Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #29

I think we can all agree that those of us that have been fortunate enough to travel this grand land of ours have a much more refined perspective of what we see and off people we meet. My guesses is that the people who answered the poll have never left the city they are in and have formed their opinions of other states based on tv and Facebook.

Jmho, I am not a native American but I became a citizen as quickly as I could!

Steve

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #30

Having lived in 11 states, 5 countries (including Canada) and traveled a bit in all but Japan and South America, my experience is you'll find ignorant people everywhere. Fortunately, they are few and far between (except in Paris).
As for Kansas, there are some really beautiful areas, which will draw us back next year (Council Grove particularly).
I like 'em all and find most people I encounter to be no different than most of us. We all want to be left without interference to peacefully live our lives as best we can.

Here's to everyone everywhere

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #31

I think that everybody's opinion of the other states is mostly based on media, TV, and movies. The news media mostly highlights the bad and TV and movies sensationalize the extremes in situations. I never really knew that New York was anything other than NYC until I spent a few days on a motorcycle in upstate NY. I think that New York was probably the prettiest of all the New England states that we toured.
As a native Mississippian, I probably have a cynical view of this. My state is rarely mentioned by the national media in a positive light. We are only mentioned when we are last in a poll, and are only portrayed on TV and movies as backwards, racist, and rednecks which is far from the truth for most Mississippians.

Il tell you a brief story to highlight this, a couple of years ago, we were vacationing in Aruba. We took a half day sailing and snorkeling cruise with many other people. Toward the end of the cruise several of us were gathered on the bow of the boat talking and I was explaining a little history of the area to my wife and our traveling companions. There was a young couple with a pre teen daughter nearby listening and the young girl became very interested and asked many questions and really became the center of the group. As we came in to dock, I asked where she was from, she said Brooklyn NY. She asked if I was from Texas because of the accent and I told her no, I am from Mississippi. She physically recoiled from me and ran to her mother. I was confused but couldn't let it go, I walked over to the three of them and asked why, the young girl sheepishly replied that " you're from Ms, you hang people like me" the couple was Hispanic. I looked at the mother and she was confused and then said, " we recently watched Ms Burning on TV". I assured the young girl that that was a movie about something that happened a long time ago but I'm not sure she believed me
Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #32

Wow. That goes back to parents also being ignorant. Whole other topic haha
Old 08-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #33

I was born in Brooklyn, NY, moved to Long Island and finally to New Jersey. After I graduated in 1960 I joined the Navy and went on the roam until 1991 when I returned stateside to care for my ill mother. Been in the northeast since.
I don't really like what's going on up here and often wonder if we'd not be better off if the CSA had won the war (excluding the Slavery issue). Seems the Southerners and some of the western states, especially Wyoming, have a way of life more agreeable to me.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
davidjc, I must admit, the next time I buy a motorhome, I want to take a test drive across Louisiana on I-10. Any suspension that can smooth out that road , has got to be the worlds best.
I'm telling you. The national traffic safety commission could not build a better test track than the interstates going through Louisiana. If you survive our teeter-totter, up and down bouncing, you have a winner RV. "Written with humor in mind"
davidjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #35

I'm from Texas and proud to be a Texan , the only people I truly don't like is where you say good morning to and get no response from them
Where in Texas we open all doors for women , car doors too
Since 1979 , started working I have seen and herd a lot of Nothern people with strange accents come to Texas, most needed a job , where they were work was scarce

We treat people the way we would want to be treated , as a adult (53) if. Woman ask me a question , it's always Yes Mam , No Mam or Thank You Mam , being polite and nice does not cost any more

Me and DW have been on 7 cruises , one we went out of Miami in February and it was Michigan area winter break , I never had so many doors not held for the next person! A lot of rude people on the boat , some nice people also
We concluded that being in the cold all time does something to your demeanor

Most true Texans will tell you where there from , and how can i help you.
and we can tell people who are full of it , " All Hat and no cattle "

Depending where the people where in the survey , where they have traveled
Will depend on there answer

My wife flew in to John Wayne international airport , the young lady that met her lived in California , my wife and I love the Duke .
She started asking the girl what she like about John Wayne , the girl had no clue who he was! Does that mean everyone in California is stupid ?

I am so glad people are proud where they live or come from , end of the day we are all Americans , some with a lil more outspoken than others

Camping in our TT I've never met a rude RV ER camping
But we only been in Texas and Oklahoma
Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #36

I lived in Broken Arrow, OK for 5 years and loved it. Spent a lot of time in the Arlington, TX area where I had a factory, Houston and Galveston and loved it too. I could go on about many places but you get the idea.

And I have met a few rude and inconsiderate RVers.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfloyd View Post
I'm from Texas and proud to be a Texan , the only people I truly don't like is where you say good morning to and get no response from them
Where in Texas we open all doors for women , car doors too
Since 1979 , started working I have seen and herd a lot of Nothern people with strange accents come to Texas, most needed a job , where they were work was scarce

We treat people the way we would want to be treated , as a adult (53) if. Woman ask me a question , it's always Yes Mam , No Mam or Thank You Mam , being polite and nice does not cost any more

Me and DW have been on 7 cruises , one we went out of Miami in February and it was Michigan area winter break , I never had so many doors not held for the next person! A lot of rude people on the boat , some nice people also
We concluded that being in the cold all time does something to your demeanor

Most true Texans will tell you where there from , and how can i help you.
and we can tell people who are full of it , " All Hat and no cattle "

Depending where the people where in the survey , where they have traveled
Will depend on there answer

My wife flew in to John Wayne international airport , the young lady that met her lived in California , my wife and I love the Duke .
She started asking the girl what she like about John Wayne , the girl had no clue who he was! Does that mean everyone in California is stupid ?

I am so glad people are proud where they live or come from , end of the day we are all Americans , some with a lil more outspoken than others

Camping in our TT I've never met a rude RV ER camping
But we only been in Texas and Oklahoma
Well said! I'm fifth generation Texan born and Texan proud. I don't think I'm better than anybody and I know from my own travels ( and I've been around the country a time or two) you can find rudeness in lots of places including my beloved state. That being said most Texans are genuine and very nice people. The only thing negative I say about our state is don't visit in the summer unless you like 102 in the shade!
Old 08-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
davidjc, I must admit, the next time I buy a motorhome, I want to take a test drive across Louisiana on I-10. Any suspension that can smooth out that road , has got to be the worlds best.
We came across I-10 last month,my dog usually lays on the floor and after thar trip he won't get back in the motorhome.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We did the same thing last month. Abbey rarely gets on the furniture but I20 was soooo bad she got on the couch and we have air suspension! Can't imagine a coach with regular springs going over that stretch of hiway. I had to slow down to 55 to keep from bouncing everything out of the cabinets.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If all the states and all the people looked and spoke the same this would be a sad place to live.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #41

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I meet a pole vaulter once I didn't like!
Also I have never meet a woman I didn't like!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I liked my friends banana pudding. He was from Oklahoma.