Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
The Border Patrol isn't the only ones with check points. I have been stopped by fish and game in CO to see if I was carrying illegal game meat/antlers because my P/U had a bed topper.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #100

Last yr on vacation in south padre port Isabel. We rolled through a ck station . In my truck was me, wife , older daughter and 9 yr old grand daughter ( she is 1/2 Hispanic ) , the ask a couple of questions and waived is on .

Behind me was my son , his wife ( Hispanic , her son 16 yr ) and 1 yr old in car seat , they were in a Honda pilot . They roll up and get ask same and have to exit the car. , take the baby out of car seat , look the car over and tell them thanks ,

The funny thing in the bed of my truck was all the luggage and we wrap all the pieces in black garbage bags , had some rain coming in , heading back to Dallas ,

Go figure ???

Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
originally posted by pnr
the illegals are a created problem , are used to take away freedoms. How you ask? The illegals could be stopped competely in a few days by our federal govt, if they wanted to stop it!
The so called war on drugs is also being used to take away freedoms as well.

And let's not forget the tsa groping grandma at the airports. Grandma wasn't in the group on 911 that harmed us neither were baptists from texas in cowboy hats. Profiling could be useful to identify our enemy .

All these things are being used as tools ,to pass more laws and take more freedoms away each day. People are already putting up with the violations on our freedoms and will defend the violations as something we have to accept.

Why not fix these problems instead of violating our freedoms ???

Oh yeah i'm also tired of hearing " they are just doin their job" ! Maybe they need a new job. Just following orders?? That's what the nazi ss tried to use as a defense of their jobs. That didn't turn out so good did it ?

Paul
Exactly !

I think something else needs to be looked at here as well...
Follow the Money! Who gains to lose if these problems went away?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually, when I was a teenager and in college (in the 70's) I got hassled by the cops fairly regularly. Several times driving to and from college, once at a checkpoint in Arizona, (they were supposedly looking for an escaped con), a few times on my motorcycle, once when I was taking a date home at 3:00am (are you alright, ma'am?).
Nowadays I never get stopped, I'm 58 and boring, drive a sedan, obey all the laws, don't drink & drive.
The cops know who their target audience is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #103

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lived in El Paso 22 years...

I must have gone thru the check point hundreds of times! Never once was pulled over and inspected. OP, must have just been your time. I'm glad Border patrol is doing their job. I can't tell you how many hundreds of thousands of illegals get thru a year near El Paso. Way too easy!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
"I'm glad Border patrol is doing their job. I can't tell you how many hundreds of thousands of illegals get thru a year near El Paso. Way too easy! "

Hundreds of thousands of illegals getting thru is not doing their job. Stopping those hundreds of thousands would be.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #105

Solo Rvers Club
They probably have to prove that they are not profiling. I'm in complete agreement with profiling, but it's not politically correct. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #106

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiems View Post
GA actually had to amend that law after huge protests from farmers because no one applied for the $8.00 per hour ads.The law now makes exception for agriculture workers. Right now we have almost zero people trying to enter this country from Mexico.
It always did.. the farmers apply for a 90 day work visa for them.. those are 'legal'
Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #107

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
The Border Patrol isn't the only ones with check points. I have been stopped by fish and game in CO to see if I was carrying illegal game meat/antlers because my P/U had a bed topper.
Where you hunting and have a hunting licence? If so, you agreed to the search when you bought the licence. People simply traveling did not..
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #108

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Actually, when I was a teenager and in college (in the 70's) I got hassled by the cops fairly regularly. Several times driving to and from college, once at a checkpoint in Arizona, (they were supposedly looking for an escaped con), a few times on my motorcycle, once when I was taking a date home at 3:00am (are you alright, ma'am?).
Nowadays I never get stopped, I'm 58 and boring, drive a sedan, obey all the laws, don't drink & drive.
The cops know who their target audience is.
Exactly..
Old 05-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Where you hunting and have a hunting licence? If so, you agreed to the search when you bought the licence. People simply traveling did not..
That is not quite correct. Driving is a privilege, obtained with a license. But, I suspect most of us forget that, as we are good drivers and for the most part law abiding citizens.

Make sure you know the facts about unreasonable search and seizures before punching that tar baby.

This issue has been before the Supreme Court, and the Chief Justice left it to the states to determine what minimal safeguards must be in place in order to avoid becoming overly intrusive, presumably to be reviewed by the courts on a case-by-case basis.

The 'plain view doctrine' says it is ok to peer into my vehicle looking at items in plain view. With 'probably cause' (which can be as simple as a drug sniffing dog from outside the vehicle), a reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime, police may search any part of the vehicle. With reasonable suspicion (suspicion based on specific and articulate facts, taken together with rational inferences from those facts) that a person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity, the person can be detained for a short period of time (a Terry stop).

Heck, the state of CA has been doing it for decades to control non-human pests, and it hasn't been used as a precedent to become a police state.

On the other hand, if they had instituted the very search so many are torturing ourselves over on this thread, their state budget might not be so hosed right now.

In any event, the longer you hold onto those things which harm us, assuming you aren't about to make a federal case, the more they have to potential to harm you.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #110

National RV Owners Club
Profiling has been done for many years it's just a little more difficult for them to pull it off today.
In the early 70's I was enrolled at a local city college taking Law Enforcement classes with the hopes of becoming a Highway Patrolman. I attended classes with many of the local State, County & City officers. I had long hair and a real nice beard at the time. I also drove a 66 baby blue Caddy Convertable in mint condition. One day I was at a liquor store and as I got in the car, backed up a few feet to go up a parking lot a Police car pulled in behind me and hit the lights. I had the top down and waited for him to come up, as he did I asked , did I do something wrong? No answer except, Drivers license and registration please. I handed both over to him and again asked why was I pulled over? Still no answer. I got out of the car and asked him a third time, what was the reason he pulled me over. As he started to talk, I said you pulled me over because I don't fit the type of person who would be driving this kind of car, huh? I looked back at the Police car and saw the other officer who I knew and he was laughing his butt off. He finally tells the Rookie go ahead and tell Joe why you pulled him over, he knows why you did, he takes classes with us at the College.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #111

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Really? Do you own a hunting or fishing license?

Where do you get this idea that I agreed to be searched anytime, without probable cause, just because I get a fishing license every year? I've read the regulations and saw nothing of the kind. Nor does it say anything on my license.... The US Constitution has guarantees against improper search and seizure. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point? The poster said he believed he got stopped because he had a 'bed topper' on his truck.... Probable cause? This is a slippery one, that's for sure.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #112

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you don't know what a maroon is, maybe you are one..hee hee

Closed Thread