Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Well said Billieg - count me in.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Help America before it's too late
??????

Too many folks have been asleep WAYYYyyyy too long - it's already BEEN "too late" for many decades now - the patient is dead, only the funeral remains!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I have no problem with buying American made stuff to the point of "Union Made", then I go foreign.

By the way, there is no such thing as an "American Flag" as that could be Canadian or Mexican as well a the USA. The correct term, for those that care, is the Flag of the United States of America.

Ed
Are you saying that you would rather buy foreign made goods, made by people sleeping on dirt floors, than buy something Union made that supports our middle class? The idea of a world economy was sold to us by big business as a way to lift up the lives of those who live in third world poverty, instead it's become a race to the bottom. The unions that brought us the middle classare being portrayed as pariahs, the investor which used to support innovation are now just sponges that suck the life from the working class. With the advent of computer trading they take pennies out of billions of trades which don't add a thing to the economy!
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We've tanked the US dollar which is the unit of currency that oil is traded in. As our dollar goes down, our oil prices will go up and it has been that way for years.
BINGO! The devaluation of the dollar is the biggest reason we are seeing the increase in gas prices we are seeing today. In my opinion the bigger reason for the alarming demise of the US dollar is the astronomical national debt and the continued insane defecit spending.

I don't mean to turn this in to a political debate, there's no need for that. The simple fact is, we can not go on like this forever. One day, it will implode. And when the dollar is replaced as the international monetary unit, the gas prices we are seeing today will seem like a bargain.

Again there is no need for a "my party is better than your party" argument. It's pointless and we are way past that point anyway. If things do not radically change quickly, we are headed for troubles we have only imagined up to now.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
The large gas companies testified today in front of congress that if their tax credits were taken away gas prices would go up. Exon made 11 BILLION in PROFIT this first quarter! That's PROFIT after every bill was paid! They still want us to "help" them with our tax dollars? I think we have found the new terrorists.... It's time to send a message to these people. Our grandfathers, fathers, uncles and many of us have fought for this country. Let's not back down now.... So maybe if we stop buying Exon/Mobile and overseas gas and buy USA owned smaller company gas: Murphy, Standard, Kerr-McGee,Marathon, Phillips 66,Sinclair,Sonoco,Spur,Sunoco,Tenneco,Texaco,Ultr amar and Union 76
gas they will get the picture. I'm not trying to make this political but trying to say buy American first even if it's a few cents more. It's our future.... and our kids future and our grand kids future..... Why let them down?
Profit on what amount of gross business? What percentage of the gross business is this profit?? I think you will find that it is much less than 10% which is not much it the total context of things. This is again our media doing it's sensationalism reporting. Out of this profit comes funds for prospecting for and developing of more sources of energy which is extremely expensive.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
Profit on what amount of gross business? What perceningtage of the gross business is this profit?? I think you will find that it is much less than 10% which is not much it the total context of things. This is again our media doing it's sensationalism reporting. Out of this profit comes funds for prospecting for and developing of more sources of energy which is extremely expensive.
What part of the petroleum industry do you work for? The oil companies are take advantage of the raping speculators are giving the American people. They are on b oth ends of the supply line, production and refining. They benefit from this insanity. I was in the construction industry for 45 years If a contractor bids with a 10% markup they will wilt on the vine waiting to win a job.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #21

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
Profit on what amount of gross business? What percentage of the gross business is this profit?? I think you will find that it is much less than 10% which is not much it the total context of things. This is again our media doing it's sensationalism reporting. Out of this profit comes funds for prospecting for and developing of more sources of energy which is extremely expensive.
Quote from an article:
With U.S. motorists paying the most for gasoline since prices reached a record $4.11 a gallon in the summer of 2008, Exxon said today that its first-quarter net income jumped 69 percent to $10.7 billion. The Irving, Texas-based company is sitting on a cash pile of $13.2 billion, even after distributing more than $7 billion to shareholders in buybacks and dividends.

Net income is the residual income of a firm after adding total revenue and gains and subtracting all expenses and losses for the reporting period.

So, after paying all the bills, shareholders and projects off they still have 13.2 billion in the kitty...... Poor oil company. They really need our tax dollars to survive.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #22

Once again we focus on the oil companies and others when the blame lies in Washington, DC. I'm not talking about either party I'm talking about both parties. They continue to spend, spend and then spend again without a thought about the people of the United States. "We have met the enemy and they is us" Pogo.

Mike
Mtn.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #23

Billions in profits but they don't say 8% profit. What about GE?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #24

The way most americans must buy products is to get the most bang for the buck;
Competion is the name of the game, most buy things they need by shopping for price, if two identical products are ____one priced at $100.00 the other at $125.00; which one would you buy, if one was made in the USA the other overseas. Unless you have deep pockets, most would chose the lower priced item.
Those on fixed incomes must chose value per dollar spent; those that think otherwise are in the minority.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Who starts all these bash the oil company threads and what are their political agendas. Do they ever do any serious economic research on the topic? Do they just spout bumper sticker political slogans? Profit margin - educate yourself on that term. The oil companies make approximately SEVEN PERCENT PROFIT on their earnings after paying over 40% in taxes on those earnings. High tech companies are reported to be making over 35%, 40% or more profit on their earnings but they do not make the headlines. These items were brought out in those hearings but conveniently glossed over because they defuse the political agenda of the bashers.

These oil price and oil company threads always culminate in a political discussion as they should because, in my opinion, politics are the heart of the entire high fuel price situation we are being forced to endure!
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I have no problem with buying American made stuff to the point of "Union Made", then I go foreign.

By the way, there is no such thing as an "American Flag" as that could be Canadian or Mexican as well a the USA. The correct term, for those that care, is the Flag of the United States of America.

Ed
Well if we don't watch out the Pledge of allegiance to the Flag of the United States of AMERICA will be out of schools and government and there will be NO AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks to special interest
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #27

Buy USA

I'd like to suggest that you also check the food items you buy. It's amazing how many come from China. Take the time to check the label for country of origin. It will amaze you!!!
sunshineOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I saved an email from 2 years ago with bar-code country origins:

The first digits of a bar-code are the country wherein the product was made.

690.691.692 until 695 are all China
471 is Taiwan
00 ~ 13 USA & CANADA
30 ~ 37 FRANCE
40 ~ 44 GERMANY
49 ~ JAPAN
50 ~ UK
57 ~ Denmark
64 ~ Finland
76 ~ Switzerland and Liechtenstein
628 ~ Saudi-Arabia
629 ~ United Arab Emirates