Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #715

Tiffin Owners Club
Well said Gary. I think some folks need to go back and read post #1 as a refresher as to the purpose of this thread.

To those that simply want to post derogatory comments about PFJ, why not start a thread titled "Why I Dislike PFJ"? I'm sure you would get plenty of the responses without contaminating this thread.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #716
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I'm curious. To all those posters, in this thread, that feel the need to post all the reasons and methods not to use PFJ, why don't you start your own thread? Ask the moderators to pin it as a sticky. This thread was begun and maintained for the sole purpose of helping members who have questions or difficulties with the PFJ frequent fueler programs offered to RVers. Simple as that, no more or less.

Reverse the situation. How would you like it if you authored a thread on a topic only to have it polluted with posts not about the reason the thread exists. One could say, Gary don't read it if you don't like it. Well, for this thread that excuse for off topic posts doesn't work. I volunteer to help with this thread just like the many other volunteers that help keep this site a value to members. Having to read and sort through the pollution post wastes time and energy I could be using to help members in other threads.

I am asking for courtesy. Keep this thread as it was intended. If you have the urge to post about anything other than the original reason for this thread to exist, please start your own thread.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #717

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Gas Buddy prior to a trip for fuel stop planning. Here along the East Coast and Penna I find Flying Js prices right in there with the other local gas prices.
I agree with GaryKD - this thread is to pass along usefull user info. - and thank-you Gary for the work you've done providing info.
I looked at the Good Sam's RV credit card and I think I'll stick with my orange RV card - but It's nice to know of the other options. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Sorry, I thought this was about Flying J, the good, the bad and the ugly.
I think everyone is aware that gas prices differ by location. And as you've pointed out, PFJ's aren't generally more expensive than the other stations in a given location.

Now, if you were saying they were routinely 20 or 30 cents a gallon different than the station across the street, that'd be different. But what you are actually pointing out is that going off the beaten path can be cheaper, and that's fine, but it's far from a Flying J issue.

Steve
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #719

"Pay At The Pump" is available at all pumps, including truck diesel pumps, at all Pilot Flying J locations.

This is what Pilot/Flying J told me when I asked, by email, about how common pay at the pump was at their truck diesel pumps.

Does anyone have recent experience to the contrary?

The reason I am asking is I am wondering if there is any benefit to getting "Start The Pump" added to my Frequent Fueler card. I recently registered the card online at myrewards, but I have not taken the card inside a store to get "Start The Pump" added to it.

If I can start the pump by swiping my Visa credit card and Frequent Fueler card at the pump, what am I missing out on by not having "Start The Pump" feature?

How about the pump cutoff limit? Is that higher when using a Visa credit card and Frequent Fueler card (without "Start The Pump") at the truck diesel pumps?

Bottom line is I want to be able to fill up (up to 30 gallons) at the truck diesel pumps without the pump cutting off, pay at the pump with a Visa credit card, get the cash price and the discount.

FWIW, after I pull away from the pump and park, I will go inside and patronize the store. My desired procedure, above, makes it faster at the pump. But I do want my cc rebate (pay at pump only), cash price, discount, and higher pump cutoff limit.

Chris
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #720

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I've been using Pay at Pump lately because of the convenience, however, I have found that it is inconsistent with regard to applying the discounts. RVers are supposed to get the cash price minus 3 cents regardless of whether or not they use cash, credit or debit cards. However, with Pay at Pump I find that sometimes I get charged for the credit price less 3 cents regardless of whether I use a VISA or debit card. One time I went in to ask for a refund which the manager gave me out of the till; one time I emailed Pilot/Flying and they refunded it; and several times I didn't bother since you can't send an email to them unless you have the transaction details and I was too lazy to go inside to get a receipt.

Even if I get charged the credit price less 3 cents I still think the convenience of Pay at Pump is worth it. For the ~50 gallons I usually pump I'm not going to get all that upset by the extra ~$2.50 I may pay if I don't get the correct price. IMHO being able to get in and out of there faster without a trip to the counter is definitely worth it. As for pump cutoff limits I believe they are $495 using Pay at Pump; inside they are anything you request them to be.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #721

Newmar Owners Club
Hi racer4,
I know of no way to receive all the benefits mentioned in your post, at the truck diesel pumps.

At the truck pumps one can pay at the pump with a CC. One will be charged the credit price. The cut off limit is posted at the pump.

If one belongs to the RV Real Value Program (the original program) when fueling is complete, one must pay inside the store. Current member cards remain valid. This program is not being offered to new customers. This program is being merged into the My Rewards RV Customer Program. One receives pump start, no pump cut off and program discount. Cash price depends on the payment method.

If one belongs to the RV Plus program (Good Sam membership is required). One has purchases withdrawn from their bank account automatically each month. Go to Pilot RV Plus - Program Details for program details. One receives pump start, no pump cut off, cash price and program discount.

