Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #15

We are on our second CRV...it's an '07....towed it 10,000+ last year....has 70,000 on odometer (last one had 140,000)...carefree ownership....low to mid 20s for gas mileage...great car for the money...yes, ours transmits lots of tire noise, especially after the tires have over 20,000 miles on them
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Honda owner for 20+ years. Have owned several accords, CRV's and pilots.

Relying on the dash readout we see 24-26 mpg pushing real hard 70+ mph and 26-30 if you lay back under 70 mph.

Using a synthetic oil should gain you about 1-1.5 mpg. Road noise is an issue especially if you buy high milage (hard rubber) replacment tires.

Towing four down has never been an issue with the CRV or Accords. You may want to run the engine for a few minutes if you stop for lunch on a long haul day, it does help.

After many Honda's the one thing they just don't get, is where to put the cup holders, regardless of the model.

Enjoy!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #17

1998 CRV, 23.45 MPG, averaged over 22,837 driven miles.
726.5 gallons of gas
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
The 2011 4X4 we have gets about 23 in city driving and 27 or so at highway speeds. I've gotten above 30 when driving a mellow 55 mph.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
24 to 28 mpg with our AWD CR-V. Great toad. Hardly know it is behind the MH. Also a great 2nd car & easy to get into an out of. As you age...can be important. LoL!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
We just per chased ours a few weeks ago. So far 24.5 in town and 29.5 highway. Combined mileage is 27.5. It is a replacement for our Suzuki XL-7 which was ok but the mileage was poor and the tank was small which made for frequent fuel stops.

So far the CR-V has been great. No road noise issues. Good, stable ride. And, most important, DW loves it.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems later models have checked the road noise which makes the CR-V close to perfect in my book. We will get another when ours 85,000 road miles 30,000 toad miles trouble free, needs to be replaced.

No time soon.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
04 CR-V mId twenties mileage. Road noise (compared to other vehicles which are heavier). This has been noted by Consumer Reports. Wife would like a little better view out the back while backing up.

Other wise it is a gem which is consistently rated a "best buy".

The CR-V is generally rated as having the highest resale value, highest saftey and crash test ratings.

Silky smooth engine and transmission, roomy, efficient layout, they come in enough styles and models and cost so you can get a basic version or a more deck out model. I think the newer ones offer a back up camera.

Tows great. We will get another when we wear this one out many years from now.

Agree, a "gem" but I would expect nothing else from Honda. Our 2011 2wd averages high 20s for all types of driving.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased a 2009 CRV 4WD and also get 24-28 mpg as many have stated. No one has mentioned the great automatic 4WD option that is available on the CRV. Its not an AWD in that it drives thru only the front wheels, until it senses the need to power the rear wheels. I just went thru my second winter in Montana, this thing really does well in the snow and cold. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this car for purchase.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #24

Only real problem I have had with my 03 crv is the AC.Compressor distructs contaminating the entire system leading to a $3000 to $4000 repair bill.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Only real problem I have had with my 03 crv is the AC.Compressor distructs contaminating the entire system leading to a $3000 to $4000 repair bill.
X2 on our 2001. Last summer in TX the compressor disintegrated and sent bits throughout the system. Honda in San Antonio charged us $3K after knocking off a couple hundred because he "felt bad" about it costing so much...Suggest the OP try out a couple of CR-V owner web sites to see how prevalent this condition is. Perhaps the newer compressors are better, but if not, sinking 3K into car repair isn't cost effective. We did it because we figured we couldn't sell a car in the southwest these days without A/C. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #26

My compressor blew up too, but it didn't cost anywhere near 3000, or even 2000. to fix it. There's a guy on Ebay selling the entire parts kit (compressor, condensor, evaporator, expansion valve, 2 lines, etc.) for 500. shipped. I would offer that people are being way overcharged for this work. I'm 61, tall, fat, and lazy, and I changed the entire thing out with no special tools by myself in a day. Yes, I do most of my own work, and I'm familiar with the procedure to evacuate and recharge an AC system - but that skill is not that unique. Smaller shops should be able to do this job for much less than what people are being charged.

I would definetly make sure the AC is working on the Gen2 (01-05?) CR-V I was thinking of purchasing though! It is a common problem!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #27

I did not use the dealer for a discounted$3500.A local shop did it for $1800.As far as doing it myself I have replaced motors in cars so I am probably able.Not having an appropriate place to work does affect my decision to let someone else do it.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #28

We just bought a 2012 CRV with all bells & whistles except Navi. We bought it solely because it was towable 4 down. I had never really wanted one, but agreed to look at it because it is towable. (Had looked at a Ford Escape, but decided against it.....glad we did!!). We traded in a 2010 Mercedes GLK 350. This had to be trailered and couldn't be modified with a Remco pump. Much to my surprise, I LOVE the CRV. It feels & drives great. The Mercedes doesn't hold a candle to the CRV. I plan on having this car for a long, long time. Also, we get mileage in the middle to high 20's as stated by others.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2007 Mandalay Valencia 38c
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox & Air Force One
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote