Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #1

Health Insurance ? (still working)

I searched this site, but seems all the answers are for retired people, or full timers. We are neither, I still work, (in our 50's) , but seems like we are getting penalized for not having kids living with us. It is Much more expensive for just the two of us, than if we had 10 kids.... My question is what company do you use in this situation, and are you fairly happy with them ? It's time again to re-up, or look at other options. Thanks,
Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #2

We used BCAA last year, found it expensive, we are now checking with Good Sam and our local credit union.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #3

We have a Health Savings Account (HSA) with Blue Cross in FL. As required for a HSA, the insurance portion has a high deductible. We funded the HSA with pre-tax dollars for a tax benefit out of which we pay for any medical up to the deductible amount. After that they cover 100%. There are some provisions for free annual wellness checkups and a mammogram. Colonoscopies are at no charge. Also, if you stay healthy and don't deplete the HSA, it is your money to keep and use for non-medical things once you retire and go on Medicare. We found the premiums were drastically reduced with a HSA versus a traditional policy. So far we have a lot of money in the HSA account instead of paying it to the insurance company in premiums for insurance we have rarely needed.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

We also have an HSA and we love it. It is the most fair form of insurance we have found. If your employer sponsors the high deductible plans it can save you both thousands.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
We used BCAA last year, found it expensive, we are now checking with Good Sam and our local credit union.
I should mention we are Canadian
(colonoscopys and mamograms are covered under our provincial health care.)
Old 10-23-2012, 01:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
We have a Health Savings Account (HSA) with Blue Cross in FL. As required for a HSA, the insurance portion has a high deductible. We funded the HSA with pre-tax dollars for a tax benefit out of which we pay for any medical up to the deductible amount. After that they cover 100%. There are some provisions for free annual wellness checkups and a mammogram. Colonoscopies are at no charge. Also, if you stay healthy and don't deplete the HSA, it is your money to keep and use for non-medical things once you retire and go on Medicare. We found the premiums were drastically reduced with a HSA versus a traditional policy. So far we have a lot of money in the HSA account instead of paying it to the insurance company in premiums for insurance we have rarely needed.
Great info. We will look into that. Thanks so much !!!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I searched this site, but seems all the answers are for retired people, or full timers. We are neither, I still work, (in our 50's) , but seems like we are getting penalized for not having kids living with us. It is Much more expensive for just the two of us, than if we had 10 kids.... My question is what company do you use in this situation, and are you fairly happy with them ? It's time again to re-up, or look at other options. Thanks,
Monkey
My wife has insurance through her work. Had to add two grandkids onto the policy, Cost us over $200 a month and it's the same for one or ten kids! Next year we can drop both off as the oldest can't be on the policy unless he's going to school and he isn't. The youngest got back on State funded insurance this year so his coverage is better than ours.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My wife has insurance through her work. Had to add two grandkids onto the policy, Cost us over $200 a month and it's the same for one or ten kids! Next year we can drop both off as the oldest can't be on the policy unless he's going to school and he isn't. The youngest got back on State funded insurance this year so his coverage is better than ours.
Thanks Mr D . Just me and DW will cost us $234 a month for what we have had all along,, or we could choose the lowest plan for $154 a month( I think) and possibly go bankrupt with an extended hospital stay.. Nothing political here at all,,,,,,, just was looking for a better option we may not be seeing... Thanks again everybody.
Monkey
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have an HSA from work from The Health Plan- changed from previous HSA with BCBS. Our two year contract is up this year, and the coverage may change, but right now, HSA is the best option for us. I pay a spousal penalty each pay period since DH has not-very-good insurance through his employer
Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Thanks Mr D . Just me and DW will cost us $234 a month for what we have had all along,, or we could choose the lowest plan for $154 a month( I think) and possibly go bankrupt with an extended hospital stay.. Nothing political here at all,,,,,,, just was looking for a better option we may not be seeing... Thanks again everybody.
Monkey
$234.00 a month is a deal!! I'd be happy with that.

Tags
insurance