Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #505

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure about cost savings at Flying J or other diesel fuel stops. If the price is reasonably completive I'm good. Just don;t have the patience to search for $0.05 cheaper fuel. That amounts to $5.00 a tank on a 100 gallon tank. My time is worth more than that.

What keeps me going to Flying J is convenience, if I start the pump with my Frequent Fueler card the pump will run until I'm full, no reinserting my credit card 4 times, RV dump, fresh water etc..

Hard to believe something as trivial where someone fuels up can create such an uproar. Has to be better topics to argue about like Ford vs. Chevy or the ever popular level first or slides first.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #506

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CAMPER View Post
sdennislee,
Hey, go with what works for YOU. That's what I do.

BTW I have a GMC,.. what do you have? Oops, that should be anotler thread, huh.
Nevermind...
michigancamper
Always have and always will. Prefer Ford but have a 72 K5 Blazer I'm kind of fond of since I can't seem to get it sold.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #507

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
In Canada, you have to go into the office, make a prediction about how much fuel you will need, they authorize your credit card and turn on the pump. You fill and then return to the office where they charge you the actual amount you pumped.

That's the plan, but at our PFJ they never seem to know what to do lately. They do charge less, but you can't buy anything so the price doesn't matter much!

They could easily lower the price even more!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #508

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.smithjr View Post
In Canada, you have to go into the office, make a prediction about how much fuel you will need, they authorize your credit card and turn on the pump. You fill and then return to the office where they charge you the actual amount you pumped.

That's the plan, but at our PFJ they never seem to know what to do lately. They do charge less, but you can't buy anything so the price doesn't matter much!

Jim,
I see you hail from Canada but have you tried using the PFJ card in the USA?
Just curious as to your experience here. My guess is there are glitches in Canada as there are here in the US.
michigancamper
Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #509

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.smithjr View Post

I don't think this is limited to PFJ, I travel through Canada twice a year. Either taking the RV to the lower 48 from Alaska in the fall or bringing it back in the spring. Regardless of where we stop. The process is the same as listed above. Could this be related to Canadian banking/credit card rules?

Come to think of it I don't think there is PFJ on our route through Canada.

Again the biggest benefit to me at a PFJ is using my card to start the pump. This allows me to fill my 100 gallon tank without restart the pump with a credit card every $75 or $100. Not a huge benefit I guess but I like it.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #510

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
In my long life, this is the only place in Canada where I have been unable to buy fuel.

Our stations are starting to require pre-authorization, but I think it's corporate rules and not banking rules driving this change.

I have used my PFJ cards at a few USA locations. Worked just fine.

I much prefer pre-authorization to having the pump stop 3-4 times to fill my motor home.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #511

Newmar Owners Club
Hi All,
This is to let our Canadian members know that PFJ is aware of the zip code problem previously posted in this thread. They recognize the importance of having Canadian customers be able to use pay at the pump. They are working on closing the issue. I do not have a closure date. Closing the issue is a bit more complicated than just accepting a Canadian postal code at the pump. There is considerable work to be done with Canadian CC processing companies to connect the data bases needed so the entry can be validated correctly. In addition there are cross boarder items that need to be closed. These are legal, financial and privacy industry work items.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 09-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #512

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Filled up at Whiteland Indiana Flying J today, great price on gas......$3.17/gal with discount (cheapest price I saw by far on way down I65 from Lafayette). Only disappointment was pump shut off at $150 at RV Island. According to rules posted on page 1, shut-off should be $495 with Visa which is what I used. Didn't bother to go in and ask why, just restarted pump.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #513

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DandS,
Using the details from your receipt, please consider reporting this to PFJ, per post #1. Reporting the details to PFJ will help get these discrepancies closed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #514

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
Filled up at Whiteland Indiana Flying J today, great price on gas......$3.17/gal with discount (cheapest price I saw by far on way down I65 from Lafayette).
You could have gotten gas just a few miles away at the Greenwood Murphy's with 10˘ Gift Card discount for $3.09.

On Oct. 1st discount goes back to 3˘ at Murphy's. So it will be $3.16
Old 09-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
You could have gotten gas just a few miles away at the Greenwood Murphy's with 10˘ Gift Card discount for $3.09.

On Oct. 1st discount goes back to 3˘ at Murphy's. So it will be $3.16
Be careful Triker,
I've been warned that this thread is all about 'helping' folks get their proper discounts from PF/J and NOT to post anything to the contrary.

The 'Thread Police' are watching. (or maybe only when somebody cries)
When that happens your post go 'poof'. (disappears)
just like this one will if you don't read it quickly.
And if you really really bad, I suppose you'll get banned totally.
YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!
michigancamper
Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #516

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't think I want to drive an extra 8-10 miles (round trip) on and off the freeway to go to a station that doesn't have an RV Island and I don't have a discount card. No thanks !
Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #517
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry, but I have to agree that this entire thread should be about PFJ, there services, good or bad, and how we as RVer's can maybe help improve. Yes, there are other stations out there that have lower and higher prices, and everyone has to make their own decision for which one to use.

Personally, I thank PFJ for making the effort to give us the opportunity to pump fuel from a truck pump without having to go inside first. The discount is also a nice touch.

Again, thanks PFJ. I hope you continue the service. There are a lot of user that appreciate it.

(I am not affiliated with PFJ, other than just a Frequent Card Member.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #518

Country Coach Owners Club
Here is a letter I wrote to FJ relating my experiences on our last trip. I am still waiting a response.

Gentlemen;

At the recent FMCA convention in Madison, WI we spoke with one of your reps. He told us that all the problems relating to the merger of Pilot and Flying J and RV fueling had been worked out and ALL pumps would recognize the RV Frequent Fueler card. By using the FF card at the truck pumps the pump “start” feature would be activated and fueling would commence immediately at the cash price.

After leaving the convention our first fuel stop was at Black River Falls, WI. The diesel cash price was $3.899. We pulled into the truck lanes and inserted the FF card and nothing happened. A phone call to the fuel desk resulted in being informed that all the readers at the pumps were “down” and I had to go into the store. I gave them my FF card and they asked how I was going to pay. When I said by credit card they required me to prepay $400. I went back out, filled the tank and went back inside to get a receipt for the actual cost of diesel I had used. Upon examining my receipt I discovered I was charged $3.919. That required another trip back into the store where I asked the cashier why I hadn’t received the cash price. She made a couple of inquiries and then I was told the manager said it was because there are no RV islands and then because they had just been bought out and things hadn’t been sorted out yet. I informed them about talking to a Pilot/FJ rep at FMCA and being assured all was fixed. I was given cash change as a refund. The transaction number is 6032915.

The trip continued on to Fargo, ND. Your new brochure indicated no RV islands so we pulled into the truck islands. The FF card didn’t work, was declined and said to see cashier. I went in and inquired why my FF card didn’t work. I was told that they had designated 2 car islands as RV lanes and the card would work there. The cashier then said that at the truck pump I would have to prepay and be charged the credit price. At this location the cash price was $3.859 and credit $3.919. I told the cashier what we had learned at FMCA and would deal with corporate on this matter. I fueled at the credit price. When I went to get my actual receipt I spoke with Louie, the manager. He said that what corporate told me was wrong. He said the card readers are old and will not accept the FF card. Also, he said I wouldn’t receive the cash price or discount at ANY truck pump. Louie did offer to give me $4 cash because he felt bad. I declined and said I would take it up with corporate. The transaction number is 6154997. I pumped 42.103gal. There was a $.06 difference between credit and cash plus the $.03 discount for a total $.09/gal. We were overcharged $3.79. As we exited the station we looked and there is no signage at the car islands indicating any were for RV use.
Day 3 of our journey to WA from WI found us in Billings, MT where we pulled into the Flying J off I90 at exit 455. This station isn’t listed in the new brochure. We pulled into the truck island. I inserted my FF card, it didn’t work and gave no instructions so I walked to the store and was told that this particular station is a franchisee and the card would work at the RV island. So we moved to the RV island which is very tight for a 40ft. coach with a tow car. My card was recognized and I was able to put in 26.198 gal. before the pump stopped. It took 3 times of starting and stopping before the tank was filled. We did receive the cash price but not the discount. The G.M. Tom Hawley was grilling burgers for sale when we stopped to chat with him. He was very gracious, spoke with us at some length about the merger and Town Pump’s upcoming changes at that station. He refunded in cash the $.03/gal discount. The transaction numbers are: 39923, 39924 & 39925.

On day 4 we were stopped at a rest area in Coeur d’Alene, ID when in drove friends who also had been at FMCA. They recounted more misadventures with the FF card. They did say they had had no trouble using the FF card at Post Falls, ID Flying J on the way to Madison. So we decided to try that station next. Amazingly, it all worked as described at the truck pumps.

fill at a Flying J I encounter problems such as listed above. I also do not like being told by the fuel desk clerks that it is my credit card company that puts the monetary limits on fuel purchases. I have verified with my card company, American Express, that they do not put a limit on purchases but it is the merchant, meaning in this case, Pilot/FJ.

Also, since Flying J merged with Pilot the islands are not maintained nearly as well. They are dirty and loaded with oil and diesel fuel. I am sure that the truckers along with us motor home owners do not appreciate walking through diesel fuel.

I must say that the reps at the FMCA convention took a lot of verbal abuse from numerous irate motor homers. They handled these people in a very professional manner.

Awaiting your response.
Closed Thread