Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #71

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
...For some reason everyone assumes I am Hispanic just because I look like it. I have thought of driving through Maricopa County in my Grand Am Toad wearing a black cowboy hat just to see if I would get a profiled pullover by Sherriff Joe's deputies.
Wrong color hat. It should be a white straw cowboy hat if you want to fit the stereotype.

Don't worry, our dear Sheriff won't be our dear Sheriff much longer at the rate things are going. If the Feds don't get him, I strongly suspects the voters will.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #72

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterdad View Post
#1. If they were this diligent 30 years ago ,our country would be much better off.
#2. If you had nothing to hide, then you had nothing to worry about.
#3. For those of you who don't live in the Southwest, smugglers from border towns such as El Paso will in some cases hide drugs under vehicles of unsuspecting people and have a Chase vehicle follow them to there next stop and retrieve the dope!
#4. I for one am glad to see there presence, they are there for our benefit.....Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
It really, really frightens me that people in this country think #2 above is OK.
I agree.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TXiceman, I understand your problem and would stand right beside you to stop it. I don't envy you folks one bit for having to deal with this, but I won't tolerate an overzealous stop and search. just as stated above,
Quote:
He also discussed what happens to those high and mighty 'attitudes'. Get my drift? They have the power to use/abuse almost what ever they want to do.
But some of this stuff goes a little bit over the top.
I was stopped at Thanksgiving by a local State Trooper, what was he looking for a possible DUI, why me ? he saw me take a sip from my recently purchased coffee, his reason to stop me,,,didn't use my turn signal to change lanes. Was I speeding and driving erratic,,,nope. I have to admit the trooper was polite and so was I, but don't waste my time because you thought you saw something and then go fishing for something else,, Trooper, do you have anything in here I should know about all the while the flashlight was searching my truck, Me, Nope Didn't ask what was in the cup either. I had given him my DL and Registration, Trooper Anything I should know about these before I check'em,,, me, nope! Flashlight still searching and he was a sniffing, no booze in here and nothing to smell.....
Trooper, Do you know why I stopped you? me, Nope. Trooper you didn't use you turn signal to signal your lane change back there. Me..Oh thats unusual for me because I always do that, must have been because I saw no cars around me to signal, Trooper didn't know what to say to that..
Trooper ....well you have a good holiday and drive safely,,, Me Well sir you do the same goodnight.
Don't waste my time for a feel good program,,,stop the people that need stopping.
For what you folks are dealing with this is small small potatoes but we are slipping down that slippery slope.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We live in Texas and see the Border Patrol all the time and especially coming out of Southwest Texas. Glad they are there. We have such a problem with illegal aliens and drugs. I'm glad they are out there checking. Your comment about them being Hispanic is way out of line. They were here 200 years before the American Revolution. This is their home and many of their families have been here for hundreds of years. The hispanic's who are citizens are not the problem and the Border Patrol is going their job. Get over it. Who would yell the loudest if a terrorist would get in an blow up another building?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #75
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The problem is deeper. Look up the words 'Sanctuary Cities."

How does the law not abide by the law?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
TXiceman, I understand your problem and would stand right beside you to stop it. I don't envy you folks one bit for having to deal with this, but I won't tolerate an overzealous stop and search. just as stated above,
But some of this stuff goes a little bit over the top.
I was stopped at Thanksgiving by a local State Trooper, what was he looking for a possible DUI, why me ? he saw me take a sip from my recently purchased coffee, his reason to stop me,,,didn't use my turn signal to change lanes. Was I speeding and driving erratic,,,nope. I have to admit the trooper was polite and so was I, but don't waste my time because you thought you saw something and then go fishing for something else,, Trooper, do you have anything in here I should know about all the while the flashlight was searching my truck, Me, Nope Didn't ask what was in the cup either. I had given him my DL and Registration, Trooper Anything I should know about these before I check'em,,, me, nope! Flashlight still searching and he was a sniffing, no booze in here and nothing to smell.....
Trooper, Do you know why I stopped you? me, Nope. Trooper you didn't use you turn signal to signal your lane change back there. Me..Oh thats unusual for me because I always do that, must have been because I saw no cars around me to signal, Trooper didn't know what to say to that..
Trooper ....well you have a good holiday and drive safely,,, Me Well sir you do the same goodnight.
Don't waste my time for a feel good program,,,stop the people that need stopping.
For what you folks are dealing with this is small small potatoes but we are slipping down that slippery slope.
The Trooper sounds like he did a fantastic job of stopping you, being polite and courteous and all the while doing his job to the best of his ability. As you've already conceded, you broke the law by not using your turn signal. That's fair game to get pulled over. He didn't even write you a ticket, which he could have done since you broke the law. So not only was he courteous and professional but he used his discretion.

I have pulled over and arrested countless people who were drunk and the only reason I had to pull them over initially was for a "minor" infraction like a tail light out or brake light out. Once I got to the driver's window and started interacting with the driver just like the Trooper did with you, then I started gathering evidence that they were under the influence.

As for his "searching" your car with his flashlight. Couple of things: He doesn't know who you are. He's looking to see if he can see any weapons within your reach that you might go for. He's also looking for anything illegal. He's in a place he can legally be (on the side of the road), looking in through a window that anyone can legally look through, using a flashlight to see because it's night time. Anyone can do that too. As a result whatever he sees is done in plain view and is not a "search" subject to 4th amendment protection (lots of case law supporting that for decades).

I've seen countless illegal items in people's vehicles in plain view (drugs, illegal weapons, stolen items) and ended up making some fantastic arrests because of it.

The Trooper to be upset about is the one who pulls the car over being driven by an escaped convict, drunk off his butt, carrying a load of dope, and all the Trooper does is write him a ticket for not using his turn signal so he can make a "stat" for his Sergeant, but doesn't bother digging a little deeper to get the criminal off the street.

So are you slightly inconvenienced by the whole thing? Sure, but you did break the law. It's the only way officers of the law can do their job effectively. People don't just walk up to us and tell us they just committed a crime and turn around put their hands behind their back waiting to be handcuffed.

Personally I would write that Trooper's supervisor a letter commending him for his investigative skill and tell him to keep up the good work.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #77

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I read a lot of reports from people who have been drug off tains in the US by TSA and searched and questioned.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #78

It seems to me that the regular Border Agents are very polite and professional but Homeland Security guys seem to have less experience and they come off as being a little "full of themselves".
Old 05-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #79
Pnr

The illegals are a created problem , are used to take away freedoms. How you ask? The illegals could be stopped competely in a few days by our federal govt, if they wanted to stop it!
The so called war on drugs is also being used to take away freedoms as well.

And let's not forget the tsa groping grandma at the airports. Grandma wasn't in the group on 911 that harmed us neither were baptists from Texas in cowboy hats. Profiling could be useful to identify our enemy .

All these things are being used as tools ,to pass more laws and take more freedoms away each day. People are already putting up with the violations on our freedoms and will defend the violations as something we HAVE to accept.

Why not fix these problems instead of violating our freedoms ???

Oh yeah I'm also tired of hearing " they are just doin their job" ! Maybe they need a new job. Just following orders?? That's what the nazi SS tried to use as a defense of their jobs. That didn't turn out so good did it ?

Paul
Old 05-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #81

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnr View Post
The illegals are a created problem , are used to take away freedoms. How you ask? The illegals could be stopped competely in a few days by our federal govt, if they wanted to stop it!
The so called war on drugs is also being used to take away freedoms as well.

<snip>

Why not fix these problems instead of violating our freedoms ???

<snip>
------------------> <-------------------

Border patrol agents are necessary largely because of violence associated with the drug trade. The drug trade violence is a direct result of draconian drug prohibition laws in our country.

Prohibition laws have NEVER worked, because where there is DEMAND, a supplier will ALWAYS rise to fill that demand, legal or not. Prohibiting something for which there is strong demand will ALWAYS give rise to black markets, cartels, gangsters, etc.

Over history, 100% of the time, the black market created by prohibition has been far more destructive to our society than the prohibited item ever would have been. Our prohibition laws have caused far more death and destruction here, and in Mexico, than the potheads ever would have.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #82

I've always felt like our Highway Patrol folks are somewhat like the sixth service. They certainly are fighting a war. They deserve your patients and understanding.

If you don't like their actions, the politicians are the ones making the rules. Talk to them. Not the guy/gal brave enough to walk up on a vehicle not knowing if he is going to be sideswiped as he mentions your taillight is out, or blown away by some mule.

Remember the ugly treatment many received coming back from Vietnam.... don't be guilty of making these folks suffer the same way, or we truly will hasten the lost of this war they are fighting for us. Remember, you have a stake in this too.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #83
Pnr

Quote:
prohibition laws have caused far more death and destruction here, and in Mexico, than the potheads ever would have.
I have had more hassles from cops, than I ever had from potheads.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #84

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnr View Post
I have had more hassles from cops, than I ever had from potheads.
Y'know, I really can't figure this out. I'm 64 years old and have been around the block more than a few times, but in all those years I don't know that I've ever been "hassled by a cop". Maybe I'm just not going to the right places or doing the right things to get "hassled", ya think???

My point is that I see this generational shift (or whatever it is) to view our LEOs and others in authority as somehow being our enemies when they're out there putting their lives on the line every day and night, and frankly I find this change in society's attitude extremely troubling.

Rusty
Closed Thread