Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How American Feel About The States - 2013

Interesting opinions on different states.

Being a Jayhawker from Kansas, I certainly can understand why Kansas is the most voted on worse scenery. Colorado, the most beautiful. I lived in Colorado for many years as well, and agree, but also love the Seattle area and the Glacier National Park in Montana....never been, but saw pictures, looks beautiful!

Louisiana some of the best food in the country, and I love their food for sure! Cajun cookin, seafood, you name it!

Texas least favorite state and most favored to be kicked out of the country. I didn't know Texas was so low rated. The people here are some of the best in the country I've met. Must be Governor Goodhair.

Anyway, this is an interesting poll results.

POLL: How Americans Feel About The States - Business Insider

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

I'm interested in polls for one reason; do you, or anyone you know, who has a cousins uncle or sister-in-law(you know the speil) actually know anyone who has been approached for such a poll? IMO,All it take to be a pollster is to make a EWAG(estimated wild axx guess) guess and claim it is the result of a poll.
That said, I have not opened your link because my security software will not allow the link to open.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They talk to 100 people and from this they say "10 million people feel this way".. or some such (Numbers made up for this post, do not reflect reality).

Frankly ALL states have both beauty and... Not so much beauty parts.. I have yet to visit a state I did not like.

However that said. Texas is not the most likely state to be thrown out.. (Though I can't blame many Americans for wanting to get rid of at least a FEW texans. NO I will not name). But there is a movement within Texas (And it's spreading to other states) to seceed from the union.

Sort of like the boss/employee chat

You're Fired
You can't fire me cause I just quit.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We like all 57 States. Every State has its own beauty. Sometimes it may be hard to find like in North Dakota. but it is there. safe travels ed
Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

I know a few states we need to get a return to sender on
Old 08-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
We like all 57 States. Every State has its own beauty. Sometimes it may be hard to find like in North Dakota. but it is there. safe travels ed
57 ???
And if Texas is so bad, why is everybody moving here??? On second thought,, Texas is a [moderator edit] hole, so please stay where your at !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

I'm with them on dumping Texas... but take the Hill Country out first
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #8

57???

I don't know, our daughter has been in Texas for the last 5 yrs & loves it there.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #9

Texas

Why would anyone want to kick Texas out of the Union . I'am a fourth generation Texan and proud of it. I would be even more pleased if we just kept our oil and gas reserves, our chemical plants, our historic ranches that produce so much of your nations beef, the big timber companies, and all the other great industries that help keep the USA afloat every day. So just kick us out and remember the Alamo, we fought for it once and we will do it again!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #10

I hope ya'll don't mind but just to give you a little different perspective on the question and add in "how do Canadians think about the United States?". We are not yet the snowbird variety Canadian but travel extensively throughout your great and vast country. One reason why we travel mostly in the states is due to the gass prices. At $5.20/gal, our MH and toad have not seen Canadian gas for the past 2 years. A couple times a year we travel from Winnipeg, visiting friends along the way, to our destination in South Carolina and each state that we travel through has it's own special beauty. Some things we have noticed; North Dakota and Northern Minn (north of Brainard) might as well be Canadian. Same general attitudes, they even use "eh" when they are speaking and both sides have the attitude, "why do we even have border crossings here". We go down on the weekends for the cheap beer and smokes ($12 or less doz compared to $30/doz in Canada). And many of the youth in these states cut their bar teeth in our country for the drinking age is 18. And on that note, in another survey North Dakota had the highest consumption of beer/person in the USA. What the survey didn't include is that there is a Canadian city of 800,000, 60 miles from the border that has a great thurst for far cheaper beer. Being a prairie boy at heart, travelling down I29 is like being at home except for the fact that your roads are so much better. The badlands of South Dakota are breath taking, The miles and miles of corn fields in Nebraska blowing with the prairie winds are a sight to see, the rolling hills of Iowa and Indiana make for an interesting drive (friendly people in southern Illinois, stay away from the Chicago hub when we're in the MH with toad). We always stop around Kansas City for some BBQ and then compare it to the BBQ at our next stop in St.Louis (one thing though is stay off I70 a few days before and a few days after if there has been a Nascar race in the area for it seems as if there are those that use it for practise). Southern Missuori into Arkansas is incredible. Lots of ups and downs that keep you awake behind the wheel as you look at the beauty of the country side. The drive in Tennesee keeps you awake and how can one not stop in Menphis and Nashville. Also nothing like seeing million dollar ponies running across the bluegrass farms in Kentuckey, Camping along the streams in the hills/mountains of West Virginia and North Carolina (the people are almost as laid back as we Canadians), and how can you go wrong with the relaxed atmosphere and golf in South Carolina? Not to mention being in Georgia for peach picking season and fresh peacon pie. Now I know I missed a few states (and this was just from our last adventure) but generally speaking the friendliness of the people we met on our travels keep us coming back. We've made many lifetime friends on our journeys and many have come to visit us up north (only a couple though that have wanted to see what -40 was all about). Between our two countries we have every beauty from mountains to deserts, oceans to paraire, lakes, rivers, forests, culture, intersting cuisine, and friendly people to share it with. And aother thing we have both in common, Federal governments that keep our heads shaking (sorry about the political jab, plus being Canadian had to work a "sorry" in here somewhere.) So I hope you have kind feelings to all of your states for I know we do.
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmydolphin View Post
I hope ya'll don't mind but just to give you a little different perspective on the question and add in "how do Canadians think about the United States?". We are not yet the snowbird variety Canadian but travel extensively throughout your great and vast country. One reason why we travel mostly in the states is due to the gass prices. At $5.20/gal, our MH and toad have not seen Canadian gas for the past 2 years. A couple times a year we travel from Winnipeg, visiting friends along the way, to our destination in South Carolina and each state that we travel through has it's own special beauty. Some things we have noticed; North Dakota and Northern Minn (north of Brainard) might as well be Canadian. Same general attitudes, they even use "eh" when they are speaking and both sides have the attitude, "why do we even have border crossings here". We go down on the weekends for the cheap beer and smokes ($12 or less doz compared to $30/doz in Canada). And many of the youth in these states cut their bar teeth in our country for the drinking age is 18. And on that note, in another survey North Dakota had the highest consumption of beer/person in the USA. What the survey didn't include is that there is a Canadian city of 800,000, 60 miles from the border that has a great thurst for far cheaper beer. Being a prairie boy at heart, travelling down I29 is like being at home except for the fact that your roads are so much better. The badlands of South Dakota are breath taking, The miles and miles of corn fields in Nebraska blowing with the prairie winds are a sight to see, the rolling hills of Iowa and Indiana make for an interesting drive (friendly people in southern Illinois, stay away from the Chicago hub when we're in the MH with toad). We always stop around Kansas City for some BBQ and then compare it to the BBQ at our next stop in St.Louis (one thing though is stay off I70 a few days before and a few days after if there has been a Nascar race in the area for it seems as if there are those that use it for practise). Southern Missuori into Arkansas is incredible. Lots of ups and downs that keep you awake behind the wheel as you look at the beauty of the country side. The drive in Tennesee keeps you awake and how can one not stop in Menphis and Nashville. Also nothing like seeing million dollar ponies running across the bluegrass farms in Kentuckey, Camping along the streams in the hills/mountains of West Virginia and North Carolina (the people are almost as laid back as we Canadians), and how can you go wrong with the relaxed atmosphere and golf in South Carolina? Not to mention being in Georgia for peach picking season and fresh peacon pie. Now I know I missed a few states (and this was just from our last adventure) but generally speaking the friendliness of the people we met on our travels keep us coming back. We've made many lifetime friends on our journeys and many have come to visit us up north (only a couple though that have wanted to see what -40 was all about). Between our two countries we have every beauty from mountains to deserts, oceans to paraire, lakes, rivers, forests, culture, intersting cuisine, and friendly people to share it with. And aother thing we have both in common, Federal governments that keep our heads shaking (sorry about the political jab, plus being Canadian had to work a "sorry" in here somewhere.) So I hope you have kind feelings to all of your states for I know we do.
Leave it to the Canadian to be a Gentleman ....
Old 08-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #12

