Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #29

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageksl View Post
The biggest problem is when the definition of "Reasonable", "Excessive" and "Nuisance" are being made. What is reasonable, excessive and/or nuisance to one is not to another and vise versa.

Your premise that "...people's rights stop when they infringe on the rights of others." is not sustainable. If someone is flying a flag, which is their right, which rights are they infringing upon? It seems to me the HOAs are the ones infringing on someone's right to fly a flag.

JMHO.
Sigh! Go back and CAREFULLY reread my posts, this time with an open mind.

As far as people's rights stopping when they infringe on the rights of others not being sustainable goes, why do you think there are loud music laws and curfews, barking dog ordinances, loud pipes ordinances, etc? Just try and violate one them because you feel you have the right to play your music as loud as you want, have a barking dog, run loud pipes on your vehicle, etc. in most urban (and many rural) areas and see how far you get. Heck, you can't even do everything you may want to do with a piece of property in most communities because it may infringe on the rights of your neighbors (many, if not most, HOAs are an example of a good idea carried too far; btw, even Federal law allows reasonable restrictions).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
PS or BS. I can't see any HOA petty enough to disallow flying the flag of our country letting anyone paint a house like that. I would seriously doubt anyone be even allowed to finish such a project once started.
As amazing as it may seem, it does happen. It was in the news a while back, and several HOAs have tried to ban. Here are a few examples.
Army Veteran Fights HOA for Right to Fly the Flag | AOL Real Estate
snopes.com: Van T. Barfoot Barred from Flying the Flag
Idaho Couple Battles HOA for Right to Fly American Flag | TheBlaze.com

Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #31

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix cube View Post
As amazing as it may seem, it does happen. It was in the news a while back, and several HOAs have tried to ban. Here are a few examples.
Army Veteran Fights HOA for Right to Fly the Flag | AOL Real Estate
snopes.com: Van T. Barfoot Barred from Flying the Flag
Idaho Couple Battles HOA for Right to Fly American Flag | TheBlaze.com
Goog grief! Another one. Please go back and CAREFULLY reread my posts in this thread. At no time did I ever say that I didn't believe that HOAs were banning flags. In the post you partially quoted, I said I doubted that an HOA so petty it banned flying the flag would allow a house to be painted like that. I was proven wrong in a later post.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #32

Lady Fritz..... I did misread your post. It wasn't intentional though, the first line had a funny place to stop (only on #3 comment - not on my previous post).... But, I don't believe I partially quoted your post. Certainly not in any way that would mislead a reader.

Did I really offend you ? If so I'm sorry. It definitely was unintentional.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #33
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
As I said in post #8, there is a law enacted by congress, that states:

"A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent an association member from displaying the U.S. flag on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use. States that nothing in this Act shall be considered to permit any display or use that is inconsistent with: (1) federal law or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or use of the flag; or (2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place, or manner of displaying the flag necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium, cooperative, or residential real estate management association."

This law has been in effect since July, 2006. There is no need for bluster of various service organizations, it is a Federal law. Of course it only pertains to HOA and the like, not city government or zoning boards, I believe. On those you could turn loose all the wrath of whom ever you wished to prostest!

It is so unfortunate that many of our Federal Laws are not enforced.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #34

Carolina Campers
Talking The American Flag

I fly one on my old 1977 rig... got the pole from a nice lady at one of the parks we've been at... had the mounts already on the side of the RV... I'm a Vet, I'll never be homeless, because America is my home. Now wheather or not I've a house, that's another matter... long live this RV!!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #35

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix cube View Post
Lady Fritz..... I did misread your post. It wasn't intentional though, the first line had a funny place to stop (only on #3 comment - not on my previous post).... But, I don't believe I partially quoted your post. Certainly not in any way that would mislead a reader.

Did I really offend you ? If so I'm sorry. It definitely was unintentional.
Not really offended; just tired of people making wrong assumptions about or misreading what I posted. Thanks and I'm sorry I snapped at you.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #36

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It is so unfortunate that many of our Federal Laws are not enforced.
Man, you just said a mouthful!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
It seems that those that have never served in the military, usually have less
respect for the flag than those that have served.

This is not aimed directly at any particular posters here, but is a general
observation over the last 40 years.

That's my opinion and if you disagree, I don't really care...

I LIKE YOUR OPINIONS KEEP 'EM COMING !!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
I really don't care if you are offended or not. When you start telling me what I can or cannot do on my property we have a problem. If I want to fly a flag the size of the Queen Mary and it's not hanging over your property line, too bad.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Sigh! Go back and CAREFULLY reread my posts, this time with an open mind.

As far as people's rights stopping when they infringe on the rights of others not being sustainable goes, why do you think there are loud music laws and curfews, barking dog ordinances, loud pipes ordinances, etc? Just try and violate one them because you feel you have the right to play your music as loud as you want, have a barking dog, run loud pipes on your vehicle, etc. in most urban (and many rural) areas and see how far you get. Heck, you can't even do everything you may want to do with a piece of property in most communities because it may infringe on the rights of your neighbors (many, if not most, HOAs are an example of a good idea carried too far; btw, even Federal law allows reasonable restrictions).
Lady Fitz, I am going to assume you're comment about an open mind was tongue in cheek as I know you don't know me and can't possibly make such a judgement. I also read your your post and in fact quoted it in toto and stated the problem with individual, also quoted, words.

As to what I said about "Rights" I didn't mean you can do whatever you want just because you want to. That is not a right as you pointed out referring to noise ordinances. Rights are given by law which an HOA nor individual may abridge.
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #40

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
You're joking right? The sound our flag makes is the daily reminder of the lives lost protecting the people that sleep beneath it.
Ditto with the sound of jet noise. I was a public affairs NCO for the Air Force, one thing that always bewildered me were the people who bought brand new homes (with an HOA) near the base, then called or wrote repeatedly complaining about the noise the military aircraft made. Like the military was subject to the rules of their HOA and its jackbooted Nazi thugs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #41

Quote:

And anyone who suggests I'm not patriotic is really out of line (I strongly suggest you don't ever say that to my face!)

Since this is obviously aimed at me........

My opinion is that I am not out of line and would gladly say say it to your face
if given the opportunity.

Do you really think a veiled threat on a forum would make me change my
mind about your opinions.
Again, my opinion is that your opinions are not very patriotic, so what....

Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #42

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
Ditto with the sound of jet noise. I was a public affairs NCO for the Air Force, one thing that always bewildered me were the people who bought brand new homes (with an HOA) near the base, then called or wrote repeatedly complaining about the noise the military aircraft made. Like the military was subject to the rules of their HOA and its jackbooted Nazi thugs.
Again, the base was there before the new homes so the people moving in would have no beef. It would be a different story if the base was built in or near an already existing residential area.