Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #29

I thought it was a good show. The work the CG folks did was impressive. It wasn't until the next day that I realized I had seen the movie twice before. Only, one time it was called Dances with Wolves and starred Kevin Costner, the other time it was called Pocahontis and starred Mel Gibson.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Huh??? It's a fictional movie!!

Dieselclacker

Old 02-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #31

Well I finally went with my DW. Took her kicking and complaining. While she did like it the movie was not a life changing experience for her. She likes chick flicks with stupid men and smart but emotionally conflicted women. I on the other hand loved it. You could see a white man vs. the indians message if you wanted to or you could see an anti big business vs. the environment message if you wanted to, I missed the anti bush messages but will look for them in my next visit but I guess I just like going along for a ride and when you expereince the movie in that vein you can enjoy it for what it is. I took an art appreciation course once in college and learned that the best examples of art permit different people to appreciate it or see different things in it at different levels. So maybe if so many people see something different in it then it must be good.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #32

Loved it!! No one gets this but I thought it was kind of like Dances with Wolves, Soldier goes off to live with the Natives, Learns their ways, embraces them. Same plot, but vastly different landscape. The 3D was amazing though! There was one scene where the camera swivels around a console and I had to look up to see it all!! Yeah, my wife laughed when I did that. Sure beats the 3D of the past. We had a good time!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 423X2 View Post
I thought it was a good show. The work the CG folks did was impressive. It wasn't until the next day that I realized I had seen the movie twice before. Only, one time it was called Dances with Wolves and starred Kevin Costner, the other time it was called Pocahontis and starred Mel Gibson.
Sorry didn't see your quote till after I quick posted mine!!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Dave View Post
Saw it with a group, in 3-D and at one point in the movie burning embers were falling in the audience. It was outstanding...
I was really amazed by that, half expected from the trajectory, that it was going to land just past the person in front me('s) head!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #35
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I tried my 3D glasses for a TV 3D and they didn't work. No loss though I'm sure there will be more 3D movies like Avatar and I'll already have a pair of glasses. Would have loved to have seen this in IMAX.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't like sci-fi but, this movie was incredible.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #37

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I am not a SciFi fan but I loved this movie. We saw it in 3D in an IMAX theater. I liked it because the plot and the characters were well developed and the fight scenes didn't consume half the movie. Of course there was a little romance for the ladies like myself who like that stuff. My DH says that was a ingenious move on the part of the producers. DH, who is an engineer, says that the term unobtonium has been used in engineering jokes for quite some time. He thought it was cool that they used it in the movie. I would go see it again but I think we might be disappointed to see it on a small screen after the IMAX version.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 423X2 View Post
i'm a writer. there are only about 10 total stories in all of mankind. every story ever written flows from one of them.

that said, i'm getting pretty tired of the diaphanously-veiled america-bashing that passes for entertainment these days. the left hates bush. i get it, i get it. it's just tiresome when they have complicit flimmakers willing to step up and aid "the cause" under the guise of "art"--and still make a billion dollars the old fashioned american way. hypocrisy at its extreme.

while i'm sure "avatar" is an entertaining ride, it's disturbing to me in an on-going way to see all of the budget diverted from script writing to things that blow-up. it reminds me of the old SCTV skits of the redneck movie reviewers who reviewed based upon things that "blowed-up real good!"

some of the most amazing films i've ever seen were either made during the era when there were no special-effects to speak of ("casablanca", for example or almost any howard hawks film) or were plot driven and the excitement came from the writing and directing of the film ("pulp fiction", for example).

today's filmmakers seem to not understand that good writing will endure forever--while special-effects only lasts as long as it takes to get to the next level of GCI things that "blow-up real good". casablanca lives forever for me--while i cannot even remember the last special effects blow-em-up extravaganza i saw.

but the public at large demands visual-based entertainment--and hollywood provides.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuys View Post
i'm a writer. there are only about 10 total stories in all of mankind. every story ever written flows from one of them.

that said, i'm getting pretty tired of the diaphanously-veiled america-bashing that passes for entertainment these days. the left hates bush. i get it, i get it. it's just tiresome when they have complicit flimmakers willing to step up and aid "the cause" under the guise of "art"--and still make a billion dollars the old fashioned american way. hypocrisy at its extreme.

while i'm sure "avatar" is an entertaining ride, it's disturbing to me in an on-going way to see all of the budget diverted from script writing to things that blow-up. it reminds me of the old SCTV skits of the redneck movie reviewers who reviewed based upon things that "blowed-up real good!"

some of the most amazing films i've ever seen were either made during the era when there were no special-effects to speak of ("casablanca", for example or almost any howard hawks film) or were plot driven and the excitement came from the writing and directing of the film ("pulp fiction", for example).

today's filmmakers seem to not understand that good writing will endure forever--while special-effects only lasts as long as it takes to get to the next level of GCI things that "blow-up real good". casablanca lives forever for me--while i cannot even remember the last special effects blow-em-up extravaganza i saw.

but the public at large demands visual-based entertainment--and hollywood provides.
Finally! Someone who didn't have their blinders on! Thank you!
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Puhleeze!!! Give people some credit for being able to discern what they like or don't like. I don't go to the movies to receive a "message", but rather to be entertained. I don't care who is doing the entertaining or what their beliefs are. If I feel so strongly opposed to what they have written/directed, etc., then I don't have to participate. But in the meantime, I don't need to be lectured about the good old days as I was there also. In this particular case, Avatar was a wonderful entertaining movie for me and I would go back and see it over and over again DESPITE the fact that the director's political feeling are diametrically opposed to mine.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Puhleeze!!! Give people some credit for being able to discern what they like or don't like. I don't go to the movies to receive a "message", but rather to be entertained. I don't care who is doing the entertaining or what their beliefs are. If I feel so strongly opposed to what they have written/directed, etc., then I don't have to participate. But in the meantime, I don't need to be lectured about the good old days as I was there also. In this particular case, Avatar was a wonderful entertaining movie for me and I would go back and see it over and over again DESPITE the fact that the director's political feeling are diametrically opposed to mine.

I, and from what the movie has grossed so far, lots and lots of other folks, completely agree with you Golden.
Like you, in my opinion, most movie goers go to the movie theatre to be entertained.

Dieselclacker
Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #42
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I went for the 3D and yes I would go to Charleston, SC to see it again in IMAX. I thought that the movie was brilliant however there were a couple of double takes but I glossed over those with the rational that's what Hollywood does.