Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Help make new members feel welcome!

Let's all help to make new members feel welcome on IRV2!

Just look under "FORUMS" and "New Member Check-In" at least once a day and extend a warm welcome to those new folks joining us!

The next one checking in could be the one that solves that tough problem you've not been able to fix!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, Joe and Annette! That's a great post.

Oddly, there are some that feel those welcoming posts are fluff to pad your post count...but that is the opposite of the truth.

Welcoming a new member (in the New Member Check-in Forum or any Forum) could make the difference between them coming back or not.

Just ask anyone who ever asked a question that received no replies or those that got flamed...they probably wouldn't visit again.

Thanks again and safe travels.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree Joe & Annette,

Like you I check it most every day. When I started I remember WAITING for my first reply. I didn't know what to expect and I was so ignorant of RVs and I really needed help.

Thankfully several people came forward and welcomed me, made a few suggestions, and eased my way into this field. It does make a difference to new people so please check this out and welcome those new members.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I find this viewpoint interesting. When I join a forum, it is usually because I have a specific question that I want/need help with. If I get an answer, great! I may stick around. If I don't get an answer, I just keep looking for another forum that will have answers. A post that says "Welcome" but without an answer just doesn't even make my radar screen. For that reason, I provide answers or background on questions I think I can help with, but I don't just say "Hi" to a new poster. Obviously I am a task oriented introvert, but I thought I would mention the contrasting view as a balance.

Isn't it nice we all have different styles and personalities?
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
... A post that says "Welcome" but without an answer just doesn't even make my radar screen. ...
Actually, the New Member Check-In section is for just that: a new member introducing themselves & for existing members to welcome them. The rest of the forums are for asking questions. When questions are asked in New Member, we do our best to move that post to where it will get a proper response.

We want new members to feel welcome & as post that says only "Welcome" in the New Member Check-In section is all that's needed there.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I find this viewpoint interesting. When I join a forum, it is usually because I have a specific question that I want/need help with. If I get an answer, great! I may stick around. If I don't get an answer, I just keep looking for another forum that will have answers. A post that says "Welcome" but without an answer just doesn't even make my radar screen. For that reason, I provide answers or background on questions I think I can help with, but I don't just say "Hi" to a new poster. Obviously I am a task oriented introvert, but I thought I would mention the contrasting view as a balance.

I understand where you're coming from. I can see where that might make them feel like we're not trying to help. If I can answer their questions I try to do so, but if I can't, I try to tell them I'm sorry I can't help.

Along with what Lori said, I sometimes tell them to post specific questions in other areas of the forum for best results!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the reminder Joe. I used to welcome new members and I'm not sure why I stopped. I will renew my efforts, as I do remember what it felt like when I joined other forums and got nothing. This forum has been a much better experience because of the members like you. Thank you.
Brenda
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Thanks Joe. It really makes a difference to our new members.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Joe,

I remember when I first joined. There were many members that just said hello, and it made me feel welcome. I try to do the same for others. It's all about being courteous.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

Yes, I never even checked into the new member forum for quite some time... I went straight to where I could ask a question and started to research a bit there and asked my questions long before I ever even thought to post in the newbie spot! Now and then I check in and welcome folks... probably not often enough, thanks for the reminder to do my part making people feel welcome.

Tags