Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #29

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
The way most americans must buy products is to get the most bang for the buck;
Competion is the name of the game, most buy things they need by shopping for price, if two identical products are ____one priced at $100.00 the other at $125.00; which one would you buy, if one was made in the USA the other overseas. Unless you have deep pockets, most would chose the lower priced item.
Those on fixed incomes must chose value per dollar spent; those that think otherwise are in the minority.
Save a few bucks and screw the next generation. Way to go. I hope the people who do this feel good looking in the mirror when shaving in the morning.... Many Americans put their lives on the line (me included) to save America. Many paid the ultimate price. A few extra $$ to save America should be worth the price. If you can't do without a few things to buy American products then you are too full of yourself and I feel sorry for you.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
All refiners Trade barrels of finished products (gasoline, diesel) at various terminals and loading racks. At these loading pints they simmply add the propritary additve formulas. In other words gas is gas untill the given additive formula is added. This is what makes it Shell, Chevron or what ever gasoline. A Exxon termimal may very well be load BP gasoline in a given truck for delivery while the very next truck may be loading Shell or even a discount gas like Walmart or Costco. You wont see a Costco refinery. Many independant refiners buy crude from BP, Conoco etc then refine and blend it for many brand names. The independents have to buy crude at the price per barrel you hear about from the major oil companies and other smaller sources. Yes there are mon and pop oil wells all through the USA as well. We have the oil in the US we just need to go after it. Even with renewable engery, conservation, and electric cars we will always need oil. We can only slow the "growth" for the need. If you want the economy to grow we will need more oil. Only a fraction of what oil is used for is motor fuel. The computer i'm typing on could not be made without oil!....Wise up america
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #31

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
When I worked for a major oil company as a revenue accountant, I was responsible for consolidating the report for the royalty that was due/paid to our Government, they (USGS) gets 1/6 th of every barrel of oil/condensate produced or sold, they also get 1/6th of every BTU of gasoline produced or sold. Most of the wire transfers to USGS monthly were in the 5-6 million dollar range from our company alone, So add all of the Major oil companies together, how much could that possibly add up to in royalty payments to our Government. That does not include the amount of royalties taken as "like Kind" which were transferred to an independent company. Never did get into the part of how someone could get the portion of royalties to be sold, or refined by the independent company nor how much they paid the USGS for the portion they took in "like Kind" or was it a program that they qualified for. ( a gift from the the Government)
The reason I am doing this post is every time someone talks about how much the oil companies are getting, no one mentions how much the government gets off the top! and those reports had to be coded just right or someone from the USGS called to "advise" me that my report was miscoded.. however someone in their department forgot to advise us of the changes..
Unions.... most American products are so expensive that our "middle class" cannot afford them let alone the ones in a poverty level and the elderly on fixed incomes.. or the millions that do not even have a job, that is one of the reasons products are imported to this country.
Taxation has forced companies to move to China and elsewhere, and the ones that are here ship their product to another country to be packaged as they can get it done cheaper. Look at your packages,, made in USA, packaged in China, etc.
When all of the major companies move to another country, who will support the Government? Individuals can't because they won't have a job.
And we won't need a government body as we will all be one society.
Freedom as we know it will be no more. Look around you, people from other countries in our country have more freedom than we do.. we cannot pray in public as we may offend someone, we cannot say our Pledges , we may offend someone.. enjoy what you have now as it may be gone tomorrow.
Ok ,, I am getting off my soap box and give someone else the floor!
Helen (not Slowpoke) ,,according to him, he just carries my soap box around for me, I keep it shined up...

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Save a few bucks and screw the next generation. Way to go. I hope the people who do this feel good looking in the mirror when shaving in the morning.... Many Americans put their lives on the line (me included) to save America. Many paid the ultimate price. A few extra $$ to save America should be worth the price. If you can't do without a few things to buy American products then you are too full of yourself and I feel sorry for you.
Billieg:
I think you just took a shot at %90 of the people.

Walmart is a perfect example; if people wern't looking for best prices they wouldn't be going to walmart,
people are always bashing walmart, but most still shop there.
This is life.
When the American MFG prices are competive with offshore, people will buy American.
Sorry thats a fact of life.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
The way most americans must buy products is to get the most bang for the buck;
Competion is the name of the game, most buy things they need by shopping for price, if two identical products are ____one priced at $100.00 the other at $125.00; which one would you buy, if one was made in the USA the other overseas. Unless you have deep pockets, most would chose the lower priced item.
Those on fixed incomes must chose value per dollar spent; those that think otherwise are in the minority.
There is a difference between lowest price and most value the dollar. Walmart specs out the the items they sell. You can buy the same model of tv at Best Buy and Walmart and the internal spec will be different. Walmart specs to achieve the lowest price. The TV manufacturers must build with cheaper parts. So they are not identical items one is inferior. On many items there will be slightly less in a package as little as 1/2 oz but if you sell 10 million of them it adds up. So the lowest dollar price may not be the most value for your money
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
I have no problem with the idea of buying American, union made or not. But we will have a hard time finding away to get back to making things in America, union or not.
I do however have a problem with the author of the article...This is a link to his NEWS site....intersesting reading...Peace D
A Free Press for a Free People
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #35

Thumbs up

Well, I think we may have gotten a little of track here. We all know the Government has a lot to do with things but the premise is we need to do something about it that we can do. If we sit by and do nothing America will surely fall. We are already on our knees. I think we owe it to our kids and grand kids to do something now.

I just came from the grocery store and tried to buy as much American products as I could. Many of the can goods were either made or packaged elsewhere. The Dole brand is made here in the USA and for the most part was only a few cents more. I needed window cleaner and Windex which is made here was 21 cents more. The gas at Murphy was cheaper than most of the other stations and only 2 cents higher than the lowest price. For every dollar we spend here that goes to an American company new jobs will be created or a business will survive.

I own a software company that provides employment testing for new employees. Do I have to say anymore? In 2001 we had 6000 clients using it. Today we have 856. I had to lay off 9 employees and it hurt. Businesses are hurting and the new graduates have little hope of finding a job. We can bury our heads in the sand and hope the problems go away but they won't unless "we the people" do something about it.
Thanks for all your replies.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #36

If you are paying $35/cartoon of Marlboro's, how much is the tobacco company making?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #37

Want cheaper fuel. Have one blend for the nation. It's ridiculous that almost every state has a different blend, then throw in the winter/summer blend.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
51% of us pay no income tax and many receive a check for being poor.

So, based on numbers alone, most of us are happy and have no clue about your complaint.

OP: you may want to go into the woods and scream at the top of your lungs,
it'll be the same results.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
51% of us pay no income tax and many receive a check for being poor.

So, based on numbers alone, most of us are happy and have no clue about your complaint.

OP: you may want to go into the woods and scream at the top of your lungs,
it'll be the same results.

Kerry
You maybe right about 51% having no clue but how long do you think the 51% have left to collect their free checks? If they don't help us 49% do something no one will get any benefits or free checks.... In the end everyone can go into the woods and scream all they want but it will be too late. Are WE the first generation to let this country fail? Are we that lazy and self centered? I hope not...
Old 05-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Billieg: I agree with you completely.

Our federal political system is based on "How can I give you more money so you will vote for me ?".

I wish it was fixable but we are near the bottom of the slippery slope. It was a great ride while it lasted. Other than that I am very optimistic.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #41

Just so that you know there is hope. There is a store in Elma, NY, that only sells products made in the USA. When they first opened a year ago they had something like 50 items in the store. Now they have over 3000. The store is so unique it even has become a tourist attraction with tour buses stopping. Here is their website.

http://www.saveourcountryfirst.com/