Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
High gas prices-Are you hesitating to sell RV?

I'm hesitating to put my MH on the market. May not be able to sell it because of gas prices. It will be in the lower price ranges.

But MH prices are down anyway. Of course if it's dirt cheap, it will sell.

Dirt isn't cheap anymore.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Nope.....
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I think the high dollar rigs will sell better than those at the lower end of the scale. People buying the higher priced units won't care what the gas prices do
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I think it depends on how bad a person wants it and what you consider lower price range for the model you are selling. For example, this week I just paid an insanely high amount for a 1975 Dodge Class C: $2,000. Now $2,000 is insanely cheap compared to the $40,000 price range of newer-used rvs, but for this particular type of rv, $2,000 is considered very high. Most sellers have a hard time getting $750 for a 1970's RV. There was a 1978 Dodge Class C I could have bought for $900, a 1976 Dodge Class CI could have bought for $750, a 1971 Dodge Travco I could have bought for $1,500, and a 1963 Dodge Class A I could have bought for $1,000. The one I bought was the most expensive, but it was also the only one with a current inspection sticker (thus the only one garunteed to be road ready at time of sale). I figured it out and the work any of the others needed to be able to get an inspection sticker, was going to cost at minimum $4,000, so I paid more because in the long run this was the one that would cost me the least.

So, it all depends on the condition of the rv verses what the buyer is looking for. People are willing to pay more for something they really want.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Consider this solution if fuel prices make it too difficult to travel. Find a place:
1. a comfortable driving distance from the stick house
2. many activities that one enjoys in the area
3. variety of activities in the area (for family & friends)
4. local communities have the long term services one needs (health care, church, shopping, restaurants, other RVers, etc.)

Consider long term rental or purchasing (which ever is appropriate) of an RV lot/site to put the coach. One can now drive the car to and from the site where the coach has been placed. The coach will still be used and the area chosen will be explored over time.

This keeps the coach (asset) and RV lifestyle intact and continuing to be enjoyed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #6

i don't know why you are wanting to sell, but there are plenty of places to advertise free on the net. One thing for sure it will not sell unless you put it put there. Just be careful who you deal with.

safe travels

Richard

Neko & Nilla
rbracing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Why sell? What are the things that we need to RV
1. Food--I still eat when I am home
2. RV camping--I can keep that to a minimum by joining a Camping Club-Passport America 1/2 price--Corp of Engineers Campgrounds $8-$10 per night--Coast to Coast $10.00 per night.
3. Fuel biggest expense, not really, but that is the largest increase since last year.
4.How much fuel did you use last year-just X the number of Gals by $1.00.
Last year we used just over 700 gals of Diesel X $1.00=$700.00. Now where can save or make up that $700.00.
A. Improve my fuel milage. How lighten the load, do I need 100 gals of water.
B. If I slow down how much fuel will I save. I pick up 2/10 of a gal when I drive 58-60 mph. So every 5 gals I save 1 gal or $3.50-$4.00. Just in cutting down my speed I will save almost $550.00.
C. Eat out less
D. Stay a few more night at Walmart-Flying j-Home Depot, I know Campgrounds will hurt by not staying there, but they have to understand many of us just need a place to sleep at night and we are on the road early. In all my travel I found only one place where I could stop just for the night, $10.00 exit 49 RI-80 in Indiana.
I know we will not be thinking of selling, but where our we going next.
Happy RVing and see ya down the road.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, we have no thoughts of selling or parking our RV. For my DW and I, it is a life style we purchased when we bought our MH. We look forward to our trips and spending time with friends we have made through iRV2. In fact we are leaving for FL March 7 and we are still Happy Campers.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Because of the present and future economic picture, I think there will be some people who will opt to spend less on an RV and save the difference of what they would have spent to fund their dream to travel. I say put it on the market, what's the worst that could happen.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
No, we're not even thinking of selling our RV. We have chosen to live in our RV and even with the increase in gas prices, it is still cheaper than our S & B. We couldn't even move back into the house until the lease runs out for our tenants, and we would have to buy all the furniture, appliances, etc. Nope, we'll take shorter trips this year and explore neighboring states versus long trips, and just keep enjoying exploring our own state.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn
Why sell? What are the things that we need to RV
1. Food--I still eat when I am home
2. RV camping--I can keep that to a minimum by joining a Camping Club-Passport America 1/2 price--Corp of Engineers Campgrounds $8-$10 per night--Coast to Coast $10.00 per night.
3. Fuel biggest expense, not really, but that is the largest increase since last year.
4.How much fuel did you use last year-just X the number of Gals by $1.00.
Last year we used just over 700 gals of Diesel X $1.00=$700.00. Now where can save or make up that $700.00.
A. Improve my fuel milage. How lighten the load, do I need 100 gals of water.
B. If I slow down how much fuel will I save. I pick up 2/10 of a gal when I drive 58-60 mph. So every 5 gals I save 1 gal or $3.50-$4.00. Just in cutting down my speed I will save almost $550.00.
C. Eat out less
D. Stay a few more night at Walmart-Flying j-Home Depot, I know Campgrounds will hurt by not staying there, but they have to understand many of us just need a place to sleep at night and we are on the road early. In all my travel I found only one place where I could stop just for the night, $10.00 exit 49 RI-80 in Indiana.
I know we will not be thinking of selling, but where our we going next.
Happy RVing and see ya down the road.
Finally the first logical approach I have seen
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick w View Post
I'm hesitating to put my MH on the market. May not be able to sell it because of gas prices. It will be in the lower price ranges.

But MH prices are down anyway. Of course if it's dirt cheap, it will sell.

Dirt isn't cheap anymore.
Why would I get rid of our RV. We haven't finished wearing it out yet. I put a $6k ding in the passenger side bay doors on our last trip so she is in getting tended to.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Unhappy

My saga of luck and an easy sell.

I had a nice 29 ft 2005 Winnebago, Sightseer. Both hubby and I had been wanting a diesel pusher so we found an oldie, a 1992 American Eagle no slides my other had 2, but its 38 ft and has a full bathroom, W/D, and a stand alone ice maker even. We knew it needed work, however, its needing more then we realized, but that's ok we will get it done, its just I'm itching to go and can't.

I had a neighbor who stopped by and asked if we were going to sell one of the motorhomes, we had already bought the old one. I told them yes but DD and I were taking a month long trip first. They looked it over and really liked it, he said no hurry we are just starting to look. In talking to him, found he was an insurance broker and I am in the process of transferring all our rental and other insurance business to him, so that's a plus, saved a bunch of money too.

So DD and I took our trip from north of Houston, south through Texas to Matagorda, west to Vegas and back across 40 and down through Texas home, had a great time. We chatted when I got back, I let a guy we know stay in it 2 weeks while we got a rental ready for him.

Wouldn't you know these folks came by, I had cleaned it all up and everything out, we took them for a drive. They were thrilled, it was in tip top shape. The cruise didn't work and I had never used it was going to get it fixed but they didn't care either so they bought it. Wrote me a check that day. Hubby had told me to keep it so I could use it till he could get everything done on the other one, but my gut said I needed to sell it while I had a willing and able buyer so I did. Some days I regret not having it, everytime I see them leaving, boo hoo, but we will get this one done. They knew we fixed and maintained our vehicles good. So I think I did the smart thing, never knew prices were going to go like this. But I agree I think they will be very hard to sell at least the ones in that price range.

Still can't wait to get this one on the road though!!

We may sell this later, I'm wanting to see how well I can do with a longer one and if I can get it around as good as my Winnie we will likely buy a bit newer one with a couple of slides. For my daughter and I think is plenty big, but hubby will retire in 2 years and with the 3 of us not really enough room. but we didn't want to spend a ton of money on something in case I can't handle it so this will serve the purpose, but we won't stop going, and we won't buy new either. We won't make any money off it but we can likely recoup most of what we will spend on it and enjoy it too. It will be July at least before I can go, but watch out this fall and next summer, we will be out there again.!!
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #14

Why panic? This is nothing new it happens every few months. The oil companies raise the price of gas. Then demand drops and they reduce the price to the point where demand increases again. The price is never drops back to the where it started. They are gradually getting us to the point where we think $5 is a bargain. When that happens they will start working us towards $10 a gallon. It's about greed! It will never stop until we permanently reduce our demand for oil!
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas