Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

HELP DirecTV Deafness

While we were still in Houston and our Rig was in storage, we got DT installed in the rig. Repeatedly told them that it was a Motorhome and that we would be mobile.Well guess what?

The installer came and installed it as if as if we were a permanent fixture, with a genie (which I did not request) a slim line antennae on a 4ft by 4ft steel frame base anchored with 2 cement blocks. It worked beautifully while it was there (for 2 days before our departure for Rainbow`s End) thank God for big basement storage bins on our Damon. Now @ SKP park and I cannot get the @#$#@m thing to work. The only reason that I accepted the installation is that we were leaving shortly and did not have time to rectify this blunder.

What I really want is a simple non HD system a smaller antennae so I can put the antennae on a tripod.
Also I want to be able to connect it to our Trac 3 roof antennae.

Question is, does anyone know who I can contact at DirecTV who knows what a Motorhome is. I see many Rigs with D/T set-ups, surely someone there must know.

Any HELP on this dilema would be appreciated.

Art (pulling my non-existing hair out)
aandbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No one at DirecTV will help you with a "mobile" issue. They don't do tripods, or domes, or anything like that. You might be able to get them to swap the Genie for an SD-only receiver, or at least a non-SWM one. Maybe. If that's what you really wanted, you should not have accepted the install in the first place.

Now, you do have options for getting a tripod antenna, from someone like Flat Screen TV Mounts for RV - TVs For Travel Trailers | TVForMyRV. They can sell you the antenna and tell you how to set it up. If all you want is SD, maybe a Carry-Out style antenna would be right for you.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #3

You can use the portable HD dish on a tripod. Try this website: tv4rv.com. They have tripods and equipment available to make set up easy. We used one for a long time before we had our rooftop dish installed.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #4

I've herd that there will be no more SD receivers if yours dies so sad.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
DTV sells an SD receiver for $69.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to get it to work..

First, HOOK I up with the receiver UNPLUGGED, always unplug before connecting/disconnecting the antenna (possible damage to receiver when connecting or dis connecting, rare, but possible)

now, On the receiver find the antenna pointing page.. Hold on, I have reference in front of me just now.

MENU Settings Satellite "repeat Satellite Setup" should do it.

I did not go all the way due to recording in progress.

now, Enter zip code, the unit will respond with azimuth, elevation and tilt suggestions.

Set up tripod with mast PLUMB, use a level or plumb bomb

Pre-set Elevation and snug, do not tighten
Pre-set tilt, tighten

Using a portable TV slowly move the antenna through the suggested azimuth setting (use a compass) watching for signal peaks, When you get the green bar (proper satellite) peak it, and push/pull gently on the top of the dish to see if you need to adjust elevation.. Once you have it peaked both in Az and El, lock it down,, Finish set up inside with the remote, job done.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
How to get it to work..

First, HOOK I up with the receiver UNPLUGGED, always unplug before connecting/disconnecting the antenna (possible damage to receiver when connecting or dis connecting, rare, but possible)

now, On the receiver find the antenna pointing page.. Hold on, I have reference in front of me just now.

MENU Settings Satellite "repeat Satellite Setup" should do it.

I did not go all the way due to recording in progress.

now, Enter zip code, the unit will respond with azimuth, elevation and tilt suggestions.

Set up tripod with mast PLUMB, use a level or plumb bomb

Pre-set Elevation and snug, do not tighten
Pre-set tilt, tighten

Using a portable TV slowly move the antenna through the suggested azimuth setting (use a compass) watching for signal peaks, When you get the green bar (proper satellite) peak it, and push/pull gently on the top of the dish to see if you need to adjust elevation.. Once you have it peaked both in Az and El, lock it down,, Finish set up inside with the remote, job done.

Thanks I will try that when we get to La Grange on Thurs.
aandbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #8

To add a bit to what wa8yxm suggested, you need to be sure that your pole is perfectly vertical. Many of us use pole levels such as this one for that adjustment.

And I find it easier to use dispointer.com for my alignment values. The zip for La Grange, TX is 78945 and the settings are: magnetic azimuth = 184.5, elevation = 54.8 and a tilt/skew of 82.9.

Please share how all this works for you.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:32 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Still on the DirecTV website -
DirecTV SD receiver Model#D12 $69
DirecTV SD DVR/receiver Model#R22 $99
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
What apparently is the new DirecTV policy is that there will be no more Standard Definition installs. Whenever you make a call that involves an installer you will not get an SD install. DirecTV even sent an installer to replace our D12 (SD) with an HR24 (HD) for free (in S&B house).

So, yes you can still buy SD receivers, but you have to do the install yourself.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
What apparently is the new DirecTV policy is that there will be no more Standard Definition installs. Whenever you make a call that involves an installer you will not get an SD install. DirecTV even sent an installer to replace our D12 (SD) with an HR24 (HD) for free (in S&B house).

So, yes you can still buy SD receivers, but you have to do the install yourself.
An HD receiver will still receive SD. Will they install an HD receiver and allow you to only subscribe to SD?
Old 12-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
An HD receiver will still receive SD. Will they install an HD receiver and allow you to only subscribe to SD?
I would think they would since you have to pay an extra $10 each month for HD. And, at least the H24/HR24 level receiver has video output that works well with a standard definition TV. We used it for a couple of years with our old Sony in the RV.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the R22 and one problem is that it does not have an RF coax "out" connector on the back, just HDMI, S-Video and RCA plugs. Bummer.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
I have the R22 and one problem is that it does not have an RF coax "out" connector on the back, just HDMI, S-Video and RCA plugs. Bummer.
Get an RF modulator - RCA in, coax out.