Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #15

In addition to having an alarm system, I have Kodak Monitor cameras throughout the house and two for outdoor(protected from weather). They connect to my wifi and have talk and talkback feature. Also have a warning notification on an approach to the door. They sell for around 60/70 bucks. Works great and can check with my smart phone or ipad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I would be interested in a security camera system and a motion detector that dials a phone number. If anyone has such a system, it might be something of interest to the OP as well. Catching the losers in the act would be priceless.
Simplisafe makes a package. I don't personally have this...yet. My sister has Simplisafe in her home, but not the cameras. Here's a link FYI:

http://simplisafe.com/
Old 01-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan Trvlr View Post
You may find some valuable answers in the fine print in your home owners policy as to how many hours are allowed between visits by a human to check on the security of the home, even when you have a security system that monitors heat and alerts a monitoring centre if there is smoke or water rising.
My policy requires that the home be occupied within the 180 days preceding the covered loss. But- Does not cover theft of materials while home is under construction.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #18

Research Piper, it is a networked device that allows you to monitor your house from anywhere that you can use your phone or computer. It is a camera, alarm, monitors room temp. motion, sound. When it is armed it takes short video, or pics. Stores it on the web for later viewing or sending to the police.
You can turn on lights, you can set switchs to turn on and off. It is expandable up to five units. If an alarm or perameter is met it will text, or email you and or a list of contacts that you set. Check it out, I also use wireless tags to monitor temps water leaks or motion it is also wifi, more details if you're interested.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
My policy requires that the home be occupied within the 180 days preceding the covered loss. But- Does not cover theft of materials while home is under construction.
For that you would need a "Builder's Risk" policy. Even then, some companies don't cover certain materials on site.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledon View Post
Simplisafe makes a package. I don't personally have this...yet. My sister has Simplisafe in her home, but not the cameras. Here's a link FYI:

Home Security Systems from SimpliSafe

We installed the Simplisafe system in our daughters apartment when she was in college. Didn't do the monitoring, and they weren't offering cameras at the time, that is a recent addition to their line, but we were very happy with the system. We uninstalled it when she left the apartment, and will install it in our modular home (downsizing from the 4400 square foot house we are currently in) if we can ever get Clayton Homes of Louisville, KY to FINISH the house . . . Supposed to be completed on 31 May 2016! 5 months now without a worker on site . . . but that's another story, for another thread. It's up to the attorneys now, and Clayton wonders why we won't pay them the 50% remaining on the purchase price?!?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
For vacations away from home, I turn the water off to the refrigerator ice maker, toilets, washing machine. Water Heater timer changed to be on about 30 minutes every day, AC Thermostat up a couple of degrees. I'm on a well with pressurized storage tank. Power off to the well pump once the tank is full. At least if anything else breaks the amount of water leaked will be the capacity of the tank. I learned the hard way to turn the water off to the ice maker. Water fill solenoid failed overnight while I was sleeping. I just happened to wake in the middle of the night and walked into the kitchen to get a drink of water. In the dark, and knew something was wrong when my feet were splashing in water. Water under the cabinets and under / through the wall to the garage. Luckily I shut it off before it reached the wood floors in Living and Dining Rooms. If we had been on vacation I would have incurred many thousands of dollars in damage. Hope to have a Class A soon and tour the country again.

Ken Brewer
The Brews Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have two "Fake TV" at home when we are gone. One in our TV room and the other in our guest house. From the outside, behind translucent shades or on second story...it looks EXACTLY like a TV is on.

We have it on a timer and it also has a dusk-to-dawn feature. Go to FakeTV - The Burglar Deterrent We have FTV-10.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #23

What a great thread. Many things we haven't thought of on here.

I wonder if it would be wise to turn off all breakers except fridge? We can turn off water at the well too. Drain hoses in case of freeze which in N.Florida is usually not that long or bad.
Pappystoy is offline   Reply With Quote