Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 12:55 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Honey is that our wheel?

We wish we had a camera focused on us when the DW and I looked at each other saying "That's weird, what the [Moderator Edit] is that ... that looks like one of our tires ... oh [Moderator Edit], it is!"

This was one of those Oh [Moderator Edit] moments. We were going through the far right EZPASS lane at 5 MPH. While braking, we see a tire rolling by us that looks an awful lot like one of the tires from our car trailer!

The tire rolled in front of the RV, then hit the barrier, rolled through the toll and came to rest against the barrier.

"Oh crap, that's one of our tires!" First quick glance at the backup camera showed the spare was still mounted ... not good. We rolled through the toll, pulled into the breakdown lane and sure enough, the drivers side rear tire sheared off at the hub - all 5 lug nuts still in place.

This was about 400 miles into our trip tonight. We were pulling through the toll on I-90 NY heading towards Niagara Falls.

Just to let you all know ... Axles and wheel bearings were done last summer, pre-trip checks include tire pressure checks, checking for wheel play, as well as pulling axle caps to make sure they are greased well and adding grease to the zerks as needed.

I also perform visual inspections, check car straps and most times will temp test all 10 tires and 8 hubs when stopped or filling with fuel. As it turns out tonight, I did not temp check any tires or hubs as we were again travelling in *heavy* rains. Guess I need to not be such a baby when it's raining hard and make sure I temp test whenever I stop - pouring rain or not!

My guess is that somewhere along the run tonight the wheel bearings gave out and when I applied the brakes to slow to 5MPH through the toll booth, the hub just had enough and let go.

It wasn't funny and I am so glad we are safe ... but it was kinda' funny like a movie - seeing a wheel roll right in front of you. There's nothing we can do about it but take a deep breath, be happy we were at low speed and laugh about it.

I called Coach Net to get us a tow, but as it turns out - because we were on the NY State Thruway, Coach-Net could not send a tow truck. We had to call the State Police who sent a Highway Licensed tow truck to get us off the highway. Once off the highway, we could call Coach-Net back to have them pickup the trailer. As it turns out, the State Highway tow driver recommended that I just strap up the axle on that side and get off the highway. We were actually looking at our exit when this happened.

This was a great idea, and saved us out of pocket money. Yes, this tow operator did get a $20 tip for his suggestion and honesty. We safely traveled the 15 miles to our destination with 3 wheels on the car trailer. The DW following behind me in the car.

Tomorrow I'll call around and see if I can find a shop to perform repairs. We're staying at the KOA Niagara Falls/Grand Island - and they close for the season on Tuesday. I'm here for work through the weekend, so hopefully we'll be back on the road before they close for the season.

I'm just so glad we were not at speed when this happened....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	missing wheel.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	142135   Click image for larger version

Name:	uh oh.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	142136  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uh oh 2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	142137   Click image for larger version

Name:	toll booth.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	142138  

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 01:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow you are lucky it came off where it did!

I'm curious how you will make out with your insurance company, I wonder if that is covered by it.

I had a rear inside dual tire blow out and do $12,000 worth of damage and the insurance company covered it.

Might be worth asking.

I've stayed at that KOA, it was $90 a night many years ago, how much now?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:46 AM   #3

OMG!! That's really very dangerous. You're really lucky to be safe. Please make sure your tires and vehicle are in good shape before starting up. However, this is the first time I'm hearing something of this sort. You sure need to talk to your insurance company about it. And please do check on to your tires before you start off. 4 Ways To Make Your Car Tires Last | Service Plus 416 : Toronto Automotive Garage Here's something you can use. Make sure your tires have the right air pressure, rotate them well and also make sure the balance is right. Do be careful and drive safe.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. Glad no one was hurt. Bet it was strange to see a tire traveling without you. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:36 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
We wish we had a camera focused on us when the DW and I looked at each other saying "That's weird, what the [Moderator Edit] is that ... that looks like one of our tires ... oh [Moderator Edit], it is!"

This was one of those Oh [Moderator Edit] moments. We were going through the far right EZPASS lane at 5 MPH. While braking, we see a tire rolling by us that looks an awful lot like one of the tires from our car trailer!

The tire rolled in front of the RV, then hit the barrier, rolled through the toll and came to rest against the barrier.

"Oh crap, that's one of our tires!" First quick glance at the backup camera showed the spare was still mounted ... not good. We rolled through the toll, pulled into the breakdown lane and sure enough, the drivers side rear tire sheared off at the hub - all 5 lug nuts still in place.

This was about 400 miles into our trip tonight. We were pulling through the toll on I-90 NY heading towards Niagara Falls.

Just to let you all know ... Axles and wheel bearings were done last summer, pre-trip checks include tire pressure checks, checking for wheel play, as well as pulling axle caps to make sure they are greased well and adding grease to the zerks as needed.

I also perform visual inspections, check car straps and most times will temp test all 10 tires and 8 hubs when stopped or filling with fuel. As it turns out tonight, I did not temp check any tires or hubs as we were again travelling in *heavy* rains. Guess I need to not be such a baby when it's raining hard and make sure I temp test whenever I stop - pouring rain or not!