If one belongs to the My Rewards RV Customer program, once fueling is complete, one must go into the store to pay. One receives pump start, no pump cut off and program discount. The cash price will depend on the payment method. The benefits are a bit different than the RV Plus program. Go to myRewards - RV Customer for program details.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #722

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gary,
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I thought the myRewards program provided for the discount off cash price regardless of payment method or whether it was from the truck pumps or the auto/RV lanes. The only difference I was aware of was the requirement to pay inside if you used the truck pumps. I notice that the myRewards site no longer mentions cash price in conjunction with the discounts so did I misunderstand the program or did this change with the introduction of the Pilot RV Plus program?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #723

Newmar Owners Club
Hi David49,
I can not answer the question about why and when the change was made. You may be correct about the change being made coincident with the implementation of the RV Plus program (requires Good Sam membership). It may be part of making the two programs different from one another (market segmentation). I do know I wasn't paying attention when using the original RV Real Value Card. I discovered the change and called the PFJ help desk. They informed me of inclusion of the RV Real Value Program into the My Rewards RV Customer Program. I switched to the RV Plus program (also because of AMEX T/C changes).

The RV Real Value Card and the AMEX Cash Back Card were a very good deal. They both changed so the best deal for me is now the RV Plus Card.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #724

GaryKD,

Thank you for figuring all these details out and taking the time to help people like me understand it.

Based on your answer to my post and info at myRewards - Home I am making a chart to show the various details so I can try to get it right.

Here is one part that appears to have a discrepancy. I realize printed info on pfj's website may lag behind what is really happening. Regarding the posts immediately above by you and David49 about not getting the cash price and the discount when using the truck pumps, regardless of payment method, if paid inside ... I see the following in the FAQs:

"Even if you pay with a credit card inside you will still receive the cash price and $.03 discount."

The full paragraph at myRewards - FAQ
says "What is "Start The Pump" and how do I get it? "Start The Pump" allows you to start the truck diesel fuel pumps using your MyRewards RV card, Frequent Fueler Advantage RV Card, or your RV Real Value Card (if you are currently using one). All you have to do is register your card and "Start The Pump" at the truck diesel lanes will be available. Simply insert your card, fuel, finish and hang up nozzle, pull forward and park, then go inside and pay with a cash or credit card. Even if you pay with a credit card inside you will still receive the cash price and $.03 discount."

Is the FAQ info wrong regarding getting the cash price and the 3 cent discount when using the truck pumps and paid inside with a credit card?

Thanks again GaryKD any others for the help.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #725

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
GaryKD,

Thank you for figuring all these details out and taking the time to help people like me understand it.

Based on your answer to my post and info at myRewards - Home I am making a chart to show the various details so I can try to get it right.

Here is one part that appears to have a discrepancy. I realize printed info on pfj's website may lag behind what is really happening. Regarding the posts immediately above by you and David49 about not getting the cash price and the discount when using the truck pumps, regardless of payment method, if paid inside ... I see the following in the FAQs:

"Even if you pay with a credit card inside you will still receive the cash price and $.03 discount."

The full paragraph at myRewards - FAQ
says "What is "Start The Pump" and how do I get it? "Start The Pump" allows you to start the truck diesel fuel pumps using your MyRewards RV card, Frequent Fueler Advantage RV Card, or your RV Real Value Card (if you are currently using one). All you have to do is register your card and "Start The Pump" at the truck diesel lanes will be available. Simply insert your card, fuel, finish and hang up nozzle, pull forward and park, then go inside and pay with a cash or credit card. Even if you pay with a credit card inside you will still receive the cash price and $.03 discount."

Is the FAQ info wrong regarding getting the cash price and the 3 cent discount when using the truck pumps and paid inside with a credit card?

Thanks again GaryKD any others for the help.

It would also be worth knowing if Pilot/Flying J will provide the cash price for a purchase made with a debit card. I know that "Pay at Pump" treats debit cards as credit cards; if that is the case even if I take the time to go inside then they will have just lost me as a customer. What's the point of a 3 cent discount if I have to pay 5-6 cents more.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #726

Tiffin Owners Club
I thought

I was confused before but after reading the last few posts I am totally lost with all these programs what am I to expect?
I don't know what to think; I always thought it was a bit awkward for me to have to decide which go in and leave my card to fill up or fill up and hope I don't run over the set amount and have to start over.

This all seems so complicated for such a simple transaction.

I like these fuel stops their restaurants used to be really good then they leased the restaurants to Denny's, not one of my favorite restaurants, and everything changed. I liked it the way it was. Almost all my favorite servers got the axe and the new ones seem to be nice but not as friendly as the other gals, I think they are under more pressure now a days.

The stores seem to have less variety on the shelves too. It might be my imagination but I thought they used to carry more stuff for tuckers than they do now. I would be interested in hearing what the professional drivers have to say about all these changes.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #727

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Kayjulia;1270954]I was confused before but after reading the last few posts I am totally lost with all these programs what am I to expect?
I don't know what to think; I always thought it was a bit awkward for me to have to decide which go in and leave my card to fill up or fill up and hope I don't run over the set amount and have to start over.

This all seems so complicated for such a simple transaction.

I'm with you, truck lanes, rv lanes, pay inside, pay outside, turn on the pump.
Damdest marketing program I have ever heard of. It takes ALL 57 of these pages to learn how to buy fuel, insane !!
I just don't think I'm smart enough to use this card !!
On my next trip I think I will give them a call and try to learn the secret handshake one last time before I wave the white flag.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #728

Newmar Owners Club
Hi racer4 and docj,
Your best answer would be to call the PFJ RV help desk and ask the question (855-478-7587). I do my best to accurately relay what I have been told. Getting the answer to your question directly from the help desk might be the best answer. Once you receive the answer, test it yourself by making a purchase. I suggest this because only you know the best way for you to purchase fuel. This may be different than how I make the same purchase.

Closed Thread