Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #575

I got my card signed up at a local store. My pump status on my account says "pump start".

Am I ready to use it? Do I have to go into the cashier again when I do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #576

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Hummmm! Everyone else are getting 3 discount on Diesel.
Even at the OTR pumps.

At all of the Flying J's I have been at as a Fulltimer for 12 years.
I have never seen a 40'-42' RV with toad, have a need to unhook their toad to get in & out of a RV Island.

How many have you seen that needed to do that?
Maybe Pilot/Flying J needs to get emails from all the ones that are too big for the RV Islands.

By the way the RV Islands are never slick. And always have clean towels with a long windshield cleaner stick
Mea culpa, the discount is 3 cents and we do get it at MOST Pilot OTR pumps. However, try some Pilots in MT and you will be told that the discount is only available in the RV lanes. There are also some Pilots that are not listed in the RV guide and which, apparently, won't provide any discounts (at least according to what Pilot has told me).

As for whether or not we could get through the auto/RV lanes, I honestly don't care. The truck lanes are always easy to get through and easy is better as far as I'm concerned. Even if there were no discount on the OTR lanes, IMHO the <$2 discount on 60 gallons isn't worth even worrying about the issue. If you like the challenge of going through the RV pumps that is your prerogative; try the Pilot in Cambridge OH if you want one that is even a bit tight for the OTR pumps.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #577

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
As full-timers we've refueled at a lot of Pilot/Flying J's over the past year. We always fuel at the OTR pumps; it isn't worth our time to explore whether or not we could get in the RV/auto lanes. Getting a 2 cent discount on 60 gallons isn't worth the inconvenience of getting stuck and/or having to disconnect the toad.
Docj, if you are referring to my post with the $.02 discount, that is for gas not diesel. Also my MH is 5' shorter than yours & I am usually towing a 21' trailer with kayaks & bikes on it. I have never had a problem manuevering my rig at a Pilot or Flying J's auto/rv lanes. However I've been told I could put a 50' rig into a 35' space with room to spare. Some of the vehicles I drive/tow have a 100'+ wingspan & length of 150' & we manuever them into places most people wouldn't believe.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #578

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BarbRN,
Once your card is registered there is no need to go to the cashier to start the pump. However, the Pump Start feature is for the truck pumps (diesel). One has always been able to start the pumps at the auto/RV pumps. Go to Pilot Flying J . On that page are fueling instructions for the different pumps, depending on the fuel one uses. It is important one follows the instructions to obtain the benefits of the frequent fueler program.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 10-23-2011, 05:09 AM   #579

Newmar Owners Club
Hi PJGMG,
Ref post 573. Your are correct, I tried to change this on my account. It saved the change the first time, but when I signed out and then back in again the change was not there. Gut feel says the changes are in a batch run and not real time. I'll send an email to PFJ and get the answer.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #580

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Mea culpa, the discount is 3 cents and we do get it at MOST Pilot OTR pumps. However, try some Pilots in MT and you will be told that the discount is only available in the RV lanes. There are also some Pilots that are not listed in the RV guide and which, apparently, won't provide any discounts (at least according to what Pilot has told me).

As for whether or not we could get through the auto/RV lanes, I honestly don't care. The truck lanes are always easy to get through and easy is better as far as I'm concerned. Even if there were no discount on the OTR lanes, IMHO the <$2 discount on 60 gallons isn't worth even worrying about the issue. If you like the challenge of going through the RV pumps that is your prerogative; try the Pilot in Cambridge OH if you want one that is even a bit tight for the OTR pumps.
GaryKD didn't correct your #576 post about Pilots in MT.
Non of them give discounts on the RV card. And Non are listed in the RV Guide.
Only one listed Flying J in the state of MT gives a RV card discount.

Pilot told you right. If the station isn't listed in the RV Guide don't expect to get a pump start or discount there.

Discount on 60 gal of diesel will only be $1.80 at the stations listed in the RV Guide.

The station at Cambridge, OH is a Pilot and in the RV Guide they don't have a RV Island to use. They do have 5 drive through Truck Lanes.
If the RV Guide has no RV Lanes listed then most would assume to use the Truck Lanes at those locations.

Also I don't care if you use the Truck lanes at any Pilot/Flying J. As that makes the lines shorter at the Clean non slippery RV Islands and no need for me to carry special shoes to put on/off and store.

Download the RV Guide or Print it off to use, so you will never be disappointed on what you get at any Pilot/Flying J

Even with my 5' shorter then yours MH/toad.
Getting in and out of the many Murphy's this summer wasn't even a challenge.
They are giving a 10 discount gas/diesel using a Gift card. That is $6 for 60 gal.

I'm sure I won't be behind you at a Murphy's as they don't have special lanes for Trucks.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #581

Winnebago Owners Club
Docj, I see you posted about the $.03 while I was writing & posting about the $.02. I started the post then got busy & came back & finished it without looking back for any new posts.
In my opinion the discount isn't the big draw to the PFJ, it just helps. I will stop at almost any other service station that has a good price & easy access in & out. But what I do like about the PFJ is I can plan my trip in advance. My DW is usually driving her own car & it helps to have a plan.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #582

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Docj, I see you posted about the $.03 while I was writing & posting about the $.02. I started the post then got busy & came back & finished it without looking back for any new posts.
In my opinion the discount isn't the big draw to the PFJ, it just helps. I will stop at almost any other service station that has a good price & easy access in & out. But what I do like about the PFJ is I can plan my trip in advance. My DW is usually driving her own car & it helps to have a plan.
I agree that having a plan is useful. If you haven't yet tried them, there are several free apps for smartphones that locate truckstops (and rest stops). There are also some online, but we find the phone easier when we are traveling.

Although we drive together we use these apps to plan when we "rotate" drivers. It's nice to be able to say "there's a Pilot (T/A, Petro, etc) at Exit XXX, let's get off there." We try to use the major truck stops if we can, but these apps list independents and others. They're very useful when we're off the interstates where truck-capable fueling places can be few and far between.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #583

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
At all of the Flying J's I have been at as a Fulltimer for 12 years.
I have never seen a 40'-42' RV with toad, have a need to unhook their toad to get in & out of a RV Island. By the way the RV Islands are never slick. And always have clean towels with a long windshield cleaner stick
Triker56, thanks for your feedback. I do not dispute your observations, with 12 yrs under your belt as a FT'r and my measley 14 mos it has happened to me twice. It was more the CARS and people double paring w/o regard for others. BTW at the same Flying J station here in Haw River, NC. YES I agree NO oil slicks in the RV islands.

Again, thank you for your input..
Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #584

Just an update of my recent experience.

Van Horn, Texas. Pilot. Went to the truck pumps. Swiped my Pilot/Flying J card, pump came on, filled up. Went inside to pay with cash, received $0.09 per gallon discount.

Happy Camper.

Don
Old 10-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #585

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I tried to sign up for a Pilot/Flying J Rver discount card on line. It asked for me to sign in. Well I need an account and password. Tried following the instructions and here I sit. Got nowhere. Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #586

Alpine Owners Club
Did you pick up a card at a PFJ before trying to register?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #587

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Just an update of my recent experience.

Van Horn, Texas. Pilot. Went to the truck pumps. Swiped my Pilot/Flying J card, pump came on, filled up. Went inside to pay with cash, received $0.09 per gallon discount.

Happy Camper.

Don
Don, $.09 per gallon...truly awesome.. Is that just a special for Van Horn Tx. because you used CA$H ?

Tahnks
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #588

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi PJGMG,
Ref post 573. Your are correct, I tried to change this on my account. It saved the change the first time, but when I signed out and then back in again the change was not there. Gut feel says the changes are in a batch run and not real time. I'll send an email to PFJ and get the answer.
Gary, thanks for going the extra mile.. It sounds like you have an IT background "BATCH RUN"...

Closed Thread