Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #15
I've noticed the same since last year on the eastern seaboard. Have had difficulty in the past two weeks, and forget 4th of July.

--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
We live outside of Chicago and boy oh boy it takes A LOT of pre-planning to camp "spur of the moment" Anything within 2/3 hrs outside of Chicago are chock-full on weekends. Luckily I'm a teacher and DH can work mobily so we can go mid-week (a godsend!) We're doing a long haul out west mid-Summer and I made reservations all along the route and I feel much better about heading out! Right now I'm sitting at a cute little campground in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin, and the host told us this is the only weekend he had openings. As of next week he says he's pretty full. This particular park is about 50/50 permanent/temporary sites.

Coleman pop-up
Jayco Kiwi, Jayco Eagle
Monaco Knight 2006
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #17

One of the problems we have noticed with RV Parks is they have quite a few of their sites filled with seasonal are fulltime residences. This is good income for parks but leaves few sites for folks like us that are travelers and or fulltime RVer's. We are in the northeast now and I started over a month in advance planning for a place to be during the July 4th weekend. This is the first time in years I had a very difficult time finding a place that for in advance.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Miss the old days in the Northeast. Pull in, find a empty spot we like and tell the office where we are.

Now it's a challenge six months in advance on line to find a site even close to the water. Finally get there and find the best sites sitting empty because whoever booked them six months before decided not to go and never canceled or booked the week before so they would be sure that had the site on the weekend they wanted.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #19
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
With the noted increase in RV sales, I am finding it extremely difficult this year, in S.E Michigan, to book any type of campsite without booking waaay in advance. Because of this we have changed our camping style from weekend camping to weekday camping. Fortunately we can be flexable because I'm retired and the DW is part time. Is it the same in your area of the country?
I did a thread in a different section of IRV2 a few days ago about this very subject and, the involvement of full timers or, long termers or, Live-ins. And, as usual, it was taken out of context and blown all to heck and back. But, yes, as you've stated, more and more campgrounds, be them private, NF, State, County, etc., just seem to be close to maximum capacity all the time, at least in the normal season.
As I explained in my thread, for years we've never done reservations. We like to travel at will and, we don't have an itinerary and pre-determined destinations. We pack up the coach and head out. I might turn left in the middle of a state where as we had intended to go straight or turn right.
Well, without re-writing that thread here, suffice to say, we, like many of you, will apparently have to start making reservations way, way in advance of a possible departure date. We'll now maybe have to keep a strict itinerary and set of travel plans. That's of course if we want to end up in more prime campgrounds/RV parks.
It's really too bad. We love traveling at will. But, there's always Walmart.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #20
I'm right now sitting in a beautiful campground in Vermont that is only about 1/2 full on a Saturday evening.
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Full most weekends, overcrowded on holiday weekends.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #22
When does the school year end there? It's this week in NY. It's also black fly season. You may find things change a lot in a week or so. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Fire Up, I sent you a P.M..
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #24
On the California central coast, 6 months to a year ahead is the only play...however, once you get this schedule down, it is no big deal
pismocouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:49 AM   #25
A couple years ago, since we are now both retired, inally gave up and took a seasonal in our favorite CG in the Adirondack Park. The NY State owned CGs as well as most others were full and often had waiting lists, making spur of the moment trips difficult. We made the decision to go on extended trips the end of April/early May as well as late August through September, or when school is in session. That has worked out well for us. I spent much of the week there while the DW did 'girl things' with two of our grown daughters - and watched it fill up so by Friday late morning when I left, it was almost full with reservations for the few remaining sites. Returning home the 100 or so miles on I-87, it was a virtual parade of RVs going North.

As far as new CGs being built in the Adirondacks - very difficult as the Adirondack Park Agency/NY State has made permitting in the 6+ million acre/9375 sq mile on private land as our favorite CG owners found when they wanted to expand on land their family had owned for over 100 years.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
What a pleasure camping during the week has been. The last State Park we visited had 200 sites total with only about 25 occupied. It was great!!!
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess all the more reason to set up our coaches to boondock at will. After all, RV travel was from the beginning supposed to be SELF CONTAINED.
jerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #28
I would not go too far down the self contained road. Travel trailers in the 50's had an ice box and propane stove. Toilet in some. No tanks unless it was a port-a-potty type. No generators. No pressure water system. Just a dry place to sleep and eat.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote