.m. or see (what you think is) a small group of shadows passing close by or even approaching your site you should d/ decide whether to call an armed Border Patrol Guard(s), State Trooper, or the ACLU? Oh, and don't forget, whichever group you choose shows up make sure they treat your visitor / guests properly, showing all due respect and consideration for their rights, and, naturally taking the time to do so in good order - I'm sure you won't mind putting your Personal safety or potential violation(s) behind those all important considerations you keep going on about?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #178

National RV Owners Club
I fully support the BP check points within our borders. But they do need to be mobile. The reason for this was stated earlier, the illegals/drug runners know where they are located so they just avoid them. Make them mobile and even bring them further North. Wonder how many illegals/drug runners would be caught on I-70 between Utah and Colorado. I have always wanted to yell out INS in my local Walmart to see what happens to all the customers speaking other then english. (Sorry just couldn't resist that).
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #179

New Horizons Owners Club
To those who question that all rights are guarantees, think of freedom of speech and the Supreme Court ruling that says you cannot yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater. If those rights threaten others, the government has the right, and has already done so by taking away "rights." Think of the Patriot Act enacted by Pres. Bush, and supported by Pres. Obama, if you question this. And please remember these Presidents are on opposite ends of the political spectrum. For both to take this stance there is obviously a lot that we citizens are not aware of.
Please don't think I'm clueless. My husband and I both lost the vast majority of our family in concentration camps during WWII. We both had relatives who fought in the underground against the Nazis.
And the wars between the states occurred right after the revolutionary war, during the federalist period. States fought over claims of whose property was whose, etc. Suggest you read history books such as "Angry Mobs and The Founding Fathers" which is only one of many.
And if you further think these "rights" are guarantees, think of the Muslims born in America whose rights are being suppressed because of fear of Muslims in general. Not all Muslims are Muslimists. Should I judge all Christians as being full of hatred because of the Westboro hate church in Kansas? Or think of motorists who refuse to wear seat belts and are uninsured? Should my insurance premiums have to go up because they don't like government regulations and our laws say they have to treated regardless of their ability to pay medical costs? The same goes for smoking. Should my health be threatened because others believe they should be allowed to smoke anywhere?
I feel these folks have the right to do as they please so long as they don't expect medical care if they get sick or injured or harm my health (i.e., second hand smoke). If all folks were responsible citizens, then we wouldn't need many of the laws we have. And please, before you start blaming one political side or another, remember both sides have either increased the size of government or tried to pass their morals along to the rest of the country, not caring about the beliefs of others (e.g. prohibition).
People are very selfish nowadays and many don't care about how their actions affect others. While I realize many will not agree with me, please know I do my best to be a good citizen, leaving only footprints behind and not damaging the environment or hurting others.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #180

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I imagine the point is to gauge your response rather than to have you prove it.
Exactly. The question itself is stupid since all you have to do is lie about it.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #181

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Exactly. The question itself is stupid since all you have to do is lie about it.
Actually I don't remember them asking if I'm a US Citizen, it has usually been where were you born or where are you from? And what they are listening for is how you answer it, to determine if you may have a non-US accent. Thus the response from the Agent when he asked the wife where she was from and I answered, he quickly said "let her answer the question".

When I rode up to Quartzsite from Yuma with my friends from Canada, we were asked where we were from. I said SLC, UT and they said B.C. They were asked for their passports and I was asked for nothing, even though I get taken for Mexican all the time. So when they ask a question they are looking for how you answer, accent/body language. If you think the question doesn't mean anything try responding for any passenger in your vehicle.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #182

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
If you think the question doesn't mean anything try responding for any passenger in your vehicle.

I'm laughing because that statement takes me back many years to the first time my husband and I crossed into Canada from the U.S.

Gregg was driving, and when the Border Guard at the window asked "Are you U.S. citizens?", my Beloved blurted out "Well, I AM!!!"...interpreted of course by the Guard to mean that MY citizenship might be worth looking into.

The question was quickly settled between me and the guard.
But it was a while before I forgave my husband for putting me on the spot!