Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #911

Many Flying J's have separate RV islands with satellite pumps, long handled windshield washer, air and lower prices. Some have dump stations that are free if you fill up. We have spent the night in the back before, but sometimes noisy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #912

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are also a joke for Diesel rigs with their overpriced fuel.
Gas Buddy lets me find fuel that is at least about .20 cents a gallon cheaper and can accommodate an Rv.
Makes for a happier camper !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #913

When I pull into a Flying J with my rig there are always cars parked in the RV spots. If you want rv traffic, then keep a spot open where they can park. To prove my point, go to Google Maps and look at the Flying J near Beaumont, TX. This is more the norm than the exception.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #914

Fleetwood Owners Club
Those google maps are not live now pictures, like a web cam.
Those same vehicles or same number of them, will not be there now.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #915

The Google map was not the point, only to illustrate what I was pointing out. Quite often when you pull into a Flying J the RV parking spots are filled with cars and there is no place to park. The RV spots should be for RVs. This has happened at Pensacola FL, Gulfport MS, and Beaumont TX.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #916

I think this is the fault of the idiot automobile drivers rather than the fault of Flying J. Lots of people are clueless. I have stopped in the RV parking places at Flying J many times. As far as the prices go, you can get current prices just about anywhere via your Smart phone with Gas Buddy.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #917

OK, say you're the manager of the Flying J. You have an RV owner come in who is complaining about something other than an RV parking in the RV spot. What do you do? (And if you've been in a Flying J, you know the manager just has loads of spare time.) So...one (maybe) customer wants another (maybe) customer to move. What are you going to do? Physically throw the "wrong" customer off the property? Call a tow truck? Call the police? He's going to do exactly none of those. He's going to say, "Sorry, but parking in our lots is first come first served."
Old 12-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #918

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
They are also a joke for Diesel rigs with their overpriced fuel.
Gas Buddy lets me find fuel that is at least about .20 cents a gallon cheaper and can accommodate an Rv.
Makes for a happier camper !
Got to agree with Gas Buddy, however as I travel around the country I do not find Flying J/Pilot to always be higher priced. In my home area of NC they are usually the cheapest of filling stations that border the interstate.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #919

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Got to agree with Gas Buddy, however as I travel around the country I do not find Flying J/Pilot to always be higher priced. In my home area of NC they are usually the cheapest of filling stations that border the interstate.
That may be true local to you. I traveled from the East coast to AZ this Fall. P/FJ was higher all along the way. Today, here in Yuma, the FJ is $3.99 cash price, while the 76 station is $3.73, cash or credit. They are on the same corner lot. No wonder the FJ RV lane was empty! They were all at the 76. So, $26 per 100 gal cheaper. Plus cash back on my CC. Another double win for me. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1381793890.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	52772
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1533496081.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	52773  
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 12-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #920
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stopped Flying J in Latta, SC just off I-95. The place was a zoo. Went to truck pumps in back, put Visa card in, swiped my Flying J card and got message to 'see cashier.' Went inside.... no one at fuel desk, two cashiers at other registers..... very long lines. Finally got to cashier who had no idea what the Flying J customer card was. Wanted me to tell her how much fuel I needed, I said not sure, can't you just hold the card and let me fill and come back. She said no, I had to give her a dollar amount.

The place was nasty. I finally got some fuel but will look for other options whenever I can. I passed several nice diesel stations on 38 on the way into Myrtle Beach with diesel prices $.25 to $.30 less per gallon.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #921

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Stopped Flying J in Latta, SC just off I-95. The place was a zoo. Went to truck pumps in back, put Visa card in, swiped my Flying J card and got message to 'see cashier.' Went inside.... no one at fuel desk, two cashiers at other registers..... very long lines. Finally got to cashier who had no idea what the Flying J customer card was. Wanted me to tell her how much fuel I needed, I said not sure, can't you just hold the card and let me fill and come back. She said no, I had to give her a dollar amount.

The place was nasty. I finally got some fuel but will look for other options whenever I can. I passed several nice diesel stations on 38 on the way into Myrtle Beach with diesel prices $.25 to $.30 less per gallon.
You can't use a Visa card at the truck pumps. If your PFJ card has pump start activated, that is the card you should have swiped to start the pump. When finished fueling you would have to go inside to pay with your Visa card.

If you had the PFJ RV Plus card you could swipe it at the truck pump and when finished fueling, just drive away. All the details of your transaction would be available online.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #922

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
That may be true local to you. I traveled from the East coast to AZ this Fall. P/FJ was higher all along the way. Today, here in Yuma, the FJ is $3.99 cash price, while the 76 station is $3.73, cash or credit. They are on the same corner lot. No wonder the FJ RV lane was empty! They were all at the 76. So, $26 per 100 gal cheaper. Plus cash back on my CC. Another double win for me.
I understand the huge price difference of this location, but it's interesting that the PFJ guide shows it as a dealer site (they can charge whatever they want) with no RV lanes. I think this a somewhat unique situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PFJ_Yuma.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	52776   Click image for larger version

Name:	PFJ_Yuma2.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	52777  

Old 12-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #923
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
You can't use a Visa card at the truck pumps. If your PFJ card has pump start activated, that is the card you should have swiped to start the pump. When finished fueling you would have to go inside to pay with your Visa card.

If you had the PFJ RV Plus card you could swipe it at the truck pump and when finished fueling, just drive away. All the details of your transaction would be available online.
I have the Flying J RV Plus card but got it before Pilot acquired FJ. Maybe that was the issue but the cashiers were clueless and were really not helpful.

In all previous cases (it has been some time since I last visited FJ), I could swipe the Visa, then swipe the FJ RV Plus card, pump and go.

The reason I have not used FJ often is it has been pretty easy to find fuel at lower prices at Kroger and Murphy. Now that I have a longer rig, those options will be somewhat limited so I may need to use truck stops more frequently.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #924

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post

This is ONE of the reasons that I do not use them. Too many rules. Why is it that I can go to any other brand of gas station and put in any credit card and start the pump but not at PFJ? They need to simplify their rules and they need the rules to apply to every station that has their PFJ sign on it.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Closed Thread