RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #1

Healthcare on road

Hello,

So far its been ignorance is bliss type thing for us, but with the new year checked into the healthcare process. When on the road even locally there is an in network and outa network difference on care levels and prices bigly.
There is also the issue of international travel and such. Was wondering what is the common practice for these issues and how we Americans are coping with it as well as how the Canadian folks deal with it when they winter here or travel here.

Canada has centralized healthcare from what I understand so the whole country is the network I would imagine, do they have a deal with US providers for seamless coverage?
Looking forward to hearing information on this highly relevant issue for the rally and elsewise. PS.. Is there a medicare... provider that is best suited for mobile Americans

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #2

The medical issue is very confusing to most of us. Medicare works in all 50 states and possessions. The medicare-advantage programs(they are NOT medicare) mostly work in designated areas in the U.S.A. Once a person leaves government Medicare they can never return, as I understand the very complicated rules.

Outside the U.S.A. one will have to purchase private medical insurance, same for our Canadian friends when they are outside CA.

That's the best of my understanding.
I noticed you are also an old member, welcome back!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last time I needed medical care in Canada, I was covered by my American Express card. There was no way they could bill my insurance.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #4

Hi Ray,IN. Thankyou for the shout back. Finally getting ready for some travel time!
Gosh I have to wait about 4 more years to get Insurance on my own, currently corporate coverage. As I understand it, once a person is no longer covered by private/corporate insurance then one has to take medicare as if not there are penalties which are time based and lifelong! Its amazing how much advertising all the different companies do on the telly and yet the information is totally muddled.

Medicare is national that is a great thing, I recall when my kids were on my policy and they were off to college, they would be "covered" on an out of network basis, ie more outapocket! Now they are on their own, but we are considering a mobile or at the least dynamic household where we travel between states and such, then I heard that a lot of the programs are state based, now that just does make logical sense (to regulate the movement of covered folks to a state). Once upon a time we had an HMO and that was even worse, it was local great coverage but if you stray you loose bigtime.
International Rally would be a fantastic place to invite some of these folks to come give simple information that best suits nomadic lives like most seniors who travel lead!
If there is no specific product providing this, it could be a whole new business arena.
I cursorily looked for info, and am amazed as how messy the system is even for non mobile coverage with holes etc. In summary in my mind this medical coverage area is a big ole boiling mudpot at this time.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
For me it is medicare with a plan F supplement that covers me anywhere in the US as well as international coverage (60 days at a time).

My wife is still too young for medicare but has an international policy that covers here anywhere.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote