Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #869

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Here's my 2 cents. I have used Flying J almost exclusively for the past 6 years. As a matter of fact, the first night that I owned this, I spent at a Flying J along I81 in the southern part of Virginia. I have moved to the truck lanes now that I can by pass going inside for anything. I have a $2500 limit on fuel, so the pump never stops until I fill up. With $0.06 off the cash price of diesel, it's as competitive as possible. I'm not going to worry about 2 or 3 cents for 100+ gallons, and deal with the usual mess on the ground at all the other truck places. I also overnight without a care. I just park as far away from the truckers that I can. I'm usually too big to park up front. I have even dumped my tanks with no hassle whatsoever.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #870

Alpine Owners Club
So, why is it the Pilot stations don't give the cash price to RVers? On our trip to Washington, we stopped along I-5 (exit 148) in Oregon, and they gave us the credit price less $.03, and again in Fernley, NV...same thing. At a Flying J in Ellensburg, WA, we paid $4.229 (with our discount), and at the next exit, a Love's was advertising $4.04 cash price. I think that's the first time we've ever seen Love's price lower than what we can get at Flying J.

Is the problem related to our loyalty card, which is a couple of years old? Do we need to get yet another new card?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #871

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
You need the Good Sam / Flying J credit card. Only good at Flying J / Pilot and must be paid in full every month. Then you get the cash price less $0.06 per gallon on diesel.

Not even sure if the loyalty program even works anymore.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #872

Fleetwood Owners Club
A nice upgrade to Pilot/ FJ would be to be able to use ANY credit card at
the truck pumps .
Old 08-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #873

When paying with a credit card, the company (all companies) have to pay a processing fee of about 2% to 3%. This is true if you are buying fuel or a couch. They figure in the processing fee into the price and it you pay cash, they will reduce the price. Has nothing to do with the RV card. Anybody in business has to pay these fees. If I sell you something for $100, the Credit Card company deducts $100 out of your account and credits my account for $98. It is frequently less with a debt card where they just charge a swipe fee. The fees and procedures vary from state to state and fro processor to processor.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #874

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks, OldHiker...that answers my question. Flying J did that well before the merger, and the merger ended the need for the credit card...but obviously, they've decided to go back to that. The Loyalty card does still give you a $.03 discount.

Lindsay, you are absolutely right about the processing fees. As a retired banker, I can certainly validate that. So, Pilot/Flying J is really doing a great thing to give us the cash price, even with their own affinity card. They most likely have a special rate with the card issuer, but it will still cost them something for processing, I'm sure.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #875

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post
You need the Good Sam / Flying J credit card. Only good at Flying J / Pilot and must be paid in full every month. Then you get the cash price less $0.06 per gallon on diesel.

Not even sure if the loyalty program even works anymore.
X2 card starts truck pumps, which are easy to get in and out for my 42'+toad. My DW manages this maneuver with ease, now if I can just get her to pump the fuel I'd be set. Lol. Have seen cheaper fuel, but the risk of being blocked in or having to disconnect the toad just to back out is not worth the savings. I don't like to get below 1/4 tank before I fuel.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #876
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We've used the Pilot/Flying J card almost exclusively since purchasing our rig almost 3 years ago. I like being able to pull up to the pump and just start filling the tank without the need for multiple trips into the building. The first "loyalty" card issued, at an RV rally, never worked. I called Pilot and they immediately issued a new one and it never failed to work.

We've always gotten the discount off the cash price.

There have been a number of discussions about the PITA Indiana laws make it for a private party to purchase fuel in Indiana. I now always plan our trips so we will not have to stop in Indiana. Can't speak to Wyoming. We stopped in Wyoming for a very pleasant week last summer, but I don't remember stopping for fuel there.

There have been other threads mentioning that Pilot/Flying J is slowly rolling out the ability to use any credit card in the truck lanes, at the pump, and it's been reported that some have seen it already, but I don't remember where. As they say, "coming to a store near you soon."
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #877

Tiffin Owners Club
One improvement would to to show the stops on the app that do not RV lanes, I stopped at one in SC that had none and all the truck lanes of course were not gas lanes, had to find another station to purchase my fuel, other than that we have been happy with PFJ
Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #878

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter 45 View Post
One improvement would to to show the stops on the app that do not RV lanes, I stopped at one in SC that had none and all the truck lanes of course were not gas lanes, had to find another station to purchase my fuel, other than that we have been happy with PFJ
The app does show the number of RV lanes at each location under amenities, if they have them. If they are no RV lanes at a particular location then RV lanes is not even listed under amenities.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #879

Monaco Owners Club
Lindsay, How do you know if your card is pump start ready, because I do not see on the site were it tells you to activate the pump start.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #880

Newmar Owners Club
Hi micki49,
It depends on which card you have. The PFJ charge cards are all pump start ready. The older programs required one to complete a process for the card to be pump start ready. If you have one of the older program cards, consider calling PFJ customer support at 855-478-7587. Provide the information they ask for to determine if your card is pump start ready.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 09-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #881

Ok, let me get this right, you go through the process, get the card, I find a Flying J, put in 50 gallons of gas and all I have saved is $1.50 ?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #882

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dr. Den,
It depends on the program/card you received and sometimes the level of membership with GS. An example is a lifetime member of GS with the PFJ charge card receives 8 cents off the cash price on diesel and 6 cents off the cash price on gas.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Closed Thread