Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #729

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kayjulia & Chuck 1935,
This does seem complicated unless one determines first what fuel one will purchase and how does one want to pay. That is step 1. Next is to determine the features and discounts one wants to receive. The third step is to contact the PFJ help desk (855-478-7587). Discuss with them your needs and have them provide advice as to which program is best for you.

PFJ has only two programs. Each has its' own T/Cs. The complexity is due to external options that have nothing to do with PFJ.
1. Debit vs credit cards.
2. CC and debit card reward programs.
3. Pump cut off limits imposed by a combination of the card bank, PFJ and card processing companies.
4. Each customer trying to get the best price by using a combination of payment method and PFJ program.
5. etc.

For me, I had a good deal with the original program and the AMEX Cash Back Card. However, things changed and I switched to the RV Plus card. Based on the amount of time and energy I am willing to devote to squeezing out the last possible penny of combined benefits, this was an acceptable decision for me.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #730

Tiffin Owners Club
I have both the RV Plus card that I use when I choose to fuel at the truck pumps. That of course is paid through my bank account.

I also still have my Frequent Fueler card active that I use when there is no line up at the RV pumps so I can use my PenFed 5% rebate credit card. I just made a long trip last month and always received the cash price in addition to the per gallon discount.

I just spoke with a supervisor at PFJ. He told me point 5 as shown below is incorrect, and should be shown under the RV lanes. His explanation was that anytime a credit card is swiped inside for the payment of fuel, you will pay the credit card price. It must swiped at the pump in order to receive the cash price.
Truck Diesel Lanes Only:
  1. Insert only your rewards card at the pump to turn on the pump. Do not insert any other card such as a credit or debit card at the pump or the transaction will fail
  2. Select fuel type.
  3. Pump fuel - When finished fueling, hang up nozzle and pull forward.
  4. Go inside and see cashier for payment
  5. Even if paying with credit/debit card still receive cash price and $.03 discount
Now having said all of that, it wouldn't surprise me if some one else were to call them and receive a different answer. However if you do, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #731

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Kayjulia & Chuck 1935,
This does seem complicated unless one determines first what fuel one will purchase and how does one want to pay. That is step 1. Next is to determine the features and discounts one wants to receive. The third step is to contact the PFJ help desk (855-478-7587). Discuss with them your needs and have them provide advice as to which program is best for you.

PFJ has only two programs. Each has its' own T/Cs. The complexity is due to external options that have nothing to do with PFJ.
1. Debit vs credit cards.
2. CC and debit card reward programs.
3. Pump cut off limits imposed by a combination of the card bank, PFJ and card processing companies.
4. Each customer trying to get the best price by using a combination of payment method and PFJ program.
5. etc.

For me, I had a good deal with the original program and the AMEX Cash Back Card. However, things changed and I switched to the RV Plus card. Based on the amount of time and energy I am willing to devote to squeezing out the last possible penny of combined benefits, this was an acceptable decision for me.
Thanks Gary,
I also now have the RV Plus Card with the Good Sam Lifetime program, so I think it might be a bunch easier from here on.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #732

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I have both the RV Plus card that I use when I choose to fuel at the truck pumps. That of course is paid through my bank account.

I also still have my Frequent Fueler card active that I use when there is no line up at the RV pumps so I can use my PenFed 5% rebate credit card. I just made a long trip last month and always received the cash price in addition to the per gallon discount.

I just spoke with a supervisor at PFJ. He told me point 5 as shown below is incorrect, and should be shown under the RV lanes. His explanation was that anytime a credit card is swiped inside for the payment of fuel, you will pay the credit card price. It must swiped at the pump in order to receive the cash price.
Truck Diesel Lanes Only:
  1. Insert only your rewards card at the pump to turn on the pump. Do not insert any other card such as a credit or debit card at the pump or the transaction will fail
  2. Select fuel type.
  3. Pump fuel - When finished fueling, hang up nozzle and pull forward.
  4. Go inside and see cashier for payment
  5. Even if paying with credit/debit card still receive cash price and $.03 discount
Now having said all of that, it wouldn't surprise me if some one else were to call them and receive a different answer. However if you do, ask to speak to a supervisor.
I know this isn't 100% correct because I made 2 transactions in the past month that violated rule #1. I inserted my Visa card and then my rewards card. The transaction goes through fine except that I got the credit price minus 3 cents rather than the cash price less 3 cents. It's not that the transaction will fail, but rather you won't get your full discount.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #733

