Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #29

While everything else around me is full, full and fuller (Williamsburg VA) for Independence Day, Newport News (City) Park has empty spaces. It's reasonably nice but doesn't have sewer hookup.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #30

Its the 4th- always full everywhere!

Old 07-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
I guess all the more reason to set up our coaches to boondock at will. After all, RV travel was from the beginning supposed to be SELF CONTAINED.
I wish we could. There's not a lot of ares around here to boondock. Pretty much stuck with state parks and private CG's. And they are packed!!!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:26 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that online reservations for state and federal parks is causing a lot of this. People can now book up to a year in advance and some book multiple sites with no intention of ever really using them.
We recently stayed at Assateague Island National Seashore in Maryland and the sign at the entrance said the campground was full; it was not anywhere near full, but all sites were spoken for. People don't show or they cancel at the last minute.
As much of a boon the internet has been to everyone, it is not helpful when you have greedy, selfish people who take advantage of it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
While everything else around me is full, full and fuller (Williamsburg VA) for Independence Day, Newport News (City) Park has empty spaces. It's reasonably nice but doesn't have sewer hookup.
Just stayed a few nights at Newport News Park. It is a beautiful campground, an oasis in suburbia. I was surprised they had openings. The guy at the desk told me they usually have plenty of space available even on weekends and rarely fill up unless there is a special event nearby. Close to Williamsburg too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #34

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
When does the school year end there? It's this week in NY. It's also black fly season. You may find things change a lot in a week or so. ;-)
Down here in most of the south, school ends just after Memorial Day or even before (for colleges). But they start back in early to mid August.

And while we don't have the black flies, we have mosquitoes and noseeum's.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #35
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I think that online reservations for state and federal parks is causing a lot of this. People can now book up to a year in advance and some book multiple sites with no intention of ever really using them.
We recently stayed at Assateague Island National Seashore in Maryland and the sign at the entrance said the campground was full; it was not anywhere near full, but all sites were spoken for. People don't show or they cancel at the last minute.
As much of a boon the internet has been to everyone, it is not helpful when you have greedy, selfish people who take advantage of it.
Unfortunately for those that show up at the gate, the CG owner has to hold empty sites for as long as the cost of the deposit paid just in case they show up.

We were more or less 'no shows' at 4 CGs this spring due to illness but at least called and released those sites so others wouldn't be left at the local Flying J or Walmart. Of those, only one, a state CG, didn't return our deposit since I called. Some folks just don't care that they will lose X number of dollars, but I sure hate to 'burn' away money with nothing to show.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #36

Yes sir there sure are a lot of "long termers or, live-ins" at the majority of the cg's here in Texas. I'm going to have to check that out though. I keep getting inundated with calls from many cg's to just buy the lot and its there for the asking anytime I want it. I don't know about that scenario yet since I like to drive around and find new places to visit.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #37

wow this Texas heat lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13450784_989074394543737_6361921063933809105_n.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	132500   Click image for larger version

Name:	13592595_1000778790039964_8244000514074867177_n.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	132501  

Click image for larger version

Name:	13606854_1003111069806736_4858108511344017485_n.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	132502  
Old 07-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have two popular COE CG's here, along with one state park and a couple of private ones.

It's usually not a problem to get a site except on holidays.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are located in the souther part of Texas; San Antonio, and we have not run into any such problems as of yet. With that being said, since we are not yet full-timers and may not be for several years to come, we always book to stay in a RV Park billed as a RV Resort. There are many of them in this part of the State and given that the rates for these type of parks are considerably higher than a state run campground is probably a strong reason why we did not currently experience any type of booking problem. I am a Good Sam Life Member but that doesn't really carry any significant weight.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
We just got back from a 7 day outing to a local SP. Friday and Saturday, it was full. Sunday thru Thursday night we pretty much had the place to ourselves. This trip was booked back in April or May or we never would have had a spot for the weekend. Really preferred the quiet weekday camping experience over the weekend days. I must be becoming a grumpy old man!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
We just got back from a 7 day outing to a local SP. Friday and Saturday, it was full. Sunday thru Thursday night we pretty much had the place to ourselves. This trip was booked back in April or May or we never would have had a spot for the weekend. Really preferred the quiet weekday camping experience over the weekend days. I must be becoming a grumpy old man!
Maybe it's just case of "been there, done that?" I certainly did, my kids are now all grown, out on there own, living their lives. So, what does that mean? Pepper, I'm with you. When I'm out at a CG, I'm not interested in chaos all over the place.

As an example, last Memorial Day, we were at Jellystone/Yogi Bear CG. It is a chain with several locations. Mostly we went there for the benefit of my GD, 7 yrs old. It was HOT, so we head to the pool complex. Yes, a complex of 4 pools with one of them incorporating a water park, again mostly for kids up to age 10 or so.

Every pool was full of kids. Even the one that appeared to be for adults. Parents lounging about having beer after beer not having a care in the world. Needless to say, I won't be back.

I suppose that made me an A Dult for going there in the first place. Funny thing is, even under Campgrounds Forum on Irv2, folks are touting the place.

Oh well, on to greener pastures.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #42

FWIW we look for Jellystone or KOA when traveling any time except summer. Good WiFi and small crowd. We stay home on the Holiday weekends and hot summer days to enjoy the pool and the A/C in the house. ;-)

Tags
campground