Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #57

Smile Bacon Bits

Bacon Bits

Travis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I may have been mistaken. I thought folks actually purchased, cooked, drove miles to obtain to consume, season with and otherwise enjoy mass quantities of thick, thin, lean, fatty, name brand, off brand, and boutique versions of delectable bacon... appears we mostly talk of it and post pictures from the internet..

Tip of the hat to those who posted actual pictures of the meaty, smokey goodness we call bacon!!

Guess I will just go online and look for some mail order...
Attached Images

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #59
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis101 View Post

Bacon Bits

Travis
They look delicious!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #60

Speaking of online bacon, Princess Cruise Line is starting a range of chocolate drinks, including these:

"Chocolate Drink Menu – Experience exquisite chocolate cocktails featuring extraordinary blends of distinctive ingredients — including a chocolate chili margarita, a chocolate salted caramel rum shake, and a chocolate bacon bourbon special."

Didja catch that last one? Dunno about the choco stuff, but any good bacon app should help you infuse your own bourbon. If you've a mind to, that is. Might ruin both of 'em.

Cheers, and down the hatch!
Sue
Old 08-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #61

So am I another thread killer??? C'mon, bacon lovers!

Has anyone seen the recipe called Bacon Crack? As in addictive. Don't know about that? YMMV!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #62
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I am so bummed out. I just got back from a 3 day work trip and my wife & I drove over to my favorite butcher shop to get smoked pork chops & smoked bacon. They slice it as thick as you want right in front of you. It's a little German place that is 5 star rated. It was closed, permanently, after 58 years.

So we went to Fresh Market up here and they had smoked bacon, but not quite as thick, so we will see how it cooks up tomorrow. And I'll have to search for another place to get those pork chops. This is why I hate change.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #63

Need to start the kids early!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smithfield is now a Chinese owned company, my Bacon and Ham choice for years, now on my "do not buy list".
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Smithfield is now a Chinese owned company, my Bacon and Ham choice for years, now on my "do not buy list".
I love Chinese food - and I love bacon. As long as I don't feel hungry an hour after eating the bacon I wouldn't say no to a big plate of their bacon.

I have no idea why or when the company was sold - but I suppose if the 58 year run of the German butcher shop Larry referred to above could have continued under another owner from any where - if the quality were maintained - isn't it better to be open selling chops and bacon than be out of business (rhetorical question)? I may not like the global economy but I want my bacon!

Ah the politics of pork products. I knew bacon was close to, if not a religion for some of us - but the politics has taken me by surprise. 😀 🐖🐷🐽
Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
So am I another thread killer??? C'mon, bacon lovers!

Has anyone seen the recipe called Bacon Crack? As in addictive. Don't know about that? YMMV!
There is good YouTube of making the bacon crack with sheet crescent roll dough - maple syrup - brown sugar and of course - Bacon... it does look tasty. If we do another Great Bacon Challenge Contest at our next gathering... I may have to give that a whirl....
Old 08-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
There is good YouTube of making the bacon crack with sheet crescent roll dough - maple syrup - brown sugar and of course - Bacon... it does look tasty. If we do another Great Bacon Challenge Contest at our next gathering... I may have to give that a whirl....

Those were my thoughts exactly, but be sure you try it out first. I was very careful and still was less than addicted. (Not to mention the non-GF aspect.)

I'll do something else for the next cook off and give you free rein with the Crack. No competition there from me!

How about that bacon-infused bourbon? Or similar with Kahlua? Now the latter might make a convert of me; not so sure on the bourbon.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #68
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I have no idea why or when the company was sold - but I suppose if the 58 year run of the German butcher shop Larry referred to above could have continued under another owner from any where - if the quality were maintained - isn't it better to be open selling chops and bacon than be out of business (rhetorical question)? I may not like the global economy but I want my bacon!
It was on a 75 acre tract of farmland in the very desirable suburbs. With the resurgent housing industry, it didn't stand a chance against a developer with cash.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Those were my thoughts exactly, but be sure you try it out first. I was very careful and still was less than addicted. (Not to mention the non-GF aspect.)

I'll do something else for the next cook off and give you free rein with the Crack. No competition there from me!

How about that bacon-infused bourbon? Or similar with Kahlua? Now the latter might make a convert of me; not so sure on the bourbon.
I have not tried to infuse my bourbon.... afraid to experiment on it... but it does sound like it would be good. I have done peppers in vodka - for Bloody Mary's. That was a no brainer. I may try do bacon vodka with jalapeño as a trial run. The bacon in the Bloody Mary at Outback didn't really do much for it. But then again - I never turn down bacon. I think an infusion would be better than just sticking a couple pieces of bacon in the glass.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #70
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had bacon infused Vodka, and it does work because the Vodka is so bland on it's own. I'm not sure how it would work with the much stronger taste of Bourbon, but it seems to be worth a try. I'll have to wiki how to do it.