Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How congested are your area campgrounds?

With the noted increase in RV sales, I am finding it extremely difficult this year, in S.E Michigan, to book any type of campsite without booking waaay in advance. Because of this we have changed our camping style from weekend camping to weekday camping. Fortunately we can be flexable because I'm retired and the DW is part time. Is it the same in your area of the country?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We camp at a local COE and most of the time is only half full. With exception of the holiday weekends like the 4th of July. I avoid going out on holiday weekends. I like going during the week (fishing camping) and go home on weekends to mow the lawn.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

Same way in Texas. May thru mid Sep. Coe and state parks are crowded especially around lakes. Spring and Fall less crowded even around attractions except for weekends and holidays.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

The whole NE has a similar problem. It started when they put in reservation systems. Folks started booking in popular spots in January so they would have them. Then they cancel at the last minute if they decide not to go. Many do not bother to cancel but the systems will not let the sites be rented as long as there is no cancellation.

Given my druthers it beats the old system of rolling rents of empty campers and long lines at the gate. At least I know I can get in when I get there. We also like the mid week trip now that we can because places are open for business but the lines are shorter and the parks quieter.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

Yes, all winter long with the snow birds here in Florida !
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #6

Yes. Parks are much more full. Haven't bern turned away yet but have been denied adding days here and there It has been bad enough that I make reservations for one night stop overs 1 or 2 dsys in advace yo be sure I have a spot. Never had to worry over the past 7 years until now.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We leave on vacation next Friday and staying primarily at state parks. Up thru the UP, west across to South Dakota, south to KC then east back home. Started making reservation back in November and a few camp grounds were nearly full within a few hours after the reservation window opened. Lewis and Clark Rec Area in eastern South Dakota in particular. We have our reservations in for the remainder of this camping season and some parks, even three - four months out on an average summer weekend, were almost full. It sure was fun and convenient while it lasted have the pick of camp sites.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bound to happen with the surge in RV sales.... more RV's and few new campgrounds/RV parks.

We are fortunate to be able to go after Labor Day and before Memorial Day (retired now). We plan to hit the road back out West right after school starts in late August so hope avoid the issue. We traveled cross country in June, July, August and Sept in 2014 right after I retired and had some difficulty getting decent RV sites, especially on weekends and over the July 4th weekend. That was the last time we will travel in the middle of the summer.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Bound to happen with the surge in RV sales.... more RV's and few new campgrounds/RV parks.

We traveled cross country in June, July, August and Sept in 2014 right after I retired and had some difficulty getting decent RV sites, especially on weekends and over the July 4th weekend. That was the last time we will travel in the middle of the summer.
That's why I posed the question. We will start FT'ing next year and I'm a little concerned about site availability out west.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
That's why I posed the question. We will start FT'ing next year and I'm a little concerned about site availability out west.
Actually, it was more related to time of year than location. As soon as we got past Labor Day, things really opened up. Now on our 3 month trip this past Jan, Feb and March, we traveled from Virginia to Arizona and never had any problem getting nice spots in RV parks.

Our best trips to the West were in Sept and October.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The local Good Sam club we used to belong to went to weekday camping for that reason a few years ago. Both of us were still working and had two grandsons still in school so we dropped out. A few months ago we looked at the club again and they're still doing the same thing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #12

In BC Canada, spaces become available 3 months ahead. it's so bad you have to book online the minute it's available else you will not get a place. If your sometimes a couple hours off you SOL. 😨
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #13

FWIW It seems to me that if I was full timing I would seriously look at figuring out where to make reservations for the 3 summer holidays and the last week in July and first week in August. That covers the big family times. Some places will take more than that because they are always full.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #14

Yes, and it isn't just the hot spots either. Our local RV park consists mostly of full-timers. They have one a handful of spots where the short term people stay. People traveling through stay from a week to a few months. It started to fill up in April and we have only seen sporadic openings midweek. We wanted to get a spot for 2 to 3 days to work out some kinks before our summer travels and haven't been able to. In this case, I think it has become a spring/summer landing spot for the folks who are south in the winter.

Last year, and the two prior years, we traveled with no reservations and had no problems. With the exception of our base in Colorado, we always reserve that spot ahead of time. This summer dh made reservations for our entire trip. I'm not a planner and was a little miffed to have pressure to be somewhere on a set date. This is one of those times that I'm happy dh didn't listen to me.

TravelingTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground