Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #1

Heading to Yosemite this summer you need to know about fire issue.....

The Ferguson Fire is burning right next to the park and may move in soon if it has not already. It is a very large smokey fire and on the move, HWY 140 entrance is closed now and many of the businesses there are closed. Use Hwy 41 entrance but expect a lot of traffic!

Yesterday Glacier Point road was closed and the Yosemite ski resort there is being used as some type of staging point as the fire is moving in that direction.

Over 21,000 acres have burned and only about 10% contained. One firefighter has been killed and two injured. Yosemite valley is so full of smoke at times you cannot see much, or breath without a mask. I live about 25 miles below the fire and it has been very smokey here for nearly 2 weeks. Not to mention hot 95-105 depending on the elevation you are at in the area, and no relief in sight.

I will update to this as we go along with another hot fire season.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Actually, anyone traveling in the west should check and see if wildfires are active in the area or are upwind of the spot you wish to visit. Smoke can make places hundreds of miles away an uncomfortable vacation spot. This keeps up with fire conditions and active fires.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Actually, anyone traveling in the west should check and see if wildfires are active in the area or are upwind of the spot you wish to visit. Smoke can make places hundreds of miles away an uncomfortable vacation spot. This keeps up with fire conditions and active fires.

It’s been this way for as long as I can remember. At least now it’s easier with the internet. Last year we used web cams to figure out which day to drive to crater lake as fires in the area made it un-viewable most days when we were nearby until the wind shifted just right.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #4

Currently 2,832 personnel assigned to this fire, 204 engines,41 dozers, 38 water tenders and 17 aircraft and helicopters. So far 27,129 acres burned. Yosemite west is now under evacuation! This area is just outside of the park to the south.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
M2D

Thank you for the information. It is always helpful to hear from nearby residents.

MTSam was very helpful last year when the Montana fires were raging with one being in Glacier NP.

Coarsegold was helpful to us when we were planning our trip this last March into April. We were in San Diego at one point hoping to visit Yosemite but heavy snows had arrived after what had been a low snowfall in the winter months. Will get to Yosemite someday

Prayers being said for all who are in danger from wildfires and all who are fighting them. Brings tears to the eyes seeing the losses of those affected.

Someone I know on Face Book suggested leaving buckets of water out for wild animals fleeing the fires so they can get a drink while going by.

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #6

Today the total is 33,743 acres burned! Now 3,066 personnel assigned 199 engines, 46 water tenders, 43 dozers and 16 helicopters / fixed wing aircraft. You can only imagine the logistics to feed, house and equip all these people. Also all the equipment needs to be maintained.

You can tell that this is a huge event taking place here. The city of Oakhurst is above me by 7 miles, when I visited there yesterday it is like nothing else. Fire trucks and personnel every where. Hwy 41 goes right through the town and the main Yosemite Park entrance is about 15 miles up the road. The fire is now about 3.5 miles from Hwy 41 so it is possible that it could cross the Hwy which would likely close the park.

Containment of fire is at 13% so this is going to be a long process and likely will continue all summer. Some thunder storms can occur but our real rain does not start until late September.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
Today the total is 33,743 acres burned! Now 3,066 personnel assigned 199 engines, 46 water tenders, 43 dozers and 16 helicopters / fixed wing aircraft. You can only imagine the logistics to feed, house and equip all these people. Also all the equipment needs to be maintained.

You can tell that this is a huge event taking place here. The city of Oakhurst is above me by 7 miles, when I visited there yesterday it is like nothing else. Fire trucks and personnel every where. Hwy 41 goes right through the town and the main Yosemite Park entrance is about 15 miles up the road. The fire is now about 3.5 miles from Hwy 41 so it is possible that it could cross the Hwy which would likely close the park.

Containment of fire is at 13% so this is going to be a long process and likely will continue all summer. Some thunder storms can occur but our real rain does not start until late September.
Wow. We were just there in late June. We stayed in Coarsegold. As a resident of San Diego, and living near the Lilac Fire of last December, I feel your pain. Be safe, and evacuate when they say.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:

I would hope your visit to Oakhurst had a purpose other than sightseeing. In every event, onlookers cause more problems than the original event. Whether a traffic accident, crime, or natural disaster, a significant number of emergency responders must be diverted and deployed to handle the curious.

Prepare for your own evacuation if the fire turns your way and stay out of the way of the professionals.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #9

I went to church, ate lunch and did shopping for the week, just like every Sunday.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I went to church, ate lunch and did shopping for the week, just like every Sunday.
I wondered if it was your 'local' town. The post I quoted didn't make it clear. Now if you had just gone to gawk at the first responders and eat popcorn....

Bob & Donna
Old 07-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #11

Because highway 140 through Mariposa is closed there is a lot more traffic on highway 41.

If highway 41 gets closed then that leaves two other entrances:

1. north west corner highway 120 from Groveland

2. east entrance highway 120 from Lee Vining.

If anything goes bad in a hurry the lines on the road will be very long.

I also live near Coarsegold and do my shopping in Oakhurst. I don't think traffic is too bad... yet!
Old 07-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #12

Yosemite Valley to be closed tomorrow 7/25/18 due to fire/smoke.

Just announced this morning Yosemite Valley will be CLOSED starting tomorrow 7/25 due to heavy smoke. Everyone should be moving out of the valley today. Wawona is also ordered to shut down as it is on 41 yet above the valley. It appears the firefighters are going to make a stand to stop it before it gets to the heart of the park.

This is a huge process and there are many campers and large park hotels trying to get people out in the next 24 hours. Likely to open next week but we will see as parts of Hwy 41 may be needed as a fire break to prevent the spread of it.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

Fire now 25% contained but this week is now the big push to contain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C-130-dropping-retardant-over-Ferguson-Fire-photo-credit-Kari-Greer-620x330.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	212243  
Old 07-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #14
M2D

Sending prayers for the firefighters defending Yosemite and all in danger from this fire. Hoping people respond appropriately in a calm and orderly fashion as they go. Prayers also for the rangers doing their duty during this difficult time.

I mentioned last year how we were in an outside CG on the west side of Glacier NP. The woman checking us in mentioned that her daughter is a ranger. They had closed the west entrance to the park. She was saying that the rangers have to go into the back country to find the campers registered as being there and get them. You may have as little as 20 minutes to leave a lodge or cg. You must grab your stuff and go.

Scary Stuff!

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire