Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #421

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Last Sunday I stopped at the Pilot at exit 22 I-80 in Indiana and decided to see if the pump start feature would work even though the instructions on page one of this thread says it will not work in Indiana. I verified that it will not work in Indiana.

Today I stopped at exit 179 I-80 in North Platte, NE at the FJ, and the process worked like a charm.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #422
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last week I stopped at a Pilot in Eagleville, MO (or around there) and the FJ card started the pump. When I went inside I had the manager assisting me behind the register. She told me that my card was for the RV pump out front and would not work for the discount/points at the truck pumps. This is the first time in over 4000 miles that this situation came up. Further down the road, we stopped again at a FJ and as always, used the truck lanes. I had no problem using the card.

I wonder if my situation at the first station is just a function of "station policy."

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #423

Alpine Owners Club
I encountered the same situation at the Flying J in Barstow, CA. I had used my card there about 2 months ago and it worked fine at the truck pumps. This time it did not work, and the "manager" said that "Headquarters" told them that the discount should only be available at the RV pumps, not at the truck pumps. Makes no sense...do they have any idea how much longer it would take to fill a 100+ gallon diesel tank with the small nozzles at the RV pumps!?!?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #424

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wayne M,
Can you provide a bit more information? I was not able to determine which station you stopped at.

1. What was the credit price?
2. What was the cash price?
3. What price did you pay.

The reason I ask is that at corporate owned locations, the pump start feature, cash price and discount are locked together.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #425

Commercial Member

Send a message via Skype™ to LynsayPFJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Last week I stopped at a Pilot in Eagleville, MO (or around there) and the FJ card started the pump. When I went inside I had the manager assisting me behind the register. She told me that my card was for the RV pump out front and would not work for the discount/points at the truck pumps. This is the first time in over 4000 miles that this situation came up. Further down the road, we stopped again at a FJ and as always, used the truck lanes. I had no problem using the card.

I wonder if my situation at the first station is just a function of "station policy."
Hi Wayne - I am sorry about this. The manager was incorrect. The RV cards do work at the truck pumps and there aren't any "station policies." Except that some Flying J locations are not owned/operated by Pilot Flying J and discounts aren't always available there. Those locations are listed in the RV travel guide if you have one or you can view from the RV Home page on our website at www dot pilotflyingj dot com. (Sorry, I don't think I'm allowed to post websites here.)

I will speak with our loyalty manager in charge of training to be sure that everyone at the support center as well as at the stores is aware of this. Again, extremely sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if I can help with anything else in the future.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #426
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oops! My bad. I gave the wrong location. After confering with the "navigator," it was the Pilot:

Address: 2411 US Hwy 18 E
City: Clear Lake
State: IA

Gary, Sorry, but my credit card price was $3.95 + a few Mils. And it was on Jul 23, 2011.

LinsayPFJ,
I was in the truck lane, swiped the FJ card and got approved to pump fuel. When I went in she asked for my card again, and she was the manager. She swiped it 3 times and said that she could not get it to work, that I would need a corporate "blue" card to use the truck lanes. She also showed me a light orange card and said that was the card for the "RV" lane.

My next stop was in Clinton, MO, at a Flying J. Again I used the truck lanes, swiped the FJ card, got approved and pumped fuel. This time when I went in the card would not work for a discount at the register. The cashier called back to someone, and gave me back $1.16 in cash. So I'm not sure what's going on between the outside approval method, and the inside cashiers unless it is a computer program problem.

Thanks for you help, and thanks to PFJ for the RV value rewards. Every little bit counts now-a-days.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #427

Newmar Owners Club
Today I filled up at the Pilot station in St. Cloud, MN. I used the truck pumps and the process worked as advertised. Got the cash price and discount, using my AMEX card.

There was a surprise. The kiosk for accessing the pumps and swiping one's loyalty card is on the driver's side. The master pump is on the passenger side? I have never seen this before.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #428

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wayne M,
When using the truck pumps and the pump start feature is activated the price on the pump should drop to reflect the cash price and discount. This is why (as mentioned in post #1) it is important for a customer to notice the credit price at the pump. Then, after completing the pump start process, notice the new, lower price at the pump.

When paying for fuel, it matters not what the cashier does with your PFJ card. The transaction was closed when you returned to fueling nozzle to the pump. The receipt will show the same lower price you saw at the pump.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #429

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
LynsayPFJ,
What is your preferred method of operation when a situation arrises that a station manager might need to be "retrained" on the RV Frequent Fueler Advantage program? Seems like most of the issues in this thread have come out of a misunderstanding by either the customer or possibly a PFJ employee.

Is there possibly a standard response, phone number or PFJ contact that a customer could "SUGGEST" to the station manager for mediation on the spot and at the time of sale?
Just a thought.

Thank you for your attention and thank you for the Frequent Fueler Advantage program.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #430
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm sorry, but at the truck pumps the only thing I have noticed showing is the dollar value as the fuel is being pumped, cumulatively, and the gallons, cumulatively. I don't see the price per gallon. Hmmm! Maybe I'm just not looking for it - or is what I stated the only thing showing. I do notice the marquee at the entrance that give credit and cash price.

The only place I had a problem was in MO. All previous times, and all subsequent times I have not had a problem with the PFJ Frequent Fueler card. It works as advertised. It was just at these two locations that I could activate the pump, get approved, pump fuel, go inside and there was a problem at the register. I think their first question is "Truck number," and my reply is "Private, or RV" Then the fun began.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 AM   #431

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Other services at Flying J

What the procedure for using the dump station and propane filling station with the RV card.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #432

The only thing I can think of when reading the moderator's first post is "holy crap!". Too hard, too much to think of, will buy fuel elsewhere.

Seems to me it's just software, and could/should be made to work at any pump, any station, where the state has not made it illegal to do, and that those locations the pump could tell the buyer that "the state of xxx has ruled that we cannot offer this service"

That takes the training of the individual station people out of the equation, along with a host of other potential issues. The first principal of quality management is to keep the process simple.....
Old 07-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #433

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Actually the process is simple. You pull in and swipe your loyalty card and the pump starts. Pump the fuel then go inside and pay for your fuel. Done.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #434

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
Actually the process is simple. You pull in and swipe your loyalty card and the pump starts. Pump the fuel then go inside and pay for your fuel. Done.
Or, at the RV lanes, swipe your CC, swipe your loyalty card and pump your gas. Fail to see the difficulty in either procedure, but some people seem to make mountains out of mole hills.

Closed Thread