Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Traveling East just out of El Paso Texas on I10 today when we had to stop at a border patrol check point. When we pulled up to the agent we were told to pull over as their dog supposedly alerted to drugs in our motorhome. The wife and I were asked to exit the motorhome separated and questioned while four agents and a dog inspected the inside of our coach. They kept asking if we were citizens and that we needed to be truthful or things would go bad for us. This was a total BS stop as we are as white as can be and were born and raised in the US. At 66 the only drugs we carry are for blood pressure and diabetes, if their dog was alerting on that they better retrain him. I felt like asking the agent questioning me if he was a citizen as he was most noticeably of Mexican decent but I knew doing so would just prolong the search as you never want to flunk the attitude test. I wonder how many illegal's snuck into the US while they were screwing with us. Our government at work as usual.
Some of you are comparing this Border Patrol Checkpoint to entering or leaving the US.
Not the same.
Some of you are comparing this Border Patrol Checkpoint to TSA checkpoints.
Not the same.

These checkpoints are on a U.S. highway...miles away from any border between the U.S. and Mexico.
I personally feel that being required to state your citizenship while traveling INSIDE the U.S. is a violation of freedom. And...I would have to think long and hard about the legality of searching my motorhome because of a dog while I was simply traveling along a U.S. highway.

(moderator edit)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #16

I would trust the Dog's nose a hell of a lot faster than the word of the majority of whiners around.

Ed

Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw this same post on RV.net this morning, and I will respond with the same comment here.

We have come through that very same check point and we APPRECIATE the Border Patrol checking for illegal aliens and drug smuggling! It sounds like they acted in a professional manner, and the dog did alert. You are retired, so what is the big deal in cooperating and losing 45 minutes?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We do not have animals and would object to agents taking dogs into our motor home! I suppose this would only cause me more problems but darn it, I would still object.

burfurd.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
These checkpoints are on a U.S. highway...miles away from any border between the U.S. and Mexico.
I personally feel that being required to state your citizenship while traveling INSIDE the U.S. is a violation of freedom. And...I would have to think long and hard about the legality of searching my motorhome because of a dog while I was simply traveling along a U.S. highway.
They are a secondary border check and are allowed within X miles of a border crossing.

The border crossings are also inside our borders, BTW.

So riddle me this:
You don't want to be asked to state your citizenship, but they're not allowed to discriminate based on race, creed, or color. In other words, they can't only ask the brown people. Besides, you an a German are largely the same color of white. One of you is an American citizen one is not.

You don't get to think long and hard about it. It's not a choice you get to make. If they want to search you, they're going to search you. It's the price you pay for being within X miles of Mexico. These are not consent based searches where probable cause and culpable suspicion apply.

If you want to be offended - be offended by the TSA. The TSA spends billions of your tax dollars. Their ill-trained low-budget employees have been caught stealing from travelers time and time again. They consistently show a lack of common sense and common courtesy, especially when dealing with the elderly and children.

They are simply too great a fiscal cost for a minimal uptick in safety that probably can never be measured objectively.

Does anyone really think the American people will ever stand by again when an airline gets highjacked? I think they wont.

What's worse, I can walk into almost any general aviation airport in the world and board a plane without a single security sweep or ever having to show my ID.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to brandypup
Ah great. So a german, a redneck and their blonde blue eyed daughter and the other daughter who looks like Dora the Explaorer are crossing this junk in June. With pets and home made pet food. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion to my wild ride...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #21

I can't get to I-10 in any direction without going thru one of those check points. I go thru them about 2 times a week.

I wish they had twenty agents at every one of them and searched every vehicle.

Ohh and guess what you gotta speak spanish to graduate from the acadamy.

Partial list of PB agent requirements:
  1. Undergo an extensive background investigation.
  2. Accept appointments at any location the border in which you are in process.
  3. Work rotating shifts, many at night.
  4. Work long and irregular hours, including weekends and holidays.
  5. Work alone.
  6. Learn the Spanish language.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
bdpreece: Sounds like a not very pleasant experience...
I agree we have remember the officers are doing their job. But "attitude" works both ways and it's not that difficult to make a necessary evil more tolerable for both..

BTW I just checked to make sure I wasn't on RV Net, some folks need to get up on the other side of the bed.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Have to remember these folks at the border, your sons and daughters, husbands and wives, are committed to keeping the country safe. Given what the world has become and the fact that you can travel freely where ever you want with relative security it occurs to me that they are doing a good job. No system in perfect but in democracy we've done not too bad.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
apology for last nights crass statement

first the checkpoints are in place to deter criminal activity, whether its by a criminal alien or some other entity.

they are manned by humans and that is what causes variances in demeanor or questions
most agents are doing their job, we have good one and bad ones

as part of our society we must accept certain inconveniences so we may travel safely and our homeland is protected.

we go through the checkpoints often and have never been detained or harassed

usually one of the two questions are asked
are you a citizen or how many are in your rv? easy non evasive questions.
I can assure you the rv or vehicle your in has already been scanned for radiological and other items as you rolled up to the checkpoints.
If the guy said the dog alerted he was probably trying not to alarm you, but to garner more intel

if you are asked to stop so they can bring a dog through to check for drugs....you should be polite but not let your rights be stepped on.
there are allot more folks that are arrested because they are innocent than those that are truly guilty

most agents will, once you say you have a dog onboard will allow you to remove your pet and one of you stay near to watch the agent doing the inspection.

and in my time as a government person. if the factors that would trip an inspection are not satisfied then it would fall on a number so every tenth or or vehicle would get a look over

if your not doing anything wrong...then you have no cause to be worried.
but this does not mean to have your rights stepped on either
politeness goes a long way. but over politeness triggers deeper looks

we are very lucky here that we don't have roadside bombs going off and other calamities as in other parts of the world. and if it means stopping at a checkpoint for a few seconds or even an hr, so be it

on the flip side
rvs make great means to transport large amounts of illegal items....make a trip once every 6 months and no one would suspect. I know they have thought about this and it makes me feel good.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
For you Navy guys, hang onto your white hat. For the other service members, hang onto whatever you hang onto because it is going to get a lot, lot worse
Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609
Have to remember these folks at the border, your sons and daughters, husbands and wives, are committed to keeping the country safe. Given what the world has become and the fact that you can travel freely where ever you want with relative security it occurs to me that they are doing a good job. No system in perfect but in democracy we've done not too bad.
If only the people that set the rules had the same commitment.
I swore off crossing the border either north or south. And I had lived in a border (north) town. One day the fact that people have been crossing for 20 years to see family, play Bingo, or buy gas (yea that one is questionable) was no longer any good. Passport, questions, car check... "but I just want to see my cousin that lives down the street from your house, Frank. I mean sir." Because it is not proper to profile.

But, what ever the proper term is for someone that stole someone eldest identity, was working at the airport on the eastern seaboard for, what 20, years.
....sigh...
Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #27

True story:
A few days ago I was going back through an entrance gate at Yosemite, and had to stop to turn in a pass. There was a very young man in a park ranger outfit, and it seems he was feeling the power conferred by his uniform. He told me in a very sanctimonious tone that he had observed me driving over the center line of the road as I approached the gate, and said that it was important for me to stay in the proper lane for safety on the narrow park roads.
I am 68 years old and look every bit of it, so clearly I wasn't a beginner. I replied nonchantly that the two women in the car with me (DW and her sister) had been complaining for the last hour that I was driving too close to the steep drop-offs at the edge of the road, and that I should "hug" the center line. I told the kid that I was glad that I now had someone to to protect me from the two back seat drivers in the car with me. He looked a bit bewildered, and motioned me through the gate.
We all had a good laugh after we were out of hearing range of the gate.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #28

Bdpreece, If you really feel you were harassed you should express your concerns to the Border Patrol Office in charge of that Check Point. That would probably be the Chief Patrol Agent, Scott A. Luck, 8901 Montana Avenue, El Paso, Texas 79925-1212 or telephone: 915-834-8350. I retired from the border patrol many years ago and at that time they did take complaints of harassment very seriously.
Safe Travels
Bob

Closed Thread