Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Help ! Mice in our camper

We got a brand new camper last summer. No canvas, all fiberglass 30 ft pull behind. We have never had mice in this or any other camper that we have had before. This month we have put several mouse traps inside the camper and have caught five mice so far. There are droppings everywhere! Does anyone have any suggestions ? I will be scrubbing the interior next week to prepare for our first spring outing in three weeks, but I want to make sure the critters have vacated first !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You will never win the war until you figure out how they are getting into the camper and stop them from entering.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't had the problem but a while back there was a couple of threads with many recommendations. Doing a search you should have your answer. One that was recommended a lot that I wrote down for future reference was Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent Robot Check
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

You need to find out how they are getting in, they can enter through some pretty small opening, but they need to be sealed out.. What I did was to get some 1/8 inch galvanized hardware cloth and cut it to fit in the trailer openings I had and then I bought some adhesive sealant and "glued" the hardware cloth pieces in place. On the opening I couldn't do that to I sealed then opening with some steel wool.

However you do it all openings should be sealed up. Keep the traps inside your trailer and put some more outside the trailer. You need to become a lean mean mouse getting machine. Those mice can do alot of damage inside the trailer especially if they learn that trailer wiring insulation taste good.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
IC2

Last spring when we opened our virtually new 5er and found that almost everywhere we looked there were mouse tu .... err, droppings. Many hours and quite a few dollars later I had discovered and plugged more then a few entryways. The worst ones were the drain and water penetrations to the basement and sub floor. To get to those areas, they found several openings in the covering between the frame rails. This year with the holes plugged, traps set, a 'green' mouse deterrent and a box of dryer sheets, no sign of infestation. The damage they did included our dresser and closet with ALL of our summer clothes, most of the lower kitchen and bathroom cabinets and drawers filled with utensils and even non perishables like paper and cloth items either destroyed or requiring a disinfecting wash.

This is an ongoing thing and every brand seems to suffer some, regardless of intial unit cost. Fix it right once and have fun. It's a fact of RVing
Old 03-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

We had the same problem two years ago,someone suggested dryer sheets and scented soap,worked like a charm
Old 03-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #7

Get a bore inspection camera from harbor freight.

A couple cans of spray in foam sealer.

A bag or the coarse steel wool or non - steel scrubbing pads.

A rattle can of spray on bed liner.

A very bright portable light.

First vacuum up all the stuff in the unit but do not open anything.

Next pick a corner to start and work around until you get back to that corner.

Open cabinets and remove drawers and do "Mouse csi" following any trail to locate holes or pathways while cleaning as you go.

Stuff steel wool in any holes for now and take photos.

Look close at any utility path.

Water
Power
Drain
Vent
So on
So fourth.

When done inside start outside.

Look under for trails.

The bore camera gets behind things.

When dark place light under at different places and look inside for light.

Next light inside and look from outside.

For holes in floor stuff steel wool then spray foam.

After cure spray bed liner as they seem to not like it.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

This year has been the worst I have seen. I think a warmer than usual fall and winter (east central Illinois) gave the varmints the ability to have more litters. Between the camper, truck and house I bet I've trapped over a hundred mice.

We're going camping in 3 weeks and it will take a week to clean up their mess.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

We had some when we first parked our camper, and I started to use Fresh Cab, and now I use my wife's soap and herbal oils to make my own and just keep refreshing the Fresh Cab packets. Haven't seen a sign of them since.

I keep one under the bathroom counter, one in pantry, one in the A/C intake just sitting on top of the filter, and one in the front storage compartment.

About once a month, I add a small squirt to each packet to renew them. I recently made 4 ounces of the oil mixture, put it in a small spray bottle, and spray directly onto the packets.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #10
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
We had some when we first parked our camper, and I started to use Fresh Cab, and now I use my wife's soap and herbal oils to make my own and just keep refreshing the Fresh Cab packets. Haven't seen a sign of them since.

I keep one under the bathroom counter, one in pantry, one in the A/C intake just sitting on top of the filter, and one in the front storage compartment.

About once a month, I add a small squirt to each packet to renew them. I recently made 4 ounces of the oil mixture, put it in a small spray bottle, and spray directly onto the packets.
This sounds interesting - what oils are you mixing together to make the spray? How many ounces of each oil?
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #11

we took the advice of some very experienced campers.

here's the advice we were given: large bottle of peppermint oil,

new box of small plastic bags (100 count is good) bag of cotton balls.

Sprinkle several drops on 2 or 3 cotton balls put in plastic bags, cut 2

small slits at bottom of bag, put one in each drawer or cabinet along

with a dryer sheet. close all doors and drawers. we went to the trailer

last week, DW says no sign of visitors.

Jim
Old 03-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #12

From their website...

What is Fresh Cab made from?

Fresh Cab is a natural blend of plant cellulose fiber (corn cobs) and essential oils of balsam fir, lavender, Spanish rosemary, cedar, orange, and lemon. This mixture is sold within breathable fabric pouches that can be placed or hung in areas you want to keep fresh and protected. Each pouch weighs about 2.5 oz.

I am allergic to cedar, so I skip that ingredient. The primary repellant is the balsam fir. Be sure you buy "Balsam Fir Needle Oil", as it grows in the US around Idaho and Montana. The other balsam oils you can find, and cheaper, are from Siberia, and do NOT repel mice, so you are just wasting that money.

I basically buy a big bottle (2 oz, I think) of balsam fir, dump it into the spray bottle. And pipette in a couple good sized squirts of all the other oils until I end up with about 4 oz of oil. It smells like Christmas!!! In fact, I am thinking about putting some in a smaller finger spray bottle to use as an "after the potty" spray or even a "poo-pourri" spray.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #13

The best way to find the openings is at night with a flashlight. One person crawling under, another inside probing with the light.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #14
IC2

Amazing!!

So many deterrent concoctions but so few willing to figure out how pests get into an RV. Plug the front 'doorways' then as a backup, add some of those mystery solutions just in case you missed a back 'door' or open 'window'