Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

It would be interesting to know if the PFJ Pump Start works in Indiana. If so, the transaction never gets to the attendant until you stop pumping fuel and walk in. If at that point they don't want me to use the truck lane, I guess it would be free. Forty feet of MH and 20 feet of TOAD just does not make for the RV pump at most stations. I always use the truck lanes. I don't remember having any problems in Indiana.

Does pump start work there? I don't remember much of that state.
Pump start did not work. That's why I had to walk into the pay area, stand in line then be told I had to have a "company ID number". It is not PFJ's call to refuse RVers in the truck lanes in Indiana. The state has the rule forcing tax be paid by a company, supposedly through billing.

We motored across the street to a small diesel station (forgot the name) and found a a diesel pump lane positioned parallel to the building. Much better layout than the PFJ or Love's RV lane designs. However the small fill nozzles forces us to sit there a long time. Another drawback with small gas/diesel stations is the $100 limit, after which the pump stops, forcing me to go into the building, hand them the credit card so they can restart the pump for another $100.

I use the "app" called AllStays to spot truck stops. Next, I look at the satellite view to see if it looks OK to maneuver the bus in and out. Has worked out rather well to keep me from making an embarrassing traffic jam while the toad gets unhooked and bus backed out. Also on the satellite view, I look for the "grease spots" that telegraph the direction the trucks pull into the fueling lanes. Not an issue if trucks are in the lanes when I arrive. I just follow them, however there were a few times when the lanes were empty so I was glad to be able to act like I knew what I was doing. Sure would hate to be aimed the wrong way and have the nose of a Kenworth pull up in front of us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #828

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post
I just viewed it on their site. I liked the Country Mart much better then Dennys
Maybe they re-instated it. The sign definitely said the program was discontinued, and I even asked the cashier about it, to be sure I understood the situation. This was at the Flying J in Peculiar, MO, I'm pretty sure. So possibly it was just that location, even. Who knows?

Old 06-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #829

Still wonder if Lynsay is still working for PFJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
. " However in Indiana I found that an RV is not allowed to refuel at the truck pumps unless you have association with a company and a "company number" to start the pump. Has to do with tax being billed to your company instead of at point of purchase. Anyway, we were told to "just pull around to the other side and use the RV pumps". Easy for the attendant to say, but the positioning and design of those refueling lanes precludes making a turn with a 40' bus pulling a towed. My solution to that ... we don't use big truck stops in Indiana. Having motored across the state many times, we make sure the tanks are filled near the border in Ohio or Illinois.
I filled the MH at the truck pumps in Terre Haute, IN last week. My PFJ card worked for pump-start without a hitch. The downside was it cost me $360 to fill-including the added-on fuel tax, which was just over $25.
There is no way to get a large vehicle to the auto-diesel pumps there, don't even think about pulling in that drive with your MH go straight to the truck entrance. I even have trouble getting my Chev. dually, LB, CC truck in there!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 06-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #830

My failed attempt was at SR-59 and I-70, Brazil, IN last year. Possibly PFJ has ironed out the "no sale" thing since then. We will motor back that direction in September, so I'll try again.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #831

Newmar Owners Club
Moonrover,
Go to myRewards - RV Customer and read about how Indiana is handled. The words are located near the bottom of the page. I have had all the different PFJ cards. I have used them in Indiana since 2005. I have always been able to use the truck lanes. The procedure has change, as the programs have changed. To be successful, a customer must understand how a program works and follow the process. This is true of all companies. I have also posted, many times, do not depend on store employees to understand the program you are using. PFJ has many, many programs. If you think the store employees are going to know the details of every program, you will be disappointed. All that being said, PFJ computers have come a long way over the last couple of years. Quite a bit of money has been spent on this.

The bottom line is to determine which program you will participate in. Understand how the program works and what the customer part of the process is. Follow the process and enjoy.

