Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #645

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
Just wanted to share what happened last week. In Pa. we have state vehicle Inspections. My motor home was due this month. So made appointment for inspection, got it inspected and thought I would go top off. Went up town, where a week before fuel was $3.95.9. But it now was 4.09.9. I though, " man, I'm not going to pay that!" So drove up to PFJ, 14 miles North, to fuel and give the motor home a little exercise, been sitting all summer and fall. Got up there, $4.09 also, but got the discount, everything worked fine, (only saved $1.76, big deal, most likely cost me more to drive up and back in fuel!).
Anyway, the very day my cousin told me that he fueled up at Sam's Club for $3.83.9! which is 40 round trip for me. The point being, if Sam's can charge that amount for fuel and make a profit, PFJ, is really making a killing on what they are charging!
Your statement about profit may not necessarily be true.

PFJ probably has higher operating costs (per gallon of fuel sold) as their major product sales are fuel. This would require higher costs per gallon to maintain their margin as they probably don't generate any significant amount of sales from additional merchandise. Sam's club has the ability to cover operating costs from in store merchandise sales allowing them to discount fuel sales. I would venture to say Sam's fuel sales are a fraction of their total sales, where fuel sales would be the major portion of PFJ's sales.

It's also possible that Sam's is buying their fuel at a lower cost.

Look both business up online and look for EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization) numbers not profit. EBITDA is the truest way to compare 2 businesses.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #646

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The last couple of times I purchased diesel or gas from a Flying J, I thought that I did not get the discount because it did not show a credit on the receipt. But what happened is that the original Cash price shown on the pump dropped by a few cents to indicate the discounted price. What now shows up on the receipt is the discounted price rather than a discount.

The only issue I have with Flying J is that at the RV pumps, the pumps shut off at $50, $75, or $100 depending on which cc you use. I wish you could fill it up without having to enter your cc and Flying J card multiple times.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #647
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Several of the previous posts have been .

Let's stay on topic.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #648

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Pay at pump AND Frequent Fueler Discount?

I was at a Flying J in Florida yesterday in the truck lanes and noticed (after I had already used Pump Start) that I could now use VISA (but not the other cards) for pay at the pump with a $495 limit. I don't know how widespread this is yet or how it affects the RV discount (if it does), but it would be nice to be able to complete the entire transaction without a trip inside.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #649

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Went to my local PFJ (I-85 Exit 150, Haw River, NC) last weekend when I was winterizing my coach. I wanted to dump my tanks, fill up with fresh fuel, check the air in tires, etc.

They had installed a keycode combination lock on the dump. No problem, went in to pay and get a code. The nice girl behind the counter asked me if I had a FF card yet. I said, no. She got a new card out, swiped it, knocked off $5 from the dump fee (usually $10). I swiped it in the pump, got the discount on my fuel. Got a discount filling my LP tank. All no problems, and immediate. Didn't even need to register, or anything.

I've had mixed experiences with "the flying hook" in my travels. This particular one is a gem. They have my business EVERY time I can give it to them, even if their price is a few cents more.

Oh, and the guys at the Blue Beacon across the street do a fantastic job washing my rig... They're always extra gentle on my aging graphics. $32 last time.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #650

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree, especially with a PenFed credit card. I would like to see all Flying J like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I was at a Flying J in Florida yesterday in the truck lanes and noticed (after I had already used Pump Start) that I could now use VISA (but not the other cards) for pay at the pump with a $495 limit. I don't know how widespread this is yet or how it affects the RV discount (if it does), but it would be nice to be able to complete the entire transaction without a trip inside.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #651

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Went to my local PFJ (I-85 Exit 150, Haw River, NC) last weekend when I was winterizing my coach. I wanted to dump my tanks, fill up with fresh fuel, check the air in tires, etc.

They had installed a keycode combination lock on the dump. No problem, went in to pay and get a code. The nice girl behind the counter asked me if I had a FF card yet. I said, no. She got a new card out, swiped it, knocked off $5 from the dump fee (usually $10). I swiped it in the pump, got the discount on my fuel. Got a discount filling my LP tank. All no problems, and immediate. Didn't even need to register, or anything.

I've had mixed experiences with "the flying hook" in my travels. This particular one is a gem. They have my business EVERY time I can give it to them, even if their price is a few cents more.

Oh, and the guys at the Blue Beacon across the street do a fantastic job washing my rig... They're always extra gentle on my aging graphics. $32 last time.

Ramblin, DITTO on my experiences there, I usually stop there when in route around NC. Always a good experience... They also have scales there.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #652

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Pay at pump--RV discount but not cash discount?