My guess is that somewhere along the run tonight the wheel bearings gave out and when I applied the brakes to slow to 5MPH through the toll booth, the hub just had enough and let go.

It wasn't funny and I am so glad we are safe ... but it was kinda' funny like a movie - seeing a wheel roll right in front of you. There's nothing we can do about it but take a deep breath, be happy we were at low speed and laugh about it.

I called Coach Net to get us a tow, but as it turns out - because we were on the NY State Thruway, Coach-Net could not send a tow truck. We had to call the State Police who sent a Highway Licensed tow truck to get us off the highway. Once off the highway, we could call Coach-Net back to have them pickup the trailer. As it turns out, the State Highway tow driver recommended that I just strap up the axle on that side and get off the highway. We were actually looking at our exit when this happened.

This was a great idea, and saved us out of pocket money. Yes, this tow operator did get a $20 tip for his suggestion and honesty. We safely traveled the 15 miles to our destination with 3 wheels on the car trailer. The DW following behind me in the car.

Tomorrow I'll call around and see if I can find a shop to perform repairs. We're staying at the KOA Niagara Falls/Grand Island - and they close for the season on Tuesday. I'm here for work through the weekend, so hopefully we'll be back on the road before they close for the season.

I'm just so glad we were not at speed when this happened....
One of the functions of my tire minder TPMS ( tire pressure monitoring system) is that it also gives you the temperature of the tire and send an alarm to the receiver. If a caliper were to fail it would heat up the tire as well, in the op case it would be the axel bearing causing the heat. I have 6 transmitters on the MH and 4 on the toad.

I have often heard of the senerio like another poster of an inside dual tire fail and take out thousands of $$ of coach in the process. Truckers don't really care and leave rubber all over every road to get the most out of their tire. If im going down the road and pick up a nail or something I want to know if a tire is loosing pressure and stop.

Once traveling in the heat of a sunny hot Florida summer we went thru a heavy downpour that cooled off a tire quickly and sent an quick pressure loss alarm. I stop to check the pressure on the monitor and all was well. These TPMS are great technology.
Safety first.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:37 AM   #6

Did you do the bearing service, or did you have it done? I bought a trailer second hand and the seller told me it had just been serviced. When I got it home, I pulled the wheels and bearings. All were good accept one. The inside bearing was seized to the axle and 3 of the roller bearings were missing and the race was frozen to the bearing as well. What a problem this would have caused going down the road under a load. This was a job poorly done. But sometimes, things just wear out!
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #7

The other 3 hubs need checked as well. I think that you have one of two problems, either the service was poor or the cheap Chinese wheel bearings failed. I replaced all of my bearings with made in USA Timken parts after seeing and measuring the cheap junk.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
IC2

Now that was lucky. Glad all is well and hopefully you can find a repair shop to fix it at a reasonable price to get back home.

Too bad that you also had to find out that the NY Thruway has some strange rules.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Wow you are lucky it came off where it did!

I'm curious how you will make out with your insurance company, I wonder if that is covered by it.

I had a rear inside dual tire blow out and do $12,000 worth of damage and the insurance company covered it.

Might be worth asking.

I've stayed at that KOA, it was $90 a night many years ago, how much now?
Hi Arch ... I will reach out to insurance today, but as there was no damage - except to the axle - my guess is that it will not be covered.

We've been here to the KOA before as well ... $80 per night (less 10% discount) for the premium site.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickelhead View Post
Did you do the bearing service, or did you have it done? I bought a trailer second hand and the seller told me it had just been serviced. When I got it home, I pulled the wheels and bearings. All were good accept one. The inside bearing was seized to the axle and 3 of the roller bearings were missing and the race was frozen to the bearing as well. What a problem this would have caused going down the road under a load. This was a job poorly done. But sometimes, things just wear out!
All 4 wheel bearings were professionally done last summer. While that is something I am capable of doing, there are just some things that I prefer to pay a professional for.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
The other 3 hubs need checked as well. I think that you have one of two problems, either the service was poor or the cheap Chinese wheel bearings failed. I replaced all of my bearings with made in USA Timken parts after seeing and measuring the cheap junk.
I just dropped it off at a local service place. We're definitely going to need a new axle - it's likely a dexter axle, so getting it shouldn't be a big ordeal.

They are most definitely going to check the other 3 wheels and perform any service that may be needed.

My initial impression is that it was just a bad (or cheap) part that failed.

Sometimes things break ...
Old 10-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
One of the functions of my tire minder TPMS ( tire pressure monitoring system) is that it also gives you the temperature of the tire and send an alarm to the receiver. If a caliper were to fail it would heat up the tire as well, in the op case it would be the axel bearing causing the heat. I have 6 transmitters on the MH and 4 on the toad.
A TPMS system has been on my want's list for a while. It has now moved to the top of my needs list!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
OH NO.....

We had similar a couple years ago, axle broke on the car tow dolly. Darn lucky the run-away wheel didn't cause an accident..... We didn't even notice it, no thumps, bumps, bangs, nothing. A LOT of showering sparks in the rear view mirror and a lot of language that the moderator will delete from this post... :-)

I have since installed TPMS on the dolly wheels and the Toads rear wheels.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
2Labs, you dodged a bullet on that one for sure!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote