Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

Holidays and Credit Card Fraud

We got hit by credit card fraud again. This time someone charge $508.12 at Walgreens in a different state the other day using my CC number. This was on a card I had't used in 5 months! This morning I got a call from VISA fraud prevention asking if we made the charge. Long story short, the credit union is having to freeze the Visa account and reissue a new card under a new VISA account. Two years ago someone hit one of my company cards in excess of $15,000 (28 charges all under $500, all at CVS Pharmacy, all within one hour between 11:00 and midnight, all in and around New York City)!before the card locked. (Credit cards protect you from fraud, but only if you report it in the time frame spelled out in your contract).

Just a word of caution during this holiday season. LOOK at your charges, and look at any HOLDS pending. Others are trying to have a Merry Christmas at your and my expense.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I get at least one and sometimes two a year. I use Bank of America and have email alerts for charges over $100 . They've been great about restoring my limit and erasing the charges as well as issuing a new card. I now have two separate cards to avoid being without one

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

The card that was hit was our "backup card" and the last time we used it was out West when our primary card suddenly decided to stop working, probably due to a worn magnetic strip or something like that. I had to tell Sharon not to use the card so much!
Old 12-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We got a call from AMEX that someone had tried to place an order for $15,000 from Wal*Mart on our card. They blocked it immediately as it was over our limit. What bothered me was that AMEX said the only reason it was blocked was because it was over our limit. That card purposely has a low limit as it's paid off every month.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Same thing happen to me last year in Florida. Someone charged something at Sports Authority. Credit Card company called me to confirm the charge then blocked the card. I believe that the card number was obtained from one of the restaurants that we ate at, probably in Orlando. They tried to do a background check on me, even used the CC for that.

When I got home I took the time to call the 2 companies that the charges were to, my CC company did not inform them of the fraud. No wonder this continues to happen.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use one card for anytime the card is out of our hand or not directly swiped. This is probably the highest risk of having the number compromised.

Another for all the automagic payments, as this is probably the safest from being compromised and the biggest hassle of a new card/number is required.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

The one thing that really bugs me is no body seems to care. When the $15,000+ was charged against my card two years ago, CVS Pharmacy said "its not our problem its VISA's problem. The NY City police told me I wasn't the one damaged it is the credit card company and only they can file a complaint. The VISA people said it was my Credit Card's issuer responsibly and my Credit Card company said "Oh we are insured against this"
Old 12-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #8

When we traveled thru Canada on our way to Alaska, we liked that our card never had to leave our hands. The wait staff brought a portable machine to our table and we took care of the entire transaction at our table including the tip. Wish the U.S. would implement this.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
When we traveled thru Canada on our way to Alaska, we liked that our card never had to leave our hands. The wait staff brought a portable machine to our table and we took care of the entire transaction at our table including the tip. Wish the U.S. would implement this.
I have run into a few restaurants that do this, but relatively few. I agree with you. Its about the only time my card leaves my wallet. The wait staff has the card, the number and the "security code" on the back. Sooooo easy for them to copy those numbers and sell them.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been to a Chili's and an Olive Garden that have a device on the table that allows for payment.

Glenn
Old 12-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
The only time I ran into this was at a restaurant in Playa Del Carmen, MX. It's a great idea that should be implemented here in the US, but only if they can get the security of the readers right. I suspect one of the reasons it has not been implemented here is because of differing security standards.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #12

We have Costco Amex and set it for email on any transaction over 10 bucks.

We get email on the phone usually within seconds of use.

So far so good...
Old 12-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #13

From what I have read sometimes a lowlife will charge a small amount say $5 on the stolen credit card number just to show a prospective buyer that the card is good. These CC numbers could have been stolen months and months ago and are bundled and sold maybe several times before they are used.

On one of my cards where there was over $15,000 charged, the thieves were probably a gang because they hit multiple CVS Pharmacies at the same time and made many charges all under $500 all within one hour time frame! I believe there were 27 transactions. The thieves knew exactly when CVS were backing up their computers and the transactions were not being verified with VISA, therefore notice was sent to be until the next day!
Old 12-10-2015, 03:32 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
They don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
The one thing that really bugs me is no body seems to care. When the $15,000+ was charged against my card two years ago, CVS Pharmacy said "its not our problem its VISA's problem. The NY City police told me I wasn't the one damaged it is the credit card company and only they can file a complaint. The VISA people said it was my Credit Card's issuer responsibly and my Credit Card company said "Oh we are insured against this"
I had very similar experience- three occasions. most of the charges were make in California. this is many years ago.

At the time I live in Glendale, Arizona. I call the Glendale Police; They say " the crime didn't occur in our city, ... nothing we can do about it", they recommend I call US treasury and the credit issuer.

I call state of California, attorney general office followed by many certify mail; their response was; "sorry you are having problem with your credit card company" ( note; my problem was not the credit card company, but the thief). They say my problem is so small, they not gonna investigation (in a nicely worded letter).

I call all the creditors; I spend many hour on the phone with them; Their response was. " Don't worry about it, we know there are frauds out there ...you are not the victim...we are the victim - we are the one who take a lost ... send us a notarize affidavits ... explain what happen, that is all... we will investigate". as far as I know, they did nothing.

I spend close to a years to my clean up my credit. I requested all the credit reporting agency to put a statement in my file, WARNING abut the fraud. Six months later, statement was removed automatically. within a year, My credit was ruin again... creditors are constantly ringing me again. and I repeat the same process. ending up with same result... credit card company will issue to just about anyone. What a nightmare !!!

I spend many hours, documenting everything, turn doc to treasury agent... as far as I know, it sit on their shelf collecting dust.

Finally, I give up, I just let the credit issuer give their money... I no longer care. I blocked the all the collection agents number.

Thanks for allowing me to whine.. I feel a tad better now.