Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Home Brew

Anybody here homebrew? I just finished my first batch. It should be ready to try by my shakedown cruise at the end of april in my new rig. Just wanted to know if anyone else shared another common interest!

Sent from my Droid using iRV2 Forum

charlie.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #2

My son used to make home brew but figured out he couldn't drink that much and function.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
homebrew

sounds great------how about a recipe? thanks
Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I home brewed in the past. Made a few ales, but mostly porters and stouts. I finally gave away all of the equipment and have not brewed in 15 to 20 years. 5 gallon batches take a while to disperse.

Also found I could buy good quality beers for less than it cost me to brew them.

Ken
Old 03-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Also found I could buy good quality beers for less than it cost me to brew them.
When our imported Weissbeer went over $30. per case (20 years ago) we decided to try home brewing @ $10. per case. Home brew price is now $13. per and "store bought imported" is $40.+++
As to quality, we now call the imported stuff - "rot gut"....... and the US brands are "dishwater" (even Shiner, Iceman).
Lest we be called alcoholics, a batch is 5 gal or 2 cases. We make an average of 2 batches per year and with the help of friends, it is a years worth.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie.b View Post
Anybody here homebrew? I just finished my first batch. It should be ready to try by my shakedown cruise at the end of april in my new rig. Just wanted to know if anyone else shared another common interest!

Hello fellow brewer. I make both my own beer as well as wine. I usually do about two to three batches of beer a year and two wines a year. Like you, I doing a batch for the first trip out this season. Let us know how your beer turns out! By the way, what style of beer did you do?

2003 Skyline 303C 32ft TT
ffmd212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
I made an Oktoberfest. That was the type that originally got me into beer so I thought it seemed fitting

charlie.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I make Apple Pie, call it the dangerouse drink as it taste sooo good then it hits you, I try the store bought Apple Pie, it was to strong for me.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
I never have brewed my own but my nephew (a pastor) brews some of the best tasting beer I've ever had ...... You could say it's heavenly...
Old 03-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
H.Miller...most of the U.S. beers are garbage. However there are some excellent microbreweries here. Mostly I like the heavier European beers...Guinness Stout, Belgian Ales, and the Pullaner beers.

The problem with making 5 gallons is I like to dring differnt beers and not the same thing week after week. I made some excellent stouts and porters, but most of the Americans like the watered down Lite stuff and you have trouble giving away that much of the good heavier beers so you are stuck with it. I found that not being pasteurized, it does have a shelf life and once over it's prime, was not enjoyable.

With the availability of good foreign beers in the Houston market, I like to make a trip to Spec's and pick up a couple of good beers.

Shiner is under hopped and a bit too sweet for me.

Here's mud in your eye.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been brewing for about 10 years. I put it into 5 gal kegs. I have a homemade kegolator on the patio by the pool, the freezer compartment holds the frozen glasses (plastic). I find a 5 gal keg with the help of friends rarely lasts a month. I have a very good rasberry stout in bottle and plan to bottle a mexican lager today.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #12

Well, I found the 'old' homebrew thread and thought I would toss it out again for discussion- Any full-timers making beer on the road? I will soon be full-time but wife and I will stay mostly in the SE US to be near kids and Drs. I have a recipe for a 'daily drinker' that I call Road Rage, which is basically an English bitter but extra hopped (my weakness).
I have also a plan to do a reverse parti-gyle beer, so that a person would not get bored drinking the same brew all the time. It's fairly simple and I think any batch brewer could grasp the concept.
Just curious if anyone is brewing on the road these days?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #13

I make wine and occassionly have done beer. My best beer was an oatmeal stout recipe I got from Alabrew, a local vendor. They do ship. It was great.

It seems to me that brewing beer in a rv would be tough.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #14

There are a few old threads here about making home brew. A search should find them and how many of us made it then.
I now regret selling my bottle-capping machine, but at the time I was fighting cancer and it was not important.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote