Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
With all the flooding going on in Iowa and the mid-west, with people being forced from their homes with rising flood waters, have you noticed what is missing? I have yet to hear the national news mention FEMA - not to say they have not done so, but with Katrina it seemed that every news story was centered on FEMA and the job they were doing or not doing.
Is is just me or have you guys noticed the same thing?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
With all the flooding going on in Iowa and the mid-west, with people being forced from their homes with rising flood waters, have you noticed what is missing? I have yet to hear the national news mention FEMA - not to say they have not done so, but with Katrina it seemed that every news story was centered on FEMA and the job they were doing or not doing.
Is is just me or have you guys noticed the same thing?

Old 06-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doc:
Is is just me or have you guys noticed the same thing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check here.....http://www.fema.gov/media/2008/061308.shtm
Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #4

Just give them a little time------

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #5

Living just across the river from New Orleans, Yes I notice the reports from all the disasters around the country, forest fires, tornados, and floods. No, FEMA isn't the problem in most of these cases vs. New Orleans after Katrina. "BUT" you have self sufficient people who just want to rebuild and get back to living and making their living. Also the local/state officials aren't trying to place blame away from themselves as the locals here have.
No comparison whatsoever.
70 miles away in Mississippi where the damage was much more extensive, no griping about FEMA, just let me get this mess cleaned up and get on with life.
My heart goes out to the folks in the midwest floods. It takes a long time to recover from such a disaster not to mention the lost income/wages that they have incurred.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
paz

We're camping near Davenport Iowa now. We're several miles from the river and in no danger of floods ourselves, but the local news has story after story of neighbors helping neighbors and even perfect strangers volunteering to fill sand bags or do whatever they can to help.

There was a story on the news about a Davenport Public Works employee who put an American flag on top of one of the sand bag levees. The levee, which was built by DPW employees and volunteers working side by side, was standing strong and keeping the mighty Mississippi out of that particular area of the city. When asked why he put the flag on the levee, the DPW employee said he just wanted to remind Americans what we can do if we work together.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 AM   #7

Do something to try to help yourself, are you nuts. That's what the government is for according to the people you saw on TV after Katrina. They got bussed off to Houston, Atlanta, and other cities across the South and still aren't back home and won't come home till everything is fixed. Of course nothing has changed in their lifestyle, still living off the taxpayer with no intention of going to work.
Remember all the speculation on why all the school busses weren't used to evacuate people. Well, pre Katrina the 3rd World School System was in such dire financial shape that when the school year ended and the busses put in the storage lot, they had no gas in them.
As far as recovery, if it weren't for the Hispanic workers and volunteer church groups, very little would have been done. Plus side is quite a few new Mexican restaurants in our area.
Dave
Old 06-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #8

Also, do not see any looting and people shooting at rescue helicopters?

No signs begging for help--you see hard working people hit with a disaster and they are helping each other to recover from this disaster

Tom
Old 06-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #9

Oooooh, politically incorrect...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Wonder if FEMA is going to hand out those $2000 debit cards??

snopes.com - Katrina $2000 debit cards.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Dave, I think it's political correctness that's destroying our great country. After spending part of the early spring in New Orleans and it's suburbs "Bayou Signett SP" Gibson, and Morgan city. I got to speak to the locals and I can agree with these guys and what they are saying. It isn't hard to figure out who and what they are referring to. It's all true.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #12

Here, here Dave,
I couldn't have said it better than you. My sister stills leave in N.O., I moved to Fl from there several years ago. BTW I lived in Metry.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MCDDY:
Living just across the river from New Orleans, Yes I notice the reports from all the disasters around the country, forest fires, tornados, and floods. No, FEMA isn't the problem in most of these cases vs. New Orleans after Katrina. "BUT" you have self sufficient people who just want to rebuild and get back to living and making their living. Also the local/state officials aren't trying to place blame away from themselves as the locals here have.
No comparison whatsoever.
70 miles away in Mississippi where the damage was much more extensive, no griping about FEMA, just let me get this mess cleaned up and get on with life.
My heart goes out to the folks in the midwest floods. It takes a long time to recover from such a disaster not to mention the lost income/wages that they have incurred.
Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave having spent January volunteering in Waveland and Bay St Louis I must say that things are still dismal there. Good folks, bad situation, they still need help there. FEMA was no box of chocolates, they left a lot of people stranded.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #14

Hondo122
After Katrina we were treated more than fairly by FEMA and COE. They came in and put a blue roof on our house, I had already patched it up with felt paper but it was the best job I saw anywhere around. Hospital sheet tight. Our insurance Co. stepped up to the plate with no hesitation but we just had roof damage and floor damage from guck leaking our of the fridge and feezer as it thawed over 3wks without power, but no flooding.
The spirit of this thread wasn't to knock or praise FEMA but to highlight the difference between self sufficient people vs. wards of the government. FEMA is just yet another broken beauracracy that's over funded and totally inept. "WOW what a revelation". The folks in Mississippi have had a hard time, and FEMA hasn't stepped up to the plate, but the media didn't care about them because they weren't griping and crying about how unfairly they were treated. The media has to have "victims" who can't help themselves because they don't know how yet refuse to learn how. They had them in New Orleans as we all saw on TV. Now if I've offended someone by political incorrectness, so be it, I'm offended just about every day by the media and their Victims.
Dave