Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
He showed them

His Home Owners Assn.said he couldn't fly the American Flag.

Name:   image-3556461072.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  97.2 KB

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #2

Got this about 4 times in e-mail and it's great if it's true. Could be PS.

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Got this about 4 times in e-mail and it's great if it's true. Could be PS.
PS or BS. I can't see any HOA petty enough to disallow flying the flag of our country letting anyone paint a house like that. I would seriously doubt anyone be even allowed to finish such a project once started.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What they going to arrest him?

mike
Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

In many states, HOA's have a lot of power. They can fine him and the put a lien of the property. Some of those folks make a full time job of it. I saw one photo where only 4 colors were allowed in the subdivision. He fought for another, lost and then ended up painting it solid one color with 3 foot pocko dots of another one. He probably wasn't invited to the Christmas Party.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #6

Exactly why I wouldn't buy a place that has an HOA... I don't need anybody telling me what I can & can't do on my property!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A Marine in the Houston area had his HOA file suit against him for flying the flag. He countersued and won. He can fly his flag.

HOA's loose sight of there purpose and go wild.

Ken
Old 05-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
U.S. law "Freedom to Display the American Flag" passed July 24, 2006 prohibits HOA from making such restrictions.

The real story is, Cambridge, MD has a very strict Historical Preservation Commission trying to keep Cambridge in the 19th century. A local contractor, who owns a number of rental properties, has battled with them for years. One house damaged in a fire was going to be such a PITA to rebuild the owner wanted to demolish it. The contractor bought it from the demo company, refurbished the interior, then painted the outside black. It is next to the flag house, I believe. That house was also hassled by the HPC, so, finding out the HPC had no power over paint colors, he painted it in flag motif.

Link here: Cambridge, MD - American Flag and Black House Lots of info on places to visit around the US.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Reminds me of years ago when I lived in Boise. J.R. Simplot (a local billionaire) built his mansion on a hill top overlooking a lot of very nice homes.

Being the patriot he is, he flew an American flag that looked the size of a football field with huge flood lights on it. His neighbors sued because it sounded like thunder echoing through the neighborhood when it flapped in the wind.

I think the flag is still there.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
U.S. law "Freedom to Display the American Flag" passed July 24, 2006 prohibits HOA from making such restrictions.

The real story is, Cambridge, MD has a very strict Historical Preservation Commission trying to keep Cambridge in the 19th century. A local contractor, who owns a number of rental properties, has battled with them for years. One house damaged in a fire was going to be such a PITA to rebuild the owner wanted to demolish it. The contractor bought it from the demo company, refurbished the interior, then painted the outside black. It is next to the flag house, I believe. That house was also hassled by the HPC, so, finding out the HPC had no power over paint colors, he painted it in flag motif.

Link here: Cambridge, MD - American Flag and Black House Lots of info on places to visit around the US.
Thanks for the true story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Reminds me of years ago when I lived in Boise. J.R. Simplot (a local billionaire) built his mansion on a hill top overlooking a lot of very nice homes.

Being the patriot he is, he flew an American flag that looked the size of a football field with huge flood lights on it. His neighbors sued because it sounded like thunder echoing through the neighborhood when it flapped in the wind.

I think the flag is still there.

Rick
I can understand the neighbors' objections to the noise and light pollution. A flag that size is just going too far; there is no need for it. Even a small flag in a stiff breeze makes a surprising amount of racket.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #11

So do my palm trees... sounds like its raining, but I like it & I've never received any complaints from the neighbors.

See HOA's are supposed to be there to handle the extremes... people with 20 windchimes, cars parked on the lawn, trash cans not taken around in a timely manner. But we don't all draw the line in the same place & what is acceptable to one, may not be to all. This is where common sense, pride in ownerships & respect for your neighbors / neighborhoods, comes in handy.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #12

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz...

Thanks for the true story.

A flag that size is just going too far; there is no need for it. Even a small flag in a stiff breeze makes a surprising amount of racket.
You're joking right? The sound our flag makes is the daily reminder of the lives lost protecting the people that sleep beneath it.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #13

The flag should be flown anywhere without restriction. Fighting for it gave us our freedom to do so. Any HOA that would ban the flag, needs new leadership. I fly the flag proudly. America, Love it or leave it...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #14

It seems that those that have never served in the military, usually have less
respect for the flag than those that have served.

This is not aimed directly at any particular posters here, but is a general
observation over the last 40 years.

That's my opinion and if you disagree, I don't really care...