Thor Owners Club
I have the card, but havent used it yet. I found that there are not that many stations in Oregon, Washington and when i did pass a station i didn't need fuel....so after this holiday I may cancel the card.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I know this isn't 100% correct because I made 2 transactions in the past month that violated rule #1. I inserted my Visa card and then my rewards card. The transaction goes through fine except that I got the credit price minus 3 cents rather than the cash price less 3 cents. It's not that the transaction will fail, but rather you won't get your full discount.
I've never gotten it to work with just the PFJ card, either. On our vacation this summer, every time I tried, the message came up on the screen, "Please See Cashier."
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #735

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I'm not clear on what you're referring to when you say "rule #1".
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #736

BobGed,

When docj said "rule #1" , I think he meant step #1 in the 5 steps listed, which is "
  1. Insert only your rewards card at the pump to turn on the pump. Do not insert any other card such as a credit or debit card at the pump or the transaction will fail"
I was recently told by PFJ, by email, that all truck pumps at all locations now have credit card readers. If true, then I am thinking of trying at the truck pumps what docj did. Which is:
1. swipe a Visa credit card (pump start)
2. swipe rewards card (3 cent discount ?)
3. pump, then pull up

For those that use a credit card that requires pay at the pump to get a rebate higher than the combined lower cash price and 3 cent discount (6+3=9 cents), the above procedure makes the most sense to me. If it works!

So... who else has tried swipe cc first, then swipe rewards card at the truck pumps?

Did it work?

Did you get the 3 cent discount?
Did you get cash or credit price?
Was the pump cutoff higher than $75 or $100?
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #737

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
BobGed,

When docj said "rule #1" , I think he meant step #1 in the 5 steps listed, which is "
  1. Insert only your rewards card at the pump to turn on the pump. Do not insert any other card such as a credit or debit card at the pump or the transaction will fail"
Understood, but he didn't say the transaction failed, just that he didn't receive the cash price. I would also be surprised that the transaction was at a truck pump, rather than a RV pump. Not saying it wasn't, just that I would be surprised based on my recent conversation with a PFJ CS supervisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
I was recently told by PFJ, by email, that all truck pumps at all locations now have credit card readers. If true, then I am thinking of trying at the truck pumps what docj did. Which is:

3. pump, then pull up
Do you have a copy of that email that you can copy and paste here? It's true that the truck pumps have card readers, but unless they have recently made a huge change, that doesn't mean they will read a credit card.

The procedures you posted above will work for the RV pumps. AFAIK the only way to pay at a truck pump is with the RV Plus card, but that is a debit card and not a credit card. I would love to be proven wrong on this one as I would love to be able to use my PenFed Visa rewards card at the truck pumps.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #738

First I can't figure multiple quotes, so I did the best I could.

Originally Posted by racer4
BobGed,

Quote:
Understood, but he didn't say the transaction failed, just that he didn't receive the cash price. I would also be surprised that the transaction was at a truck pump, rather than a RV pump. Not saying it wasn't, just that I would be surprised based on my recent conversation with a PFJ CS supervisor.
BobGed,

I thought docj meant he violated rule (step) 1 because he did not swipe the reward card first, as the instructions say to do. He swiped the credit card first, then the reward card and it did work and gave him the 3 cent discount (but not the cash price).

I thought docj was talking about using the truck pump because the "rules" he quoted specifically said Truck Diesel Lanes Only.

----
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4

3. pump, then pull up

Quote:
Do you have a copy of that email that you can copy and paste here? It's true that the truck pumps have card readers, but unless they have recently made a huge change, that doesn't mean they will read a credit card.

