Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We just returned from a short camping trip, kind of a pre-snowbirding trial run while wearing my "ear horns" driving the RV for the first time. I told DW all the little noises I can now hear while going down the road were making me nervous since I had never heard them before. It is weird hearing all the stuff that you have been missing for who knows how long. I guess the huge price is worth it after all.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For all you people with perfect hearing, who are saying "What's the big deal with all you hearing-impaired people?" - imagine trying to follow a conversation when all you can hear are vowels, and they are muffled

The consonants in our language make use of the higher frequencies - when you lose those high frequencies you lose those consonants...

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #31

With all due respect to a great lady, I'm hoping someone comes out with the Helen Keller edition of a Class B. Prescription windshield, roof a speaker.

Endless DVD of Mr. Magoo playing across the front reader board stolen from a bus explaining to the enemy drivers it's not my fault, I didn't decide to be blind and deaf, and, by the way, move. I don't have time for debating fault, harsh recriminations. If you're into blame, go vote. Don't bother me, I'm concentrating. Oops, was that a giant penguin or a nun? I hate to do that, really feel badly for a while.

Hey, a little tolerance, please. And you call yourself spiritual. Y'know, I wouldn't be deaf if there weren't so many horns going off all the time. Or blind if you weren't so ugly. Think about it.

I think there are possibilities for one's older age. Might be able to keep going longer than I thought.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My aids are Audibel, they have a small, white filter that keeps wax and moisture out of them. When it plugs up I just change the end piece and it's good to go. Very handy and easy to do with the tool that each comes with.
I don't even have to use a dryer on them, don't even own one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My aids are Audibel, they have a small, white filter that keeps wax and moisture out of them. When it plugs up I just change the end piece and it's good to go. Very handy and easy to do with the tool that each comes with.
I don't even have to use a dryer on them, don't even own one.
The Phonaks have the same little filter thing. I don't find myself having to change it very often though. The dryer jar came with the deal but I'm not sure I need that every night. Gives me a place to store them but they did also give me a couple of travel containers with a space for extra batteries.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #34

I still find there are two worlds! One with hearing aids and the one with out and they both have there pluses!!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just got back from a short trip in ours. I thought the thing was coming apart from all the sounds I was hearing.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
I had my audiologist do a special program for my Phonak's for when I driving. Filters the road background noise so its not so overwhelming. Really is nice, the DW liked it better before I got my hearing aids, now I ask her all the time what's that rattling. Spent 22 years in Submarine Service so "no rattles" is a hard habit to break!

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #37

Does anyone make a good waterproof hearing aid? I'm in and out of the ocean all the time, and I just know if I invested all them thousands in a little electronic thing, it's just a matter of time before I forget I have them on and hop over the side of a boat.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #38

Mine have been in the shower many times and in the pool three or four times this summer. So far I think they have escaped water damage.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I recently visited the audiologist as I was having trouble discerning words and speech on the television, and in person. My hearing aids have 4 settings, off, on normal, Acoustic phone, and T-coil. For me to hear the television and leave the volume at a comfortable level for others, I would bump mine to the second level, Acoustic. I have no idea why it worked, but it raised the volume so I could hear 95+ percent of the words. On occasions I would hit the pause button (all shows recorded or not) and just say to DW, "What did they say?"

Even though I have the white filters as described previously, the audiologist still found "some" wax in the aid. She also found that there was a maladjustment, don't know how, in the right aid. Quite a difference when she returned them and I put them back in.

Even so, mine are 5 years old and they are going to be replaced. Wow, so many features to choose from and the one that interests me the most is "Bluetooth." I'll be able to hear my phone anytime I want the Bluetooth connectivity.

I can't wait.

Of course, I did ask her if she could still provide me with DW selective hearing. Being a female audiologist she replied, "Afraid not."

I should have asked for a mail audiologist, much more sensitive to that issue.

p.s., Please, please broadcasters, turn the stupid music volume down in the programing and let us hear the dialogue.

And, I don't have a "smart tv" so could you keep the commercials at the same level as the program?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I connected the TV link S for my Phonaks to the Directv receiver in the MH and bingo they work great. Must have had something wrong at the stick house. Won't be back until spring to figure it out though.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thought I would resurrect the hearing aid thing. Being new to it I couldn't understand why I was having trouble with them when I sweat especially when they cost so much. Didn't take much and they would go nuts and the batteries would die. Ask my Sam's audiologist about it and his answer was don't wear them if you are sweating much. I told him that was nuts and if I could get my money back I would but too late for that. Doing some research I found ear gear. It's a slip on thing that presets the aid. Today was on the roof of my stick built sweating like a fiend and no problems with the aids. So for those that are looking for something like this, ear gear worked for me.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My hearing aids will be 5 years old next Feb. Then the State will pay for replacements. Problem is the laws prohibit my paying for any upgrades from what the State will provide, If I do then I lose all my benefits (industrial hearing loss).
I also wish I could go to Costco and get a good set, but they (WA state) won't work with Costco, nor can I pay and bill the state. So I'm stuck with aids that may not be what I need or having to pay the full cost myself.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped