Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
If anyone is a vet. they should go see what the V.A. will do for them..
Just a thought.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
If anyone is a vet. they should go see what the V.A. will do for them..
Just a thought.
My FIL got his from the VA. The first pair looked like ear muffs. Giant purple ear piece and an over the ear. I don't think they ever worked right. They took them back and the VA cleaned and adjusted them many times. He still could not hear a thing. Finally they gave him a new pair that don't look as bad and he can hear better. Still not what I would call perfect though.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got mine from the VA - they are made by Siemens, and are the same model that I paid $2600 each for through Miracle Ear - through the VA I paid $50 for the office visit, and even get free batteries!

Next month I'm going to see if I can get free eyeglasses through the VA - thanks taxpayers!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
What about all the other Americans That Supported. Built Guns.Knives, Tanks Airplains. and all the other support For our Millitary, So they could Protect Us.. We have Get No Financual assistance, I think IT STINKS. NO WOUDER our country is going Broke. Everyone is sucking off the Broken system, Excuse my spelling. I paid for my own school,
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Almost forgot. I have Hearing aids. And yes. I PAID FOR THEM OUT OF MY POCKET. just cut back on our medacation and food, So i could get Hearing aids, America Is Great...
Old 09-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
What about all the other Americans That Supported. Built Guns.Knives, Tanks Airplains. and all the other support For our Millitary, So they could Protect Us.. We have Get No Financual assistance, I think IT STINKS. NO WOUDER our country is going Broke. Everyone is sucking off the Broken system, Excuse my spelling. I paid for my own school,
I have to assume this is a troll - I can't imagine anybody being so bitter. My first thought was: if you paid for your own school, you got ripped off - you need to get your money back...
Old 09-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #49

iRV2 No Limits Club
I broke-down and bought two hearing aids about 6 years ago.
They are duel microphones and have 3 separate settings.
I had them setup for normal conversation, telephone and noisy room conditions. Push the micro button and change the settings at will.

They were over $5,000 when i bought them.

They are now in the bathroom draw and they stay there.

I did wear them for several years, before I retired.
They never worked as advertised.
I had them re-programed a half dozen times.

They squealed on the phone on any of the 3 settings,
I could hear the pots and pan in the kitchen of a restaurant
bang but not understand a word the DW was saying 2 ft from me.

I can also forget live music. They will immediately be put in my pocklet.

As far as i am concerned, Hearing Aids are like a David Copperfield show.
All smoke and mirrors.

There is a big difference between hearing SOUND and being able to distinguish words.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #50
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Old me and all,

The technology has changed considerably in the last several years.

I have the Phonak Naida S. It is difficult to list all of the features and add-ons that are available.

My normal operation is:

Put them in the ear with the battery inserted (they are the behind the ear digital model) Put the ComPilot around my neck. it looks like a medical device but it is really a hearing aid control. I can control the volume without the compilot, but it is much better with.

With the Compilot I can increase or decrease the volume to the hearing aids.
If I push one of the buttons once, it connect my hearing aids to the "T" coil of the house phone. Putting the phone up to my ear will put the callers voice in both ears.

If I push the button twice it puts the hearing aids into zoom control mode. Zoom control allows you to hear the voices that are coming from, say the passenger seat, or if you are in the passenger seat, the driver's seat. It's automatic.

If I push the button three times it puts it into another zoom control mode, that of the speaker in front of you and basically filters out the extraneous noises.

The ComPilot makes the hearing aids compatible with Bluetooth technology. Once paired with your telephone that is Bluetooth capable, when the phone rings you just push the button on the Compilot and you hear the person in both ears. The Compilot is the microphone.

Then there is the TV (Television, not tow vehicle) link. When you have the TV Link, it is paired to the Compilot and hearing aids. I use mine with the fixed output of my satellite receiver (has to be RCA jacks, presently) and no matter what anyone does to the volume on the TV I have fixed audio in my hearing aids. Makes a much better environment than having your neighbors having to listen you my television audio.

This technology not only allows you to hear at a level that is commensurate with normal hearing but it also allows you to understand the words. As with any hearing aids, of the person mumbles or drops their voice level at the end of sentences, which many do, then it is a learning curve to teach them to speak in a constant normal voice.

There are a lot of other built in features for the Phonak Naida S and they can be seen on the Phonak web site.

