Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #57

FJ/Pilot

Linsay,
I also have had problems. It seems there is a new adventure at each station visited.
Station #624 Dade City, FL, 4/13/11 allowed all authorized discounts.

Station #631 Lake Park, GA 4/15/11 did not allow any discounts, loyalty card was asked for and inserted.

Like others, time is important, sometimes no open place to park and return to the clerk, so without causing a further delay for other customers, I moved down the highway. As others mentioned the cost of the fuel is higher at FJ/Pilot, so when going out of your way to refuel and find out there was not a discount, I wonder why? I believe you can understand the frustration some of us who frequent FJ/pilot are experiencing. In the past it was more of a pleasure to conduct business.

It is improving but there are still problems.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #58

Gulf Streamers Club
This thread got big fast. I like flying J for the most part. However i do not like discount cards etc for fuel. I just like to see a competitive price offered to all who stop, cash or credit. Sure would simplify things and i wouldn't feel i have to jump through hoops for the best price. Just my opinion.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #59

Lynsay,

I want to add my appreciation and applause to you and FJ/Pilot for your initiative here. I spoke with Mr. H. and Ms. T. (??) in the executive offices, and Ms. M. M., C. S. Mgr on 04/11/2011, and then Mr. R. E. who called me on 04/12/2011.

As I said repeatedly in those discussions, I had been a long-term very loyal customer of FJ, and very much want(ed) to remain so in the future. However, the seemingly never-ending series of frustrations during this past year or so during the merger from so much confusion and negative attitude amongst the store personnel including managers, much of which has been covered in other previous postings here on this thread, had broken that desire.

The pro-activeness that I have seen from Mr. R. E.'s phone call and your own actions here have given me new hope that that FJ will be my primary fuel retailer of choice in the future.

Thanks; I look forward to the future.

Gary
Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #60

Wow. I feel like I just stepped into the twilite zone.

We are full time rvers and I don't understand why we can't just pull in, fill up, pay and roll on down the road. Why do we have to join a club or get a special card or know the secret handshake?

It seems to me that the easier you make it on rvers the more of us will stop and fill up. Why so complicated?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #61
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits One View Post
Wow. I feel like I just stepped into the twilite zone.

We are full time rvers and I don't understand why we can't just pull in, fill up, pay and roll on down the road. Why do we have to join a club or get a special card or know the secret handshake?

It seems to me that the easier you make it on rvers the more of us will stop and fill up. Why so complicated?
Nobody is stopping you from just pulling in and getting your fuel. If you do not want the discount, don't get the RV card.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Wow. I feel like I just stepped into the twilite zone...?

We're glad you stopped by. Please come back often!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
LynSay, Welcome to the forum nice to have a Flying J/Pilot representative reviewing our threads.

I have a question about the $75 pump shut-off when using your RV Card & Credit Card at the RV lanes. Seems since the merger that pumps turn off after you have pumped $75 worth of fuel. Before the merger if you swiped your RV Card the automatic shut-off at $75 was negated so one could pump a fuel load of fuel, this was a handy feature.

Is there any move in the future to negate $75 pump shut-off if we use our RV cards and a credit card?

Thanks
Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj

. If you do not want the discount, don't get the RV card.
This is exactly my point. Why do I need a card to get the discount? What is the point of that?

Doesn't everyone want the discount?

Are you because you believe some people want the discount but others would prefer to pay more?

Perhaps those people could have a "reverse discount" card so they could pay more than the full price.

That seems $confusing$ to me.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #65
edj

Quote:
This is exactly my point. Why do I need a card to get the discount? What is the point of that?

Doesn't everyone want the discount?

Are you because you believe some people want the discount but others would prefer to pay more?

Perhaps those people could have a "reverse discount" card so they could pay more than the full price.

That seems $confusing$ to me.
If they gave it to everybody, it would be the regular price, not a discount... It is the same as many restaurants do. They create 'clubs' that when you sign up for a 'membership' they send various coupons for discounts.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #66

Lynsay,

I commute 200 miles between my RV an Stick house. Flying J used to be the cheapest fuel. Since Pilot has taken them over they are the highest priced in 200 miles. I will not stop again until prices come down.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynsayPFJ View Post
I'll join right now. Thank you for the suggestion! Please feel free to pass on any threads you think I should join.
Hello Lynsay,
I would like to see you join the yahoo Monacoers group. There has been much discussion on this matter recently.

steveg
Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
OMG, really??

They 'give' you a 'discount' 'cause they make you jump through hoops and give them all your personal information to track and either use for marketing or sell to others who might be interested in how much you travel, where, and how much you spend on what.. THAT is the reason for the discount.

No different for any retailer in todays age.. you are ALWAYS being tracked... even Apple just got busted for it by tracking your iPhone ALL THE TIME.

Edit: http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/04/app...-tracking.html

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/21...-tracking.html
Old 04-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi washbob,
Consider obtaining a RV Frequent Fueler card. One can do this be asking any Pilot/J cashier. Make sure the cashier knows you are an RVer and not an OTR driver. Immediately register the card for the pump start feature. You'll now be able to use the process as mentioned in post #8 and 48 to pump all the fuel you need. I use the truck pumps exclusively and per previous posts, you'll read it works for me.
GaryKD - I have a RV Frequent Fueler card and I'm aware of the truck pumps, but I'm trying to avoid going inside to pay. Standing in line to pay when I can do everything at the pump is my goal. If the $75 limit was raised that would solve my issue of swiping my credit card 4 to 5 times for a fill up.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What year was it that the card was stopped? I know I had gone in some stations and was told the card was no longer used and I filed it away.

Following is just my opinion.Discount or not I still use them now and then and will continue to do so now and then. In all honesty I do not seek them out anymore and will try to explain my particular feelings in regards to them in the following few paragraphs. If it helps great. If not then no big deal. I like the ideas of easy setups to get gas and that is my main driving force.. lower price and ease of access are my prime concerns when I go to a station. Sometimes I buy goods at the store and sometimes not.

Most of my problems with Flying J cannot be addressed. Most of the stations were designed many years ago and set up more for less volume;add that to inconsiderate or ignorance on the part of people in cars and you have a bottleneck. I will seek out less crowded stations as it's less of a hassle for me. I go to gas pumps and I am in with the 4-wheelers which means a long wait. Sometimes the pumps are situated with the exit from the pumps toward the building and the 4-wheelers with their lazy inhabitants park so you have no room to swing. Not the fault of the establishment at all. You end up going in for gas and waiting a half hour for traffic to clear.
Same problem with the propane. Seems somebody is always parked there while going to the store.

To me, the hassle is not worth the .02 discount when I can usually get the gas MUCH cheaper and with less drama. I end up using the Flying J as a last resort. Even with my 85 gal gas tank it is not worth the couple of bucks of savings ( most of the time it's not a savings at all ) to deal with the wait , both at the pump, and the line to pay inside. If the card made it so I wouldn't have to prepay then it might make it a little more worthwhile but as it is now it's not. The prepay makes me wait in line, then pump, then wait again in line. Judging on the last time I went it added more time because they had to figure out the discount after.. I almost just said keep the change and walked on that one. lol

I think the card if done right would be of more benefit to diesel folks as they have the easier to access truck lanes and if it let them do their thing at the pump then great.

Edit: Going over my gas logs, I slowed way down on flying J stations after 2003... 2003 and before I was a frequent flyer with flying J .. I have strings of Flying J entries , many times up to 6 in a row previous to that.
Closed Thread