If you have a problem, collect the sale information and contact the PFJ help desk.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #832

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No pump start in truck lanes at Flying J in Casper WY, but I was able to fill by going inside and sacrificing my 5% CC rebate for paying at the pump ...but I had to guess how much I would be pumping and pre-pay for that amount, so no real fill-up. Then found the truck side was a box canyon ...have to make a tight turn just past the pump island to get out. AND they advertise 2 rv lanes, but there are none ...they expect rvs to use the tight perpendicular-to-the-building car islands (and told me so). Even smaller 5th wheels were using the truck side. Casper is the worst/tightest Flying J layout I have experienced.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #833

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree, same tight turn thing happened to us in Casper.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #834

I'm new to this life and haven't been able to use my PBJ card due to them wanting a pin number which I don't know, waiting for a response from them. Fueling is a pain because I have to go inside and give them an amount to put on my card which is ok except I have to verify the amount which requires a second trip inside for a receipt. So far, using a cc at the pump only gives $100 twice at many places. I would like to be treated with more respect and get a fill up with a Visa or MC.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
I'm new to this life and haven't been able to use my PBJ card due to them wanting a pin number which I don't know, waiting for a response from them. Fueling is a pain because I have to go inside and give them an amount to put on my card which is ok except I have to verify the amount which requires a second trip inside for a receipt. So far, using a cc at the pump only gives $100 twice at many places. I would like to be treated with more respect and get a fill up with a Visa or MC.
You can go online and set your pin. I've only had my card a few months, but it works great in the truck lane.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #836

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rusty years,
If you have a RV Plus card and have not set your PIN or do not know how do set your PIN consider contacting the PFJ RV help desk 855-478-7587. As to your concern with the CC limits. That is a long complex story that has many players and impossible for the consumer to figure out. Once your PFJ RV Plus card is working, you'll find fueling to be very easy. Using the truck lanes, if you want a receipt, you will still need to go inside for a receipt.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #837

Thanks for the feedback.

Why is the cc such a problem?
What exactly is the process to use PFJ reward and cc?

I used the 2nd pump to see how it worked fueling from both sides but the 2nd pump didn't shut off automatically. That must have cost me $4.00
Old 06-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Why is the cc such a problem?
What exactly is the process to use PFJ reward and cc?

I used the 2nd pump to see how it worked fueling from both sides but the 2nd pump didn't shut off automatically. That must have cost me $4.00
I only use Flying J or Pilot and only the truck lanes. Can't believe you dumped a gallon on the ground. I used the second pump once but it backed up and splashed some on my coach. After that, I only use one pump unless I am fairly low and then I watch how much fuel I've put in and shut off the second pump long before it kicks back.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #839

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rusty years,
I never use both pumps. With a 100 gallon tank and pumping around 75 gallons, a single pump fills up the tank very quickly. This statement is for the truck pumps only.
Terminology is important:
PFJ Rewards card go to myRewards - RV Customer
PFJ RV Plus Card go to Pilot Flying J
PFJ RV Plus Card associated with Good Sam go to Pilot RV Plus - Program Details

I used to know the process for each of the cards. The bottom line is no matter what pump you use:
1. follow the instructions on the pump screen
2. If you use a PFJ card and are paying with a CC, you will be limited to what can be pumped per CC swipe. That limitation varies based on factors that are not known by the customer. If you want the pump to start without going into the fueling desk, there is a "Pump Start" criteria one must meet to gain this benefit. Contact the PFJ help desk for details at 855-478-7587.
3. If you use a PFJ card that is paid directly to PFJ monthly, there is no limit on the fuel pumped. There is a limit on your PFJ account that can not be exceeded.
4. When using the truck pumps and needing a receipt, one will need to go into the fueling desk for the receipt.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #840

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Rusty years,

I used to know the process for each of the cards. The bottom line is no matter what pump you use:
1. follow the instructions on the pump screen
2. If you use a PFJ card and are paying with a CC, you will be limited to what can be pumped per CC swipe. That limitation varies based on factors that are not known by the customer. If you want the pump to start without going into the fueling desk, there is a "Pump Start" criteria one must meet to gain this benefit. Contact the PFJ help desk for details at 855-478-7587.
3. If you use a PFJ card that is paid directly to PFJ monthly, there is no limit on the fuel pumped. There is a limit on your PFJ account that can not be exceeded.
4. When using the truck pumps and needing a receipt, one will need to go into the fueling desk for the receipt.
This is what I am talking about. What a stupid business plan! You aren't even told how much you can put on your credit card?? You need to go into the office to get the receipt?? Why? You take your car into a gas station, use a credit card and get a receipt at the pump. Why can't you do the same thing with a motorhome? P/FJ doesn't have a clue!

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Closed Thread