Today I used the VISA pay at pump feature for the first time at a truck pump (in Theodore AL). After swiping my VISA card, the pump instructed me to swipe my Frequent Fueler card which I did. When the sale was over, the receipt showed the 3 cent/gal RV discount, but the sale was run at the credit card price, even despite the fact that I used a VISA debit card.

I thought RVers were entitled to the 3 cent discount AND the cash price regardless of whether cash or plastic is used. Is this something that can't be done if we use pay at pump? If that's the case, I guess I'll have to decide if it is worth 6 cents/gal not to have to walk inside!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #653

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am currently on a trip (1st long one) and I picked up a FF Card in St George UT when I went by one in my toad, did not need fuel in the MH. 1st time I used the FF Card was in AZ and I received a $0.02 Discount (Was not expected because I had read here no Discount in AZ), not a big deal, but nice never the less and it was a good experience.

TodayI stopped at FJ #613 in Bakersfield, CA and was tickled to see an RV Pump, this was my 1st experience with a separate RV Lane (The place in AZ was just the last set of pumps on the car lanes with an RV sign) Price was ok, but when I inserted the FF Card the pump told me to see the cashier. (Oh yes the pump sign said $50 limit for Visa, $75 for MasterCard/Visa and $75 or $100 for others that I don't recall)

I had stopped to get the DW something to eat at the Subway, but thought why not top off the tank, as it was around half full and an RV LANE to boot. Then the Cashier required me to leave my FF Card and Visa card with them while I went back to fuel. Oh well, not a big deal, but after 5 minutes waiting for the pump to start I had to go back inside and ask when she was going to start the pump on the RV Island. Oh didn't it start? Dud, that was why I was back asking....
Well the pump started and it did go pass the $50 posted limit on the pump, but only with lots of starts and stops as the pump tripped. When I got tired of playing with the pump I quit and when inside and the woman with my card was gone and some guy was there. He found the cards on the register of the 1st woman I had talked to that did not know what to do when I told her the pump said to see the cashier (I was going to skip that part).

No I am not worried that they had my Visa Card as I keep a close eye on charges and Chase is great in my book when it comes to disputed charges. Anyway I got a $0.02 discount on my purchase and went back to my MH to depart and my gas gage says I got a whole 3/4 of a tank of gas. When I get back home next week I will report all to FJ as per post #1 but I am not unhappy with Pilot/Flying J, it is just one glitch that I am chalking up to one station and for now I will keep looking for PFJ when I need fuel in the future.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #654

Alpine Owners Club
Docj,
To get cash price plus discount at the truck pumps you do have to go inside.
Mochisme,
The RV Pump lane at the FJ south of Bakersfield is at a slope.having tried to fill up there twice, I can tell you it is not possible to get full at that pump.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #655

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Docj,
To get cash price plus discount at the truck pumps you do have to go inside.
Mochisme,
The RV Pump lane at the FJ south of Bakersfield is at a slope.having tried to fill up there twice, I can tell you it is not possible to get full at that pump.
Ah, that would explain it, but I never noticed a lean on the Motorhome, but I did have a few other things on my mind at the time. Thinking back, I think you can enter it from either direction, so if I am there again I will pull into the car area and enter the RV Island headed towards the road as there are pumps on both sides as I recall.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #656

Newmar Owners Club
Hi docj,
You might feel this is a dumb question, but things are changing fast at PFJ and I want to make sure I understand what you posted. In post 652, it was mentioned you felt your price/gallon was the credit price. Are you sure? After you entered all your cards and got pump start approval, the price at the pump should have displayed the cash price. That is the price you should have paid and then got the 3 cent/gallon deduction on your receipt.

I have sent emails to PFJ asking for clarification on the new pay at the truck pump discounts for FF RV card holders.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #657

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We stopped at the FJ at Jackson/Pearl MS on the 19th for diesel and LP. The card readers on the RV island were "messed up" according to the fuel desk, preventing me from using "pay at the pump". Because getting my PenFed Visa authorized inside would cost me my 5% CC discount, and because we were not hurting for fuel, we declined to refuel. We did get LP. About 5 minutes East we purchased $200 of diesel at a Raceway that was 15 cents per gallon cheaper than the FJ, AND I got my 5% "pay-at-the-pump" discount which gave me another 18 cents per gallon off.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #658

Newmar Owners Club
Hi AFChap,
This thread is for those needing help with the PFJ frequent fueler program. Do you need assistance with the PFJ Frequent Fueler Program?

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Closed Thread