The procedures you posted above will work for the RV pumps. AFAIK the only way to pay at a truck pump is with the RV Plus card, but that is a debit card and not a credit card. I would love to be proven wrong on this one as I would love to be able to use my PenFed Visa rewards card at the truck pumps.
BobGed,

A few weeks ago I was at Pilot #222 Sturbridge MA I-84 exit 1. I pulled up to a truck pump, did not notice the card reader on the pump, went inside to get the pump started or prepay. I went back out to the pump, filled up with diesel and while filling up I noticed what looked like a credit card reader on the pump. When I went back in to pay I told the cashier I had just noticed the credit card reader on the pump and asked the cashier if I could have paid at the pump with a credit card. She said "yes".

So I sent an email to rv@pilotflyingj.com to ask how common credit card readers were on truck pumps at Pilot and Flying J. As you requested here are the copy / paste from the emails.

To rv@pilotflyingj.com

I see some Pilot locations now have "Pay At The Pump" with credit cards available at the truck diesel pumps.

How common is this at Pilot and Flying J locations? Have all locations been upgraded to "Pay At The Pump" at the truck diesel pumps?

If not all, can you give me some info on where I can find this? Certain states? East of the Mississippi? Scattered? 75%? 50%? etc.

Thank you,

Their reply:

We have pay at the pump at all the pilot flying J locations.

my note: He did not say truck pumps, so I sent a reply:

You said "We have pay at the pump at all the pilot flying J locations."

Does this include the truck diesel pumps?

Their reply:

Yes
-------
I have not used a credit card at the truck pump, but it looked to me like I could have and the cashier said I could have. And now PFJ says they have pay at the pump at all locations including the truck pumps.

I also would like to use my PenFed cc to pay at the truck pump. And if I can use the rewards card also (swiped after the cc) that is good too.

So... has anyone else actually :
paid at the pump with a credit card, at a truck pump?
swiped the rewards card also? 3 cent discount? cash price or credit price?

Thanks all

Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #739

Newmar Owners Club
The preceding posts are why I encourage each person to understand what they want to do and how they want to pay during their PFJ stop. Then they should contact PFJ and discuss their specific situation with them. Once complete, there should be no misunderstanding as to the process and the benefits one will receive.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #740

Newmar Owners Club
For those who believe they receive 5% for paying at the truck pump with a CC advertising that benefit, beware. If you pay for fuel, at the truck pump with a CC, audit your bill and determine if you really got the 5% for that purchase. I recommend this because AMEX must have a special deal with PFJ. I get 5% cash rebate on fuel when paid at the pump, except for fuel purchased at PFJ. For those purchases I receive 1%. Calling the AMEX help desk was a no joy. All they said was the rebate was dependent on the contract with AMEX and how they were registered with AMEX. AMEX will not provide any details on companies will actually pay the 5% they advertise.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #741

Tiffin Owners Club
FWIW, I just spoke with a different supervisor at PFJ CS (1-877-866-7378), and asked two questions:

Q: If you swipe a credit card and a loyalty card (such as My Rewards or Frequent Fueler) at the RV pumps, in addition to the per gallon discount, should you receive the cash price?
A: Yes, and if you don't you should take your receipt and both cards into the cashier and receive the difference.

Q: Excluding the RV Plus card (which is actually not a credit card), can you swipe a loyalty card (such as the My Rewards or Frequent Fueler) with pump start activated at the truck pumps and pay for the transaction by swiping a credit card at the pump?
A: No, you must go inside and pay at the cashier's desk.

Regarding the second question, if some one has been able to actually do this, you might want to film the the next transaction and post it on You Tube as it would be big news.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #742

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

Q: Excluding the RV Plus card (which is actually not a credit card), can you swipe a loyalty card (such as the My Rewards or Frequent Fueler) with pump start activated at the truck pumps and pay for the transaction by swiping a credit card at the pump?
A: No, you must go inside and pay at the cashier's desk.

Regarding the second question, if some one has been able to actually do this, you might want to film the the next transaction and post it on You Tube as it would be big news.
At the truck pumps I have definitely made ~8 purchases using a debit card and My Rewards card using Pay at Pump. I think maybe 3 times I have received both the cash price and the rewards discount (3 cents) and the rest of the time I been charged the credit price minus the rewards discount.

Closed Thread