I always believed that New Jersey was the most weirdest state, especially in south Jersey. Even with the high divorce rate the laws of that state say she still remains your sister.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #13

We should of kept Canada after War of 1812. It would of raised the average IQ of the US and gave us something worth bragging about to the world.
Helotes2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by augar boy View Post
Why would anyone want to kick Texas out of the Union . I'am a fourth generation Texan and proud of it. I would be even more pleased if we just kept our oil and gas reserves, our chemical plants, our historic ranches that produce so much of your nations beef, the big timber companies, and all the other great industries that help keep the USA afloat every day. So just kick us out and remember the Alamo, we fought for it once and we will do it again!
I've lived in 18 states and two foreign countries, and spent years traveling for business in a bunch more states. (Including living in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.) In all of the places I've lived or visited, I've met a lot of very good people. People who are always welcome in my house. And I've met some serious scumbags - arrogant, ignorant, stupid, and/or bigoted. I.e. a wide range of people.

One characteristic that I find very grating is ethnocentrism - the belief that one's culture is the best, to the exclusion of other cultures. I.e. it's the best because... it's the best. Most of that comes from lack of eperience with other cultures.

Regarding why Texas is disliked and the question:
Quote:
Why would anyone want to kick Texas out of the Union .
Here's the answer:
Quote:
... I'am a fourth generation Texan and proud of it. I would be even more pleased if we just kept our oil and gas reserves, our chemical plants, our historic ranches that produce so much of your nations beef, the big timber companies, and all the other great industries that help keep the USA afloat every day. So just kick us out and remember the Alamo, we fought for it once and we will do it again!
Texas has a proud history and I've met some super nice Texans, but that "I'm better than you" attitude grates on people. There are MANY other places that are equally good or better.

You think Texas industry is the best? I live in Bellevue, Washington. Within 6 miles of my house are the largest software company and largest retailer in the world. Several billionaires live within three miles of my house.

The Seattle area is home to hundreds of thousands of people whose parents and grandparents came from other countries, and brought their culture and food with them. Want good food? Come to Seattle and the surrounding area. Awesome food.

And then we have the weather. Seattle was recently voted as having the nicest summers in the US. The summer weather rarely gets into the 90's and daytime highs are typically in the 70's. Nights are in the 50's and low 60's - good sleeping weather. Yes it's dreary in the winter, but it rarely snows and freezes like most places I've lived. When you're trying to ride your bicycle when it's 103 degrees (Dallas), that's painful. The day I left Dallas for the last time, the high was projected to be 109.

Want some great Pizza? Try New York and Chicago (deep dish!!!). Washington has some awesome scenery, but try Glacier National Park in Montana or Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado (I've been to both). Absolutely amazing. Like Dim Sum? There's an awesome little restaurant in Boston. Likewise Chinatown in San Francisco has some great Chinese food restaurants. Ever been to Second City in Chicago? Best comedy I've ever seen!

There are many, many awesome places in the US. I happen to live in one of them. And they have many, many great people. I know a few of them. Unlike some (not even most) folks in Texas, people in the other places don't constantly brag about how superior they are. That's why people dislike Texas.

Dan.