I don't know about your particular hearing aids, but this new technology really works for me.

p.s., they are water resistant.

another p.s., some hearing aids require that little white plug filter. It is a screen that captures wax. Some have a little tube sticking out and those do not require the filter. When I say tube, think of the tube on the back of your RV refrigerator and then think real, real, small. This style just requires you to wip across a cloth or paper towel and does not seem to get plugged up. However they also give you the little brush and loop on the other end to spin around inside that tube. I still think it is a good thing to go once a year and have them professionally cleaned and UV'd.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #51

A couple of points:

First, it seems to me that hearing aids are an extremely appropriate thing to be covered by the VA, since hearing loss could be so likely "job related" for military personnel (no, I'm not military myself). Whether in combat or training, I imagine they are exposed to plenty of ear-splitting explosions.

Oldme, sorry your aids didn't work out for you, but I can assure you that for many, including myself, modern hearing aids are extremely helpful, and definitely not "smoke and mirrors". Perhaps your particular hearing problem is not a good fit to what hearing aids can fix, or possibly the brand or the Audiologist were not up to par. (My Audiologist wore hearing aids herself, and understood on a personal level the issues of hearing difficulty.)

Unfortunately, they"re very expensive and you can't get them "on trial" to see if they're going to work for you.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #52
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
It's called "benefits," and they go with the job. You get what you put into it.

As for the military, many put their lives up for the benefits they receive, and they did it over, and over, and over again.

No problem on the spelling as it is still readable. However, most browsers support automatic spell checkers and they will underline misspelled words and it is easy to just "right" click and have it corrected. Try it.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #53
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
A couple of points:

First, it seems to me that hearing aids are an extremely appropriate thing to be covered by the VA, since hearing loss could be so likely "job related" for military personnel (no, I'm not military myself). Whether in combat or training, I imagine they are exposed to plenty of ear-splitting explosions.
You are so right! Now, let's go back to the 60's when I was going through boot camp. We went to the firing range for a week and had to qualify on the M1 rifle. We were given ear plugs, however in the course of a day they usually got lost. What to do. We were told what to do. Find a cigarette with a filter on it, break the filter off and use the filter as ear plugs. Not very efficient. My real problems was when I was in Vietnam and walking past a 175 Self Propelled howitzer and I did not know there was a fire mission going on. Just as I passed behind it by about 20 yards the pulled the lanyard. Talk about a teeth jarring, ear shattering experience. Wow! There were other incidents, but what the heck. Neither of those incidents got me hearing aids from the VA. They were never recorded in my medical records.

Also, there is a very good screening process for veterans with ailments that the VA administers. it is contracted out to companies with physicians and for every item that a veteran claims is wrong with him, he is screened for that ailment. Also his active duty medical records are scrutinized to see if he contracted this while on active duty. The exception is Agent Orange where there are presumed diseases cause by this herbicide.

So when anyone sees a disabled veteran placard/license plate, just remember that not all disabilities are visible to the human eye.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
The ComPilot makes the hearing aids compatible with Bluetooth technology. Once paired with your telephone that is Bluetooth capable, when the phone rings you just push the button on the Compilot and you hear the person in both ears. The Compilot is the microphone.
Wayne, Mine are also Phonak with the Compilot stuff. I love the Bluetooth but find that it reminds me a little too often that it is working. While connected to my Droid phone every time I do anything on it my aids it will announce "Compilot bla bla bla (the model number). Annoying. Yours do the same?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
...There were other incidents, but what the heck. Neither of those incidents got me hearing aids from the VA. They were never recorded in my medical records.
My service was similar - in Basic we trained with the M16 back in '71, and then in AIT I was trained on the 81mm mortars. During Basic we were issued ear plugs that worked well, but the last couple of weeks we were told to lose them because we wouldn't be wearing them if we went into combat. The first time I fired an M60 with no plugs I was deaf for about 24 hours! But, like you, it was never recorded in my records.

But a couple of years ago I found out that the VA has loosened their requirements - they now provide hearing aids if your hearing loss impacts your quality of life - you no longer have to have it documented as service-connected. A year ago I got my current ones - made by Siemens.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #56
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Wayne, Mine are also Phonak with the Compilot stuff. I love the Bluetooth but find that it reminds me a little too often that it is working. While connected to my Droid phone every time I do anything on it my aids it will announce "Compilot bla bla bla (the model number). Annoying. Yours do the same?
They did, but I turned off all the "notification" things on the Sam Gal S III and there is no problem anymore. I think by "Maps" program will still activate the Bluetooth, but I don't use it that much for maps.

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped