Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Health Ins for DW?

Didn't want to highjack the Medicare thread, but I'll be retiring soon and leaving my employer's health care coverage. I'll be going on Medicare with a supplement (Thanks all for the advice in the Medicare thread). However, DW is MUCH younger than I (emphasis added for her gratification) and will need an individual policy. We are based near Houston, TX and she is in very good health but is a smoker. My questions are:

What carrier do you use for individual coverage?
What is your level of satisfaction with them?
Is there a good resource for comparing coverage, rates, etc?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're in the same position. I would recommend talking with an agent as there are a lot of programs to choose from depending on your annual deductible, copay, etc selections. My wife is also very healthy and we wound up going with Anthem Blue Cross Smart Sense Plus 2000 Upgrade plan.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #3

I suggest you check out Health Insurance - Find Affordable Health Insurance Plans and Buy Medical Coverage Online

We are both retired and not yet 65. This site lets you compare different plans in your area. We found one that fits our needs (and budget) to a "T".
McCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #4

Get rid of her and marry an older woman. Now actually, we found ourselves in that same spot for 3 years after we retired and got Medicare. It is going to be expensive. If she is healthy, go for a very high deductible, high copay, high lifetime max. Think of it as just protection against a major illness that could wipe you out. You will have to buy her own medicine and Dr. care (which can be negotiated by paying cash upfront) up to the deductible. If she is sick, then a regular policy is going to be real expensive. We are both cancer survivors and were paying up to $1496/month (combined). That is a real budget changer for sure. There is also a lot of state to state variation too. The political mess on health care is going to make these big deductible policies impossible to buy soon, so you might start looking.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
You do know that smoking is a killer? It will shoot your rates through the roof.

Sometime a white lie is okay. (older women good also).

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

She should be eligible for Cobra for 18 mos. That would mean she would continue with the coverage she already has.This might be a way to keep her covered while you look/find some coverage to meet your needs. Good luck...I am in a very similar situation and paying 970.00 for DH and myself. I haven't found anyone chomping at the bit to give coverage to us 50somethings. I will find the right policy for us though and I will share info as I glean it,
Old 02-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the replies. I'll be checking out the leads.

Now, as for as getting an older woman I REALLY can't afford that. The premiums on switching coverage from an existing woman are much, much higher than even non-deductible health coverage
Old 02-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
You do know that smoking is a killer? It will shoot your rates through the roof.

Kerry

NEVER EVER lie or put any type of false info on the medical insurance application. The insurance company probably won't catch it for now. But, if you ever need an expensive procedure, they will look back at the application and go all out to find if you lied about anything. Then they can legitimately drop coverage for you just when you need it most.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I'm well aware of the consequences of lying (or withholding information) on an insurance application. Health insurance claims are enough of a PIA without handing them a legitimate right to deny and cancel.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post

Kerry
Whatever you do, DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVISE. If you lie and get caught, then the insurance company can cancel your policy back to the effective date and recoup ALL CLAIMS paid on your behalf. Lying on your health app is about as bone headed advise that I've ever heard, and qualifies for the "Pinhead" award from Bill O'Reilly...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #11

I am in the same boat. I will retire from my company and immediately be on medicare with a company supplement, However my wife will continue on the company's insurance until she turns 65. I actually didn't know that until I contacted my company's benefit department. That sure saves me a lot $.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote