Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How bad is it in a MH when a bad storm hits?

Hello you full timers,

I have a question about what happens in the MH when a storm hits. Do the MH's rock back and forth, have you had issues with trees hitting the MH? Is there something you do to bat down the hatches?

Just wondering with some of the storms that hit around the house how much worse it is in a MH.

Thank you ahead of time, Lynne

beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Pulled the slides in and all was well. Buckets of sideways rain was not the problem ... Just had to deal with the wind, that's all. <Part of the Adventure!> \ken

Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Pull the slides in, jacks down, adjust the jacks a little high in front or rear for better runoff. If lightning I pull the 50amp and disconnect the water hose.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
With jacks down not much movement in strong wind gusts. Not a big issue at all if you're not under trees and falling branches. As 336muffin suggests, best to disconnect for the duration of the storm, even with an EMS!.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes it will rock a bit in the wind,, But as noted pull in sides and Awning for greater stability ALWAYS STOW THE AWNING IN A HIGH WIND.

Trees hitting it can be an issue, less you are here at Cathead Creek where the nearest tree is several football fields away. (I like this park but SHADE... not in abundance, other features more than make up for it though).

Now, I sometimes tell of how the Internet was yacking about the 14MPG motor home and sure enough, this 38' class A was doing 13.8 on the old MPG calculation.... How did I manage that.. Well I had a bit of a push.

Seems the tumble weeds were going down the road right close to 100MPH.. I mean STRAIGHT down the road (So I had a 100 mph wind up my tail Directly up my tail) Had it been any other angle I'd have parked.. But I did park that night, 90 mph with gusts to 110.. So much wind they feathered the wind farm next to the RV park (Turbines not turning). Now that was one fun night cause you HAVE to put out at least one slide on this beast to sleep.

But with the jacks down.. Held.

As for trees falling on it.. Had one hit my house (Sticks and bricks) as well. It happens.

One advantage of a motor home.... Daughter's Godfather.. During an ice storm a tree dropped a limb through the drop to his house.. Pulling the wires down, So he was out cutting up same tree for firewood to heat his house via fireplaces (old house had 'em all over).. Cussing the tree with every swing of the axe..... (More later)

In a Motor home when that happens I push a couple buttons and power is restored.. Ok , generator power, but still restored.

The rest of the tree story.

later that afternoon a high tension line snapped and fell across the drop to his neighbor's house, Sending thousands of volts to the electrical fixtures and appliances in all the houses in his neighborhood.... Save for his (Since the wires were down) Blew holes in fuse boxes, shattered electric range elements, and light fixtures, Thousands in damage to his neighbor's houses. Not one cent to his.. He thanked that tree.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
Nor'easters Club
We were in South Dakota last October 1st...100 year storm...blizzard , couple of feet of snow...4-5 foot drifts. Our slides were in, jacks down...power post covered with plastic bag...power out 1am Friday till that Tuesday...we were toasty warm and comfortable! Oh, and did I mention I was the only one in the park,including cc hosts that had a snow shovel!
2016 Entegra Anthem 44B
08 Jeep Wrangler,14 Buick Enclave
Bailey our Boston Terrier
ditto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
I've been in storms that blow over pop ups I slept like a baby you can feel gusts. I think the biggest mistake is people leave there awnings out either the wind will take it off or the rain will take it down.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote