Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #85

Jayco Owners Club
El Paso, Laredo, and Eagle Pass have been on my former territories with my position. I went through so many of these that many of the agents got to know me and would just wave me through. When there was a new one, I was always cooperative, and polite. After all... that's a crappy job, but very important. They don't need a bunch of crap from me.

I have witnessed many instances in which a motorist would become indignant and abusive... Dealing with John Q. Public - blaaaahhhh! Not for me... Usually the agent would just take the abuse with a smile. Sometimes, when the abusive language got bad enough, I have seen folks arrested and I assume charged with assault... and rightly so... By the way... I don't think they should have to take that kind of crap from anyone... Offer them a cold drink or something... but no crap... You know... that whole flies, honey and... you know the rest.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #86

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have had only two times I have been pulled over for odd (to me) reasons. I live in New Hampshire and I drive into Massachusetts to visit my parents. Get pulled over because I have (gasp) New Hampshire plates on my car and not Mass plates.[moderator edit]?? Or the time I was driving home from a auction at night and I got pulled over because the car in front of me turned onto another road. Officer wanted to know where the other car was going. How would I know? Then he changed his story to "he had a report of some people in a car like mine harassing some cows". Really? I am 50 plus years old-never harassed a cow in my life and some one else is driving a 45 year old red Valiant convertible here in New England?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnr View Post
I have had more hassles from cops, than I ever had from potheads.
While it is true I've never had a pothead hassle me for other than spare change, I suspect there is a lot of indirect hassle due to their habit. Pot used to be $10 a 'lid' back in the 60s, and what is it now ? $100 ?

So, besides the social cost (read possible theft, as not all potheads work for GM) I believe you are mistaken to believe drug users are not affecting you. Mexican drug lord issues revolve around the flow of money.

Yet legalization in order to stop that money flow is a controversial solution. It has it's pros and cons, the latter which we haven't experienced yet, and rarely hear of. Let me quote a piece from here, as you compared prohibition to the drug war: Prohibition and the legalization of drugs

"the Marin Institute says 25 to 40 percent of all patients in America's general hospital beds (not in maternity or intensive care) are being treated for complications of alcohol-related problems. This is to say nothing of the astronomical social costs of $184.6 billion annually for alcohol abuse that the nation endures. Moreover, MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) reports an alcohol-related traffic accident kills one person every half hour in this country. One can hardly imagine compounding these problems with the legalization of drugs and the exceedingly negative environment it would create."

"If the war against drugs is lost, then so are the wars against theft, speeding, incest, fraud, rape, murder, arson, and illegal parking. Few, if any, such wars are winnable .... "
Old 05-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #88
Pnr

Yeah Rusty, it's the truth I been around the block too. Clean cut farm boy never messed with dope , no drinking and drivin none that stuff. Hassled by the cops yep. hassled by potheads no.

Latest hassle pickup radiator hose started leakin. Called one of my sons to bring me and dw a hose. While waiting we were hassled and cussed by a cop. The reason ? I'm glad you asked.

He wanted to call his buddy who had a mechanic shop to come fix it. Told him no thanks my son is about here. The cop cut loose called me and dw sobs !! That didn't appreciate a lil help we were just sorry blantky blanks !!

Rusty the cops are outta control.

Oh buy the way, they knew the job description and the dangers before they signed up.

And I do support cops I wrote out a nice check to our current sheriff for re-election. His dept is tuff but not jack booted . He abides by the constitution.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #89

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Y'know, I really can't figure this out. I'm 64 years old and have been around the block more than a few times, but in all those years I don't know that I've ever been "hassled by a cop". Maybe I'm just not going to the right places or doing the right things to get "hassled", ya think???

My point is that I see this generational shift (or whatever it is) to view our LEOs and others in authority as somehow being our enemies when they're out there putting their lives on the line every day and night, and frankly I find this change in society's attitude extremely troubling.

Rusty
I drive a LOT, and I've been hassled a few times. Nothing drastic, but never was I doing anything to endanger myself or others. The most dangerous thing I've ever done on a highway was sit there, 18 wheelers whizzing by 18 inches from my door, waiting for the LEO to do his paperwork. I appreciate and respect LE, but I don't think 'public safety' is their job any more.

LEO's are perceived as the enemy because LEO's often behave like the enemy. They hide in the bushes with their radar guns, waiting to pounce on otherwise safe drivers. They approach you menacingly, with their hands on their guns. They pull you over for failing to signal a lane change, then proceed to shake you down looking for some other reason to hassle you further, sniffing, asking leading questions, shining their mag-light in your face. They behave like the enemy, because they have to assume YOU are their enemy until you convince them you are not.

I've said it before: There are two threats to me on the highway, one is a physical threat, the other a financial threat. The financial threat comes with getting a ticket, and paying fines, increased insurance, etc. The physical threat is being involved in a wreck. I will do whatever I deem necessary to avoid the physical threat, even if it involves increased risk of suffering the financial consequences.

An example: Conditions permitting, I am MUCH safer driving in my car at 85 MPH, (if that is the speed everyone else is travelling), than driving 65 and having people wizzing by me like I'm standing still.

This is doubly true these days when those people wizzing by are also texting, talking, primping their hair, eating their lunch, etc. My dad and mom were rear ended by a teenager on the freeway. Dad always drove the posted limit or less, no matter what. Teenager was putting on makeup and going 20 over the limit. Everyone was OK, save for a few bruises and some vehicle damage.

IMO, the fewer encounters you have with other vehicles, the fewer chances you have of an altercation. Simple statistics. I find an open space between groups, and drive whatever speed I need to drive to stay there, keeping the largest distance I can behind and in front of the others. The goal is to never pass, or be passed.

Sometimes this means driving my car 80 in a 65. And it always makes ME the target for the LEO hiding in the bushes, even though I'm probably the safest driver out there.

So it boils down to two enemies: The LEOs, and the other drivers. I am MUCH more afraid of the other drivers than I am of the LEOs, and so I do what I need to to avoid as many of them as I can. If this means getting a ticket, so be it.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #90
Pnr

Oh yeah, it ain't none of their business where I been or where I'm goin.

We are in America, I don't need permission or travel papers, to drive down the road !!!!

Paul
Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #91

I'm not sure the word "harassment" applies in this case. You can be upset or PO'd but I don't think harassment is the correct word. A quick search Google search of police harassment comes up with:

Police harassment Unfair treatment conducted by law officials, including but not limited to excessive force, profiling, threats, coercion, and racial, ethnic, religious, gender/sexual, age, or other forms of discrimination.

You were stopped, singled out for additional search by law enforcement because a canine hit on your vehicle. Sounds More like bad luck to me than harassment. Just my opinion.
Bob
Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #92
Pnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog
I'm not sure the word "harassment" applies in this case. You can be upset or PO'd but I don't think harassment is the correct word. A quick search Google search of police harassment comes up with:

Police harassment Unfair treatment conducted by law officials, including but not limited to excessive force, profiling, threats, coercion, and racial, ethnic, religious, gender/sexual, age,
The word coercion certainly covers the problem quite well.

Paul
Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #93

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The illegals are a created problem , are used to take away freedoms. How you ask? The illegals could be stopped competely in a few days by our federal govt, if they wanted to stop it!
The so called war on drugs is also being used to take away freedoms as well.

And let's not forget the tsa groping grandma at the airports. Grandma wasn't in the group on 911 that harmed us neither were baptists from Texas in cowboy hats. Profiling could be useful to identify our enemy .

All these things are being used as tools ,to pass more laws and take more freedoms away each day. People are already putting up with the violations on our freedoms and will defend the violations as something we HAVE to accept.

Why not fix these problems instead of violating our freedoms ???

Oh yeah I'm also tired of hearing " they are just doin their job" ! Maybe they need a new job. Just following orders?? That's what the nazi SS tried to use as a defense of their jobs. That didn't turn out so good did it ?

Paul
Thank you very much!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #94

Paranoia [ˌpærəˈnɔɪ.ə] (adjective: paranoid [ˈpærə.nɔɪd]) is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat towards oneself. (e.g. "Everyone is out to get me.") Making false accusations and the general distrust of others also frequently accompany paranoia. For example, an incident most people would view as an accident, a paranoid person might make an accusation that it was intentional.

par·a·noi·a

   /ˌpærəˈnɔɪə/ Show Spelled[par-uh-noi-uh] Show IPA
noun 1. Psychiatry . a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.

2. baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others. .

Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #95
Pnr

Sheeple
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sheeple (a portmanteau of "sheep" and "people") is a term of disparagement in which people are likened to sheep, a herd animal. The term is used to describe those who voluntarily acquiesce to a suggestion without critical analysis or research. By doing so, they undermine their own individuality and may willingly give up their rights.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #96

Gulf Streamers Club
Baa Sure illegal immigrants are an issue. Look what happened when Georgia and Alabama cracked down. No one was around to pick the crops. Analysis and research shows that the history of our country is based on immigrants. They have historically come here for opportunity and take the jobs no one else wants. Build railroads, maids, manual labor, etc. Those jobs provided their children a chance to get an education and then take better jobs. It's only been since WWII that we have restricted immigration to such an extent that entering illegally is some people's only option.

No dictionaries were used in the posting of this opinion.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #97

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Sheeple
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sheeple (a portmanteau of "sheep" and "people") is a term of disparagement in which people are likened to sheep, a herd animal. The term is used to describe those who voluntarily acquiesce to a suggestion without critical analysis or research. By doing so, they undermine their own individuality and may willingly give up their rights.
Yep.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181
Baa Sure illegal immigrants are an issue. Look what happened when Georgia and Alabama cracked down. No one was around to pick the crops. Analysis and research shows that the history of our country is based on immigrants. They have historically come here for opportunity and take the jobs no one else wants. Build railroads, maids, manual labor, etc. Those jobs provided their children a chance to get an education and then take better jobs. It's only been since WWII that we have restricted immigration to such an extent that entering illegally is some people's only option.

No dictionaries were used in the posting of this opinion.
GA actually had to amend that law after huge protests from farmers because no one applied for the $8.00 per hour ads.The law now makes exception for agriculture workers. Right now we have almost zero people trying to enter this country from Mexico.