Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #631

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I lifted this commentary from another blog today:

"Then just south of Bowling Green, KY we stopped for diesel at a Flying J. Pulling into the RV diesel pumps I was happy to see a sticker on the pump saying that if you used a MasterCard you could pump $100 in one transaction, and if you used a Visa Card you could pump up to $495 in one transaction.
Great! No more having to go inside and stand in line. So I used my Visa Card, and my Flying J RV card, and started the pump.
Which almost immediately stopped at $75. Huh?
So it was off inside, where I stood in line, and when I asked about the $495 sticker, the young woman (blonde) said, ‘Oh, we don’t know anything about those stickers, or who put them there. People just keep asking us. But all the pumps stop at $75 no matter what card you use.”
Later checking on the Pilot-Flying J website, it also says you can pump $495 on a Visa Card.
What we have here is a failure to communicate.

This is my problem with Pilot/Flying J. They want us to fuel at their stations but it is up to us to deal with the problems they are having in giving the discount and getting the fuel to start and getting the higher VISA limit. This is a stupid way to run a business! Several people on this site are avid supporters of FJ in spite of this. I don't understand it. Who would continue to shop at Wal Mart if you could only run your VISA for $75 at one store and several hundred dollars at another store? What if the store help acted as dumb as the above quote? Why should we put up with this at FJ? Flying J is attractive to some because some stations have a RV lane and those with diesel can use the truck lanes and this is handy. However many other FJ stations do not have a RV lane and the car lanes are not set up to allow RVs to get in and out easily. On top of that is the fact that we have to have a printed directory to know which stations honor the discount. What's up with that?? I can't just see a FJ sign and go in and know I am going to get the discount. This is not the way to run a business and be successful! You can tell that there is a problem with this company when this thread has well over 600 posts to it by people complaining (and supporting) them. I just can't understand why people put up with this.
Amen to that. I would not, risk the chance of a Headache for the hassel it takes to fuel my tank, for 3 cents per gal.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #632

I complete agree. I quit using FJ (I never did use Pilot) as my primary fuel source almost 2 years ago. Beside the fueling card debacle, their prices are through the roof and I can usually save much more by fueling at a local station. We just plan things a bit differently so we can plan to fuel when we are not towing (going into or out of a camping destination in most cases). We still use FJ when we must but I simply can't support the foolishness of this business.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #633

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Made a run to Kinder La. last week from San Antonio TX. Gas prices encountered for regular were $3.09-$3.19 along the way. FJ was advertising $3.79 cash discount price on signs. Not even close-------

Best,

ruppr
Old 11-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #634

Flying J

Frankly, I do look for the cheapest price but I also look for easy of entry and exit and would put that ahead of price.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #635

The $3.79 price was for diesel, not gas.

However, Flying J has a long history of sudden and capricious policy changes. In just a few years, the abandoned the most common form of payment for truck fuel twice, supposedly due to the fee being charged but to the truckers' minds in an attempt to force the trucking companies to use Flying J's own fuel payment system. This would be akin to Wal-Mart suddenly announcing that effective the end of this month, they would no longer accept MasterCard or Visa.

I'm not saying that's going to happen again, but so far as I know, most of the long-time management at FJ is still there.

They were also sued for advertising the cash price on fuel, without making it clear that that was what was on their signs. They lost and had to refund the fees (through discounted fuel).

Now...I'm not saying that Flying J is going to suddenly stop accepting any card but their own captive in-house card...but if you think they don't look at those credit card fees with jealous eyes, think again.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #636

To those most loyal customers of flying J ; the emperor has no clothes on!!!! Flying J has raised their prices and the discount doesnt even bring them in line with their competitors. Its a fraud ; sorry to break the news.
Gotta give them credit though for excellent marketing , making you think your getting a discount.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #637
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
Frankly, I do look for the cheapest price but I also look for easy of entry and exit and would put that ahead of price.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 11-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #638

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Yesterday I filled up at a Pilot in GA. I put my Frequent Fueler card into the reader at one of the truck lanes and it verified that I had pump start approval. However, when I pushed "Continue" it told me to "See the Cashier". I completed the transaction inside but, of course, I didn't get my discount and was charged the credit price. I have sent an email to Pilot with all the details, but I was wondering if anyone had an idea why this happened. Online my card appears to be Ok.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #639

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Now...I'm not saying that Flying J is going to suddenly stop accepting any card but their own captive in-house card...but if you think they don't look at those credit card fees with jealous eyes, think again.
When Pilot bought out Flying J in a bankruptcy. It didn't buy Flying J's bank.
And all Flying J's CC, ceased getting the discount at all Pilot/Flying J stations using them.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #640
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It seems that there is a wide range of mixed emotions when it comes to PFJ, and that is to be expected. However, how many other truck stops have implemented steps to try and save the traveler a few pennies and advertise as much. Not many. Also, in my opinion, there is a need to go back and read post #1 regarding what was trying to be said on "a program" in this thread. Oh, and please, please read post #2. LindsayPFJ was so nice in coming aboard, introducing herself and then being bash by many members, well her company was. No wonder she is not around anymore. To much negativism directed her way.

Maybe we should start some individual threads with titles, "What programs are offered by:"

Loves
Travel America
Petro

And the List Goes On

I'm not trying to offend anyone with this post, more that I am trying to point out that if someone does not like a fuel stop of any name, brand, or for any reason, well, there are alternatives for fuel that can be obtained. The bashing and bashing of a nature like this is just not like RV enthusiasts to do.

Oh, and before I started using PFJ I was a diehard, like to stop at, Loves fan. I like their sign.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #641

Newmar Owners Club
Filled up yesterday at the J at I95 exit 131 in Ft. Pierce, Florida. Used the truck pumps. Everything worked as advertised.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 11-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #642

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Doug Sage,
I've seen the pump signage mentioned in your post (630). Since I use a different CC, I never tried to pay at the pump when at the truck pumps. I've passed your post on to PFJ and asked them to provide the correct instructions to RV Frequent Fuelers. As it is now, the signage can be confusing.

If you follow the instructions in post #1 you'll find the program works as advertised (in post #1). I fill up without hitting a cutoff. The CC cut off at the truck pumps is mentioned in post #1. This does mean one will need to go into the store to pay for fuel after filling the tank.

Paying with a CC at the truck pumps is a new twist. Let's wait and see what PFJ's answer is.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #643

Newmar Owners Club
To those continuing to post about PFJ pricing, this thread is about those wanting help with the PFJ Frequent Fueler Program. It would be a courtesy if those members would start another thread on the PFJ topic of their choice. This allows those wanting assistance with the Frequent Fueler Program to find this information without having to sort through the off topic posts.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #644

PFJ

Just wanted to share what happened last week. In Pa. we have state vehicle Inspections. My motor home was due this month. So made appointment for inspection, got it inspected and thought I would go top off. Went up town, where a week before fuel was $3.95.9. But it now was 4.09.9. I though, " man, I'm not going to pay that!" So drove up to PFJ, 14 miles North, to fuel and give the motor home a little exercise, been sitting all summer and fall. Got up there, $4.09 also, but got the discount, everything worked fine, (only saved $1.76, big deal, most likely cost me more to drive up and back in fuel!).
Anyway, the very day my cousin told me that he fueled up at Sam's Club for $3.83.9! which is 40 round trip for me. The point being, if Sam's can charge that amount for fuel and make a profit, PFJ, is really making a killing on what they are charging!