Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Redneck - you lost me. Where did that come from as I sure don't remember seeing it at the movie. Or is my leg being pulled?
Perhaps you missed the abundant and very blatant Iraqi war/Oil theme running in the plot. They didn't even try to make it subtle, throwing in "Shock & Awe" amongst other Iraq war themes.

Frankly, Cameron did better with Titanic....
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I know one thing that they are going say about this movie for a long time from now and that's simply ....

One Billion Dollars!

Now "THAT'S" a movie!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Perhaps you missed the abundant and very blatant Iraqi war/Oil theme running in the plot. They didn't even try to make it subtle, throwing in "Shock & Awe" amongst other Iraq war themes.

Frankly, Cameron did better with Titanic....
Sorry Redneck, I didn't get that at all. I find it very interesting that the same story had such a radically different impact.

I am an unregistered Cherokee. This story reminds me of them. They are a people of the 'earth' and were driven from their land- by the Army-- in a terrible manner.

They, of course, were not the only ones. You can look throughout history and see this. The Nazi's and the Holocaust. I can go on and on (sadly).

My point of reference is the Cherokee, therefore I identified with the Na'vi. and on this screen they beat back those who were attempting to take their land for profit.

You would hope, so far in the future, that we would learn from our mistakes but we haven't yet, so who knows.

Not, for a single second, did I think about Bush or the current conflicts. I was thinking several hundred years ago.

Sheila :)
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't realize it was so much "work" to watch a movie. I didn't have any desire to see Titanic but heard about the special effects in Avatar and wanted to see it, guess I missed a lot by just enjoying the movie. When I go to a movie I don't want to put my "thinking cap" on, I just want to be entertained.
Ron
Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2 View Post
I didn't realize it was so much "work" to watch a movie. I didn't have any desire to see Titanic but heard about the special effects in Avatar and wanted to see it, guess I missed a lot by just enjoying the movie. When I go to a movie I don't want to put my "thinking cap" on, I just want to be entertained.
Ron
Nope, wasn't 'work' at all. First and foremost, I go to a movie to escape, laugh, cry and have fun. I enjoyed this one just that much more as I identified with the stories I heard as a kid.

Sheila :)
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just heard on the News accompanying 60 Minutes this evening that Avatar has passed Star Trek as the #3 all time box office smash!

Avatar maintains its #1 rating at the box office for the 5th week in a row.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #21

I thought it was Ironic that the mineral they were after was called ( unobtainium ). Fantastic movie.................
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
I thought it was Ironic that the mineral they were after was called ( unobtainium ). Fantastic movie.................
bahahah seriously. I wish the writer did a better job at naming unearthly minerals.
Kran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm totally blown away by this fact but the News recently announced that Avatar has grossed over $1.8B which makes it the highest grossing picture of all time. Cameron surpassed Cameron's "Titanic."

Wait for the merchandising and the DVDs and Blue Rays to hit the market. and Yes there is going to be a sequel it's already been announced.

Cameron couldn't do that with Titanic .... only one sinking per Titanic you know!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #24

My ten year old nephew took his "great Auntie" (me) on a movie date. Wasn't to sure what Avatar was going to be about....but we just loved it! It's always fun to see a movie through the eyes of a small child. They see so much that we miss! I was so amazed at the plot. I was also reminded of the plight of the Indians. After the movie we had a long discussion regarding the history of the American Indian and how it paralleled Avatar. I didn't realize that todays young people aren't taught very much about America's first people!
mobilemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone seen both the 3D version AND the IMAX version? If so, are there any significant differences in the physical sensations between the two, enough to warrant going to to IMAX after having seen the 3D version?
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Has anyone seen both the 3D version AND the IMAX version? If so, are there any significant differences in the physical sensations between the two, enough to warrant going to to IMAX after having seen the 3D version?
IMAX 3D will put you directly into the scene. We a have an IMAX in Charleston, SC. The one in Myrtle Beach is not showing the movie and I can't figure out why they are not shoing here cause I would definately go see it again in IMAX. I might go see it in Charlestown if it's still playing in March.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Saw it Tuesday in I MAX 3D all I can say is wow! We sat center stage in the 4th row. Started ducking some of the things coming at us. Phenomenal!
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #28

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Saw the 3D IMAX version in Orlando the week before last. A real treat. You felt like you were really in some of the scenes and felt myself leaning into the curves when the camera followed the characters jumping from branch to branch. Audio in the IMAX version is also outstanding. Some of the best special effects I have ever seen.