Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #29

Thank you all for your stories, encouragement, and inspiration. I have had a couple of setbacks, but have learned about a trigger each time. It does get easier, and I am dedicated to it. We'll get there, one step at a time.

Nhytefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Part of the process is recognizing and conquering the triggers. For me some of the triggers were coffee, beer, talking on the phone, after a meal and stressful situations. I can say with confidence that the only one that will still give me an urge to smoke is a stressful situation. But today, it's only an urge, not a full blown craving. I always keep a pack of chewing gum with me for that purpose.

Keep this thread handy and when you begin to get an urge to light up, start reading. There are a lot of people pulling for you as evidenced by the responses your OP has received. 28 at this time plus some 439 views. You can bet that a big percentage of those 439 views are people who are also thinking about quitting but haven't quite worked up the courage to do it. So while you may be doing this for yourself and your family, to a lesser extent, you are also doing this for them. They are reading this thread like it's a good mystery and rooting for the good guy to win. So as has already been said a few times, "Never quit quitting". If you slip up and give in to a craving, don't look at it as a setback. It's just another step in the process. Don't beat yourself up. It happens. Just don't lose sight of your ultimate objective and, above all, don't give up!

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #31

Hang in there and just maybe you sharing this journey with the forum can be a type of support group for you.

"A calm sea never made a skillful mariner"
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Good luck I did it in 2003 at the age of 62 and am glad I did it.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
I also quit in '03. After about a million tries... I finally did it. Used the patch and sure felt like rolling the dang thing up and smoking it a few times...

You can do this. 1 minute at a time while the nicotine fades in your system and you learn new coping mechanisms for things that trigger you.

I don't crave, but have thought about having one from time to time when I have a lot of emotional pain. They were little emotional pain killers for me. I have better coping skills now that I use though. the thoughts do sometime sneak in, still.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
I quit 8 weeks ago...You can do it! When you get the urge (and you will) just think of the money you're saving and ask yourself "why would I want to do that?" It has worked for me. Good luck and hang in there.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
As a reformed smoker I am the hardest critic on those that still do. Do not come to my house and attempt to smoke as I will send you outside and require you to police the butts. I can stop at a motel and smell the stink left behind by those that smoked in the room before me. I will return to the lobby and request another room. If none is available, it's down the road for me!
If it sounds like I am a hard A$$ about smoking that is a fact! After over 30 years without my smokes some of the damage caused by it is still evident in my body and I pay for it with COPD, heart failure, and more. My Dad died a terrible death because of it. He was unable to walk 100 feet without stopping for a rest. (No lung capacity) Yet there are those of us that will not learn because of others results! It took me nearly 10 years after he was gone to find the way! There may be millions of smokers on this planet and about as many ways that work in quitting. I am supporting you in your sucessful attempt and hope you will find the way that works for you. If you don't, don't come to my house, because you stink!
Just thought I would voice another opinion.
I must of quit a thousand times. The last one was over 30 years ago. I have little doubt that for every day goes by I will have another available for me to enjoy my beautiful grandkids! My dad did not have that luxury!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
As a reformed smoker I am the hardest critic on those that still do. Do not come to my house and attempt to smoke as I will send you outside and require you to police the butts. I can stop at a motel and smell the stink left behind by those that smoked in the room before me. I will return to the lobby and request another room. If none is available, it's down the road for me!
If it sounds like I am a hard A$$ about smoking that is a fact! After over 30 years without my smokes some of the damage caused by it is still evident in my body and I pay for it with COPD, heart failure, and more. My Dad died a terrible death because of it. He was unable to walk 100 feet without stopping for a rest. (No lung capacity) Yet there are those of us that will not learn because of others results! It took me nearly 10 years after he was gone to find the way! There may be millions of smokers on this planet and about as many ways that work in quitting. I am supporting you in your sucessful attempt and hope you will find the way that works for you. If you don't, don't come to my house, because you stink!
Just thought I would voice another opinion.
I must of quit a thousand times. The last one was over 30 years ago. I have little doubt that for every day goes by I will have another available for me to enjoy my beautiful grandkids! My dad did not have that luxury!
Thanks for your support!
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #37

Made some adjustments to personal habits this weekend, making progress. 38 hours now, *no* residue (empty packs, butts, etc) left around the house. Acquired some different hard candy for craving moderation, much better now.

I've found that the sharper and more intense the flavor I use during a craving, the less easier the craving is to endure. So, lemonheads, peppermints, and five-flavor lifesavers it is.

We're getting there - day by day by day. The response to this thread (both in comments, views, and support) has been outstanding, and I can't thank ya'll enough. If my journey does inspire others, I hope to return the favor of supporting them.

Thank you all!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I gave up the 3 pack a day habit years ago.

It was not only a physical habit but was also a psychological habit. Every thing I did was associated with a cigarette. Breaking the psychological habit was maybe even harder.

A few things that helped me during the hardest times was to always have a tooth pick handy so I could reach for it to occupy my hands.

When the urge really got bad I would do some deep breathing, and if that didn't work, I would run in place for a few steps until I was breathing pretty hard.

The urge has never come back

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Keep it going Nhytefall. Onr step, then another, and another....... You will be VERY glad you tried and succeeded. Keep up the good work.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhytefall View Post
Made some adjustments to personal habits this weekend, making progress. 38 hours now, *no* residue (empty packs, butts, etc) left around the house. Acquired some different hard candy for craving moderation, much better now.

I've found that the sharper and more intense the flavor I use during a craving, the less easier the craving is to endure. So, lemonheads, peppermints, and five-flavor lifesavers it is.

We're getting there - day by day by day. The response to this thread (both in comments, views, and support) has been outstanding, and I can't thank ya'll enough. If my journey does inspire others, I hope to return the favor of supporting them.

Thank you all!
Smoking addiction is a double whammy. It is a psycological addiction, and it's a physical addiction too. The psycological addiction involves the act of smoking; the ritual purchase of the smokes, the removal of the cellophane, the lighting up, the feel of the smoke in your fingers, the flick of the ashes, etc.

The physical addiction is the dependance on the drug, nicotine. I don't know what it does, but I do know that it is very, very addictive. On the order of heroin and other hard narcotics. It's bigger than you while it has you in its grip. You can wear it down, though, if you don't give in.

I found that it was easiest for me to focus on the psycological addiction, which is really just behavior modification. Once I did that, the physical addiction withered and died.

Remember, it takes about THREE WEEKS for the psycological addiction to subside. In the meantime, you have to find things to do with your hands to fill the void.

The physical addiciton is different is different folks. Like I said before, 28 years later and I still have the craving sometimes, though I'm bigger than it is now, and it's easy to push aside.

You OWE this to the people who love you. You don't want them to have to watch you die a horrible, premature death from something you could have prevented.

Hang in there, we're pulling for you.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I quit in 1978 when I started a career that lasted 32 years. We weren't allowed to smoke in front of the CRTs (known now as computer monitors), the cigs got me nothing but a cough so what the heck, I quit. Not as easy as it sounds is it? My buddies all said "a couple of beers and you will be right back. Turned out the beers didn't bother me near as much as coffee. Almost had to give up the coffee.

Now days we know much more about the evils of smoking so you are doing yourself and everyone around you a huge favor by quitting and you can do it.

It is a win not just for health issues but for your wallet too. I don't know what a pack costs in your neck of the woods but here in NY they are in the $5 range. You can trade smoking for a new car at that rate.

Best of luck with a difficult but doable task.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #42

Well, update time, and I have good news: I made it all the way through work today without lighting up. This is a first, but the first of many.

From what I understand, nicotine is completely processed out of the body at 72 hours. The physical cravings gradually lessen in intensity over the next 72 hours. Finally, the psychological cravings lessen off at 21 days.

I can do this, and I will do this.

Current hour count: ~52. 3/4 of the way to complete removal. 1/3 of the way to ending the physical addiction, and 10% of the way to a new tattoo.