Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Home brewing ??

Ok, I figure the laws very state to state, but what is legal as far as home brewing goes ? I guess beer and wine is ok,,, but moonshine is not ?? Is it the alcohol percentage that makes the difference ? If you consume your own product,, is it illegal ? Heck, I'd drink everything I would produce... On that subject, would someone care to point me to a better than average site to get started in beer brewing ? I like budwieser,, so something like that,,, a new "useful" hobby would be cool... Thanks,,,, Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most places you can brew wine, beer, or just about any type of alcohol that you want except for one and that is moonshine. Even having a still is a problem unless you have it for "educational" purposes. Yes even just making some for yourself could get you in trouble with ATF.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Midwest Brewing Co. And Northern Brewer both have good websites with lots of info. I am currently waiting for my first batch of "American Wheat Ale" to finish fermenting so it can be bottled. Kind of like waiting on my first-born, except it's six weeks and not nine months.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

Thanks. I'll look at those sites. Monkey
Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #5

When prohibition was ended in 1933, the making of wine at home was approved but they forgot homebrewing so it was/is up to the states. Here is a link that tells a little bit about it: Homebrewers Association | Legalization, Laws for Homebrewing. The distilling of spirits is federally controlled, and most importantly, taxed. Bottom line, yes you can but there are a lot of hoops and regulations, see: TTB | TTB.gov Distilled Spirits FAQs. Not withstanding, I really want a still and a good recipe.

Monkey, after you have been brewing for a while, you will discover the difference between "real" beer and "American yellow water". Cheers.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richvkansas View Post
When prohibition was ended in 1933, the making of wine at home was approved but they forgot homebrewing so it was/is up to the states. Here is a link that tells a little bit about it: Homebrewers Association | Legalization, Laws for Homebrewing. The distilling of spirits is federally controlled, and most importantly, taxed. Bottom line, yes you can but there are a lot of hoops and regulations, see: TTB | TTB.gov Distilled Spirits FAQs. Not withstanding, I really want a still and a good recipe.

Monkey, after you have been brewing for a while, you will discover the difference between "real" beer and "American yellow water". Cheers.
Thankyou Very much !! I'll look at that site further ! So far I see I can brew 200 gallons of beer a year,,,, hmmmm... That should get me by at present consumption....
Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvkansas View Post
Not withstanding, I really want a still and a good recipe.
Let me try to add in a doc I have on some brewing. Has some recipes and some info on stills and of course it is for historic purposes only ....
Attached Files
File Type: doc This Information is for Historic purposes.doc (54.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Let me try to add in a doc I have on some brewing. Has some recipes and some info on stills and of course it is for historic purposes only ....
Cool !! Thanks !!! I have the FoxFire series of books,,, if you've ever read them, they explain things quite well,,, all about living off the land, but of course includes "other" things.... Guess I'll start re-reading them....
Old 11-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
That's funny. Some of the "real" books that we kept were the Fox Fire books. Just about all the others went away and/or got bought again for our Kindles when we went full time, thou Thom does not usually re